Albums you hated at first, but love now
Oct 30, 2008 at 8:01 AM Post #62 of 85
I don't think that's ever happened.

EDIT: Actually, that's incorrected. The first time I heard the Zombies "Odyssey and Oracle" I wrote it off as a mediocre 60s psychedelic album, but after a couple listens I now like it very much.

Nov 9, 2008 at 12:47 PM Post #63 of 85
Low - David Bowie. When I first heard it, I couldn't understand for the life of me what I was listening to. I just didn't get it. But then I listened to it again, once, six or so months later, and now it's one of my favourite albums. Same with "Heroes", as well.

Nov 9, 2008 at 2:06 PM Post #64 of 85
Armchair Apocrypha by Andrew Bird: I didn't hate it, but I was very disappointed because it deviated from his previous album (The Mysterious Production of Eggs). However, now I think they're both on even ground (AKA AMAZING)

Music Hole by Camille: Once again I was disappointed after listening to Le Fil. Now, while it has a very different style, I enjoy it.

On the other side...

Systematic Chaos by Dream Theater: After listening to this for the first time, I decided I HAD to get another album, because I loved it. I listened to it almost exclusively for like two weeks. However, after a while, I realized that it was pretty sucky. (I didn't get sick of it, I just realized that the songs weren't as interesting as in their other albums)

Nov 10, 2008 at 4:27 AM Post #67 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by rextrade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know if anyone has had similar experiences, but many of my all time favorite CDs weren't instant hits with me--I guess I was underwhelmed when I first heard them, but grew to love them over the years. (And there's also the related phenomenon of growing tired of a CD that blows you away at first).

One of my biggest would have to be "Loveless" by My Bloody Valentine. I heard it was a fantastic groundbreaking album, but when I first heard it I found it to be a poorly produced mess. I heard it a few times after that and ignored it, until one late night at a friend's apartment, someone put it on. My guard was down or something, and the CD just blew me away, and it's been one of my favorites for the past ten years or so.

Another is Radiohead's "Kid A". The first time I heard it it sounded whiney and overproduced, but after being urged by a friend to listen to it some more, it's one of my favorite CDs ever.

Anyone else?

Well, I would never have been caught dead listening to George Michael's Faith when it first came out. Now I regard it as groundbreaking in my listening history. Must be an 80s thing.
Don't plan on exploring any of his other stuff though.

Hated any thing I heard from the Jam when I was in high school (late 70s). Now I regard Paul Weller as another musical earthshaker.

A couple of decades ago I would never have given opera a second listen either. These days, after a couple beers, the overture from Wagner's The Flying Dutchman (Von Karajan) can bring me to tears. There are others of course...

Mar 13, 2009 at 5:06 AM Post #68 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by tru blu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, wasn't all that crazy about TV On The Radio's Return To Cookie Mountain when I first heard it. Now, I'm just over the moon about it. Not too long ago, I got it on vinyl, a limited edition double-LP…remixes, etc, the whole thing's awesome.

I know my friends are expecting me to come around on Kanye West's music; hasn't happened yet.

This happened to me with TV On The Radio's new record, Dear Science. It got album of the year from a few places so I picked it up, and at first listen I didn't get the number 1 spot. After a few hundred listens later I get what makes it so good (although I still think Fleet Foxes should have gotten top spot).

Mar 13, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #69 of 85
ColdPlay ~ X&Y

I found it rather boring the first couple of listens when I first bought it. I shelved it and then kept hearing he odd song from the album on satellite radio. I realized I liked those songs and once I listened to the full CD began to really appreciate the soundscapes.

Nine Inch Nails ~ Pretty Hate Machine

I bought it on release day way back when based solely on Rolling Stone's College Top Twenty (no internets for the public back then, scary I know). Man, that 'industrial' stuff was noise to my ears and shocking to everyone I played it for. I was into Bauhaus but nothing like this. Today, that album is one of my favorites and tame in comparison what one can listen to now.

Jane's Addiction ~ Nothing's Shocking

Similar to the NIN reasons. However, this one quickly grew on me when hallucigens were introduced to the mix. A perfect combination. Actually that could be said for a LOT of listening experiences. Now I can forego the 'supplies' and listen to the album sans enhancements.

Mar 13, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #70 of 85
Not gonna go with specific albums here.

I used to be turned off by weird vocals entirely - Tom Waits, The Mars Volta, and anything with screaming/growling was a no-no. Now, I listen to harsh vocals all the time. I find it funny when people bitch and moan about a band's vocals the first time they hear them, because then I can just feel more mature and tolerant than the people that complain about the first thing they take ire with (to the point that they won't even listen to the band).

Mar 13, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #72 of 85
Interesting that you mentioned Mars Volta - I actually like Cedric's vocals a lot (although, I'll admit they are weird). I listen to a fair amount of metal, but I still prefer clean vocals over the harsher ones. I don't really hate the harsher vocals, but I usually just don't feel that they add anything to the music. I listen to a few bands with death vocals because I enjoy the rest of the music so much, but I would probably enjoy them just as much as instrumentals (more in some cases). Black metal raspy vocals on the other hand....I just find them too comical. Hard to get into a metal song if you are giggling.

Anyway, on topic....The Ocean - Precambrian. Took me a while to get into it, but it just clicked after about the 5th time listening, and now I love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back