Albums you hated at first, but love now
Oct 17, 2008 at 4:18 PM Post #48 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by latershow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm siding with the masses here but "OK Computer" was an album that had me quite cold on first listen, put it aside for a while then came back..... glad I did!

Kid A was actually the only Radiohead album that I loved right from the get-go, still do, but not as much as the album that preceeded it

Totally agreed, perhaps because I was already used to OK Computer and their style, and Kid A isnt that different.

Oct 17, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #49 of 85
Momentary Lapse of Reason and Division Bell by Pink Floyd. While I got to know PF via Meddle and Atom Heart Mother I couldn't understand these two albums and they sounded too 'poppy' to me. It took good months for me to try to take a grab of these albums but it worked and I love them as much as I love Meddle or Dark Side. Who knows, maybe I'll learn to love The Final Cut as well?

Oct 20, 2008 at 1:42 AM Post #50 of 85
Back when Talking Heads were 'new' I had a friend who was really into them. He played Fear of Music a fair amount - which I really didn't 'get'.

Ironically, I'd say Talking Heads were the start of where my musical journey would take me. I'm much more interested in a musical challenge than 'pop', and have been from that point onward really.

Oct 20, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #51 of 85
Back in the days of cassettes, my brother had a Pioneer 6 disk cartridge CD player that I pirated his CDs from. One Pavement tape ended up with the first 3 or 4 tracks from Archer's of Loaf's "Icky Mettle". I utterly hated the apparently raucous mess at first, but after a few enforced listens at work on my walkman grew to love them.

Hated The Clientele's first 2 albums when I heard them. I would have described them as bland and cheesey. Now they are soothing and relaxing.

Much of my iTunes library is littered with albums that I hope (or I know) will grow on me. These include Radiohead's Kid A and PFs Atom Heart Mother.

Oct 24, 2008 at 4:01 PM Post #52 of 85
I bought these artist base on good reviews, however it to me 5-10 years before I really appreciated their music

Richard Thompson
Robert Cray

I guess music taste change with age
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 26, 2008 at 3:01 AM Post #55 of 85
The first few times I listened to A Perfect Circle I didn't really like them too much and thought they were just ok. Nowadays they're one of my favorite bands and I can't stop listening to them.

Oct 28, 2008 at 12:10 AM Post #57 of 85
When I started as a research assistant at my university back in 2003, I found a copy of Acid Bath-When The Kite String Pops that the previous user of the desk left behind. There was no way to get back in contact with him so the disc ended up being assimilated into my collection. First time I put it into my player, I hated the sound and I hated the style and promptly tossed it back into the closet. I didn't pull it out again until 2006 when I was cleaning up. This was about 1 year into my tenure with Head-fi and I had collected a large range of music since then. I gave it another shot then and instantly regretted not having given it a second chance earlier and was relieved at the same time for not having thrown it out at the time.

Oct 28, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #58 of 85
Hotel California. I just couldn't stand the album's title song every time I heard it on the radio. I've always been a fun of the Eagles. But it was just so different. Eventually it grew on me and is now one of my favorite all time best songs. I read that the song's ending in the album is the way it is because they could not figure out a way to end it.

Oct 28, 2008 at 3:54 AM Post #59 of 85
Meshuggah's- Catch 33.

Like nails on a blackboard on first listen; now one of my favorite all time albums.

Oct 29, 2008 at 9:18 PM Post #60 of 85
Bowie - Space Oddity

Was used to Aladin Sane, Pinups and Ziggy Stardust so thought Space Oddity was too acoustic and wimpy for my tastes at the time. After a few more listens I really grew to like it though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back