Albums you hated at first, but love now
Aug 24, 2004 at 6:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 85

rextrade

500+ Head-Fier
I don't know if anyone has had similar experiences, but many of my all time favorite CDs weren't instant hits with me--I guess I was underwhelmed when I first heard them, but grew to love them over the years. (And there's also the related phenomenon of growing tired of a CD that blows you away at first).

One of my biggest would have to be "Loveless" by My Bloody Valentine. I heard it was a fantastic groundbreaking album, but when I first heard it I found it to be a poorly produced mess. I heard it a few times after that and ignored it, until one late night at a friend's apartment, someone put it on. My guard was down or something, and the CD just blew me away, and it's been one of my favorites for the past ten years or so.

Another is Radiohead's "Kid A". The first time I heard it it sounded whiney and overproduced, but after being urged by a friend to listen to it some more, it's one of my favorite CDs ever.

Anyone else?

Aug 24, 2004 at 7:02 PM Post #2 of 85
ElectricLarryLand by Butthole Surfers and that remix CD by Bush. was about to sell them both, then i started to like them.

same with King for a Day by Faith No More. thought i didn't like it, but now it is (and has been for a long time) in my top 5 CDs.

Aug 24, 2004 at 7:42 PM Post #3 of 85
All the best albums are creepers, those that you love at first normally turn out to be one week wonders. I couldn't stand Roger Water's "amused to death" album when I first got it but a year later and I was in love with it.

Aug 24, 2004 at 8:04 PM Post #4 of 85
I hated "Led Zeppelin III" when it was first released. As I matured I gradually grew to appreciate Zeppelin's acoustic side. Oddly, I loved Radiohead's "Kid A" immediately but was utterly disappointed with "Hail To The Thief." I still love "Kid A," but I like "Hail To The Thief" much more than I did initially.

Aug 24, 2004 at 8:05 PM Post #5 of 85
Well, I never hated them, but at first I thought they were just average. Now I love them.

Kansas - LeftOverture
Dido - No Angel

Aug 24, 2004 at 8:44 PM Post #6 of 85
Amon Tobin -- Permutation
Radiohead -- OK Computer (would you believe I fell asleep the first time I listened to this, then didn't listen again for four months?)

Aug 24, 2004 at 9:00 PM Post #8 of 85
702 - Star

I Got the 702 for my birthday and when I heard it i thought it was crap, but a couple a months later I listened to it again and now I can't get enough of it.
600smile.gif

Aug 24, 2004 at 9:35 PM Post #10 of 85
Mine is Radiohead's "Kid A." Actually, I didn't hate it but thought that it was overrated. Now I think it's godly and actually prefer it to the older Radiohead albums, even "OK Computer," which I love.

Oh, I did hate "Beautiful Maladies" by Tom Waits. First time I heard it, I was like, "what is this ****!" It sounds great to me now, especially with a good pair of headphones. It's like eye candy for your ears.

Aug 25, 2004 at 2:08 AM Post #11 of 85
Public Image Ltd. - Metal Box / Second Edition
Public Image Ltd. - The Flowers of Romance
Joy Division - Closer
Starsailor - Love is Here
Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark - Dazzle Ships
New Order - Movement
Weezer - Pinkerton

i'm sure there's a lot more... but i can't think of them right now. but i always find the most difficult album often turns out to be the most rewarding.

conversely, the first half minute into "Loveless," i loved it.

Aug 25, 2004 at 2:26 AM Post #13 of 85
"Before The Flood". I could not get past Bob Dylan's voice at first, and only liked a few tracks as a result. Then as I listened to it more and more I learned to like it, and today I love virtually all of the songs, Bob Dylan and all.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 25, 2004 at 2:51 AM Post #14 of 85
Nirvana's Nevermind and Beck's Odelay. My remote played them 24hours a day until they dug their way into my skull, laid eggs and died. Their offspring were killed by depriving them of oxygen (fumigation with THC). He and I had similair Sony minisystems and I used to use my remote to ***** with his stereo. He thought his brand new stereo was broken for a week. It was almost 8 years before I listened to either album again.
biggrin.gif

Aug 25, 2004 at 3:30 AM Post #15 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by bong
Public Image Ltd. - Metal Box / Second Edition
Public Image Ltd. - The Flowers of Romance
Joy Division - Closer
Starsailor - Love is Here
Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark - Dazzle Ships
New Order - Movement
Weezer - Pinkerton

i'm sure there's a lot more... but i can't think of them right now. but i always find the most difficult album often turns out to be the most rewarding.

conversely, the first half minute into "Loveless," i loved it.

I bought PIL - Metal Box several months ago and still havent gotten used to it... I definitely give you credit for being able to get through Johnny Rotten's shrill singing.

Weezer was one of the bands that I always hated because of their fans (******** emo kids) and because of Rivers Cuomo's Asian girl fetish/obsession. However, after listening to their first 3 albums, I've got to admit their hooks can be damn catchy.

The album that took me the longest to fully appreciate (almost one year of listening) was probably Spiritualized - Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space.... probably because one of my most vivid memories of that album was driving with a killer migraine brought about by drinking and the droning free jazz freakouts on that album.

Another album was The Clash's US Debut album, which would probably strike most listeners as harsh and unrefined upon first listen (especially if you've listened to London Calling first). However, this album quickly became one of the few in my collection I listen to without hitting the Skip button. IMO, the best punk album ever made.

My other picks would be Pixies - Surfer Rosa and Boogie Down Productions - Criminal Minded

Users who are viewing this thread

Back