Albums you hated at first, but love now
Aug 26, 2004 at 5:10 PM Post #31 of 85
I still go back to my Beck CDs. Not Jeff Beck, just Beck. There is something natural about the music. Not sure what it is. Not all of it's great, but I like most of it.

Also, 311 before they had money to spend on making bad albums. There first album, "MUSIC" is a classic in my mind. One of those rare finds.

Aug 27, 2004 at 1:26 AM Post #32 of 85
The Strokes - Is This It?

Listened to it at my friends place once and didn't see what the big deal about it was ... until I burned a copy and listened to it on a long drive .. listened to it constantly for a few weeks.

It's still one of my favorites ...

Aug 27, 2004 at 1:36 AM Post #33 of 85
I didn't like Blues Traveler at first, but then they started to grow on me... In college, a friend of mine forced me to go to a concert at the Folsom Fieldhouse... Eventually, I came around, and even bought the "Things to do in Denver When You're Dead" soundtrack, containing only one very incredible Blues Traveler song.

Aug 27, 2004 at 6:08 AM Post #34 of 85
BRMC - Take Them On, On Your Own.

When I first heard this, I thought it was downright boring. It turned out I was right, but it was obnoxious, and noisy - my kind of album.

Edit: Whoa, just checked sno1man's post. Looks like I'll be sampling some Husker Du soon.

Aug 27, 2004 at 2:25 PM Post #35 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by sno1man
Husker Du- New Day Rising

It was so harsh and noisy compared to what I was listening to at the time (Neil Young, Tim Buckley)

Then I realized it was truly inspired harsh and noisy

One of my favorite albums to this day and one I play on my MP3 player when I want to run hard

Husker Du is one of those great bands that doesn't get the attention today that they deserve.

Aug 27, 2004 at 7:04 PM Post #36 of 85
Kyuss - Blues for the Red Sun

At first I only liked it for two or three songs. Then one day, while I was sick and discovered that nothing was on TV, I put the CD on and listened to it while not doing anything else for the first time. Suddenly, it became this great work of art with a beautiful light/heavy mixture and a couple memorable instrumental tracks.

Queens of the Stone Age - R

I never respected R because I was trying to compare it to the radio hits off Songs for the Deaf, which were very heavy compared to most of R's tracks. Listening to it again, it's a great Sunday morning CD. A bit slower and more open for the most part, with enough of a punch to make it heavy at the right moments.

Aug 29, 2004 at 12:47 PM Post #37 of 85
I actually didn't like Dark Side of the Moon the first time I listened to it. I thought it sounded too dark(no pun intended) compared to Wish You Were Here which I'd listened to before. Now I think DSOTM is awesome and almost as good as WYWH.
cool.gif

Sep 4, 2004 at 6:21 AM Post #38 of 85
This happens to me all the time, which is why I usually don't judge a cd's quality until I listen through it several times. The most recent one was Stereolab's Cobra and Phases Group Play Voltage In The Milky Night.

I hated the singer's voice and the strange instruments at first, but it grew on me and is now in constant rotation.

Sep 4, 2004 at 11:44 PM Post #39 of 85
never really liked OP/ED from GA series except "Horoscope Rhapsody" but those OPs are really catchy and grew on me... same with shinobuden OP, bit annoying at first but now i listen to it occasionally :
600smile.gif

Sep 5, 2004 at 5:06 AM Post #40 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by hottyson
The Smiths - The Queen is Dead
I remember saying to my sister, "How can you listen to that crap?" I didn't think that Morrissey had a very good voice back then but it eventually grew on me and I love this album.

The Smiths - Meat is Murder
I don't like this album as much but it is still pretty good.
280smile.gif

I hated the Smiths when I first heard them (I think I was in middle school at the time), but I was at a party sometime after high school and Girlfriend In A Coma was playing. I loved it so much that I asked to borrow the cd. Now they're one of my favorite bands.

Sep 5, 2004 at 12:31 PM Post #41 of 85
Bach Goldberg Variations. Nothing special at the beginning. Now, there's nothing better than a good deal of Glen Gould after a stressful day of labour. Balsam for the soul.

Oct 15, 2008 at 1:47 PM Post #43 of 85
Time to revive. LoL

Pink Floyd's Atom Heart Mother was one of my least favorite Floyd albums that Roger Waters was a part of. For years I just didn't get it. Better headphones makes all the difference.

Porcupine Tree's In Absentia was a disappointment after liking The Sky Moves Sideways. Now I really appreciate it.

Oct 15, 2008 at 3:11 PM Post #44 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by sno1man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Husker Du- New Day Rising

It was so harsh and noisy compared to what I was listening to at the time (Neil Young, Tim Buckley)

I can't honestly say I "love" it even now, but my initial feelings were unfavorable—funnily enough, however, for the diametric opposite reason of sno1man's. At that time, I'd been so, so, sooooo into Zen Arcade, the Dü double album that preceded it, that I felt New Day Rising sounded too samey. When the dust settled, I realized that was absolutely not true.

Also, wasn't all that crazy about TV On The Radio's Return To Cookie Mountain when I first heard it. Now, I'm just over the moon about it. Not too long ago, I got it on vinyl, a limited edition double-LP…remixes, etc, the whole thing's awesome.

I know my friends are expecting me to come around on Kanye West's music; hasn't happened yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back