Album that got you into music?
Jul 25, 2007 at 6:17 AM Post #17 of 116
Well, here's another vote for Radiohead, but this time I must speak up for OK Computer. A great, desert island album. Also fitting this topic, I have to give props to Fatboy Slim's You've Come Along Way Baby.

Jul 25, 2007 at 6:27 AM Post #18 of 116
Might have been the album "1984" by Van Halen, in.... 1984.

Jul 25, 2007 at 6:29 AM Post #19 of 116
Gotta be....

6a00c2251cc2dc8fdb00c225271802549d-500pi

icon10.gif

Jul 25, 2007 at 8:38 AM Post #20 of 116
Music has been a favorite pastime since I was little, but Tool - Lateralus helped me to open my eyes. Ironic, because I don't like many things about Tool's music anymore (including Lateralus), but they opened my eyes to one of my favorite genres of music and helped me to take music more seriously from then on...so I suppose I owe them something
tongue.gif

Jul 25, 2007 at 10:54 AM Post #21 of 116
There has been music of all sorts in my life since I can remember. For some reason I have always had a strong recollection of Light My Fire by The Doors being the first song I was conscious of - I was 2 1/2 when it was released.

I also remember playing a cassette of Abbey Road over and over - that one came out when I was 5.

My 16-month-old daughter is going to have a similar experience. For a while her favorite was Mozart, then Kind of Blue by Miles Davis and now Love Supreme by John Coltrane. She's also a big fan of Spoon, Built to Spill, Bob Dylan and just about any kind of Reggae. I can tell because she air drums and bobs her head.

Jul 25, 2007 at 12:48 PM Post #24 of 116
Thaichovsky's Nutcracker Suite...at the age of 5

Jul 25, 2007 at 1:21 PM Post #25 of 116
Same here. Can't really pinpoint a particular single/song/piece of music (my parents say "Yellow Submarine" by The Beatles) but my adult addiction definitely occured on listening to the following two albums for the first time on the same day: "How Dare You" by 10cc and "Variations" by Andrew Lloyd Webber.

From that day I bought albums and listened to them, as albums.
Quote:

Originally Posted by kyleisgreat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe not the album that got me into modern music, but the first that got me into listening to albums as a whole was Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory.I was fourteen, ok?

Jul 25, 2007 at 1:33 PM Post #26 of 116
first thing that comes to mind is Dookie by Green Day. I think that was the first cd I bought myself and really loved. I must have been in 4th grade or something.

Also, I have fond memories of my dad showing me the Pulp Fiction OST and Moving Pictures by Rush. I really liked it.

now i listen to black, death, viking metal haha. but thats how it always starts...very small...

Jul 25, 2007 at 2:32 PM Post #28 of 116
i was always into music since i was little, i recorded stuff off the radio and had bought tons of cassettes. however it was all basically Top40 radio stuff (which back in the 80's was quite good stuff actually; nice mix of alternative/new wave, heavy metal, rock, pop, even bits of hip hop/rap).

i didn't get serious about music until i bought this album on CD (which BTW was my first CD)
41EX2SEAJ6L._AA240_.jpg

The Cure - Staring at the Sea.
i bought it in 1989, 4 years after it's release. at the time i was still well into heavy metal (Iron Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth, GnR, etc.) but the interest in metal was waning and wanted something more eclectic.. besides, i was always fascinated with the British indie new wavey alternative what-have-you side of things. another reason was that a friend of mine included "A Forest" and "Inbetween Days" in a mixed tape and i had to have a CD that had both songs, also hearing "Just Like Heaven" and "Lovesong" on the radio i knew i found my favourite band.

Staring at the Sea helped snowball my music buying habits, which still resonates to this day. it's probably the most important CD in my collection.

Jul 25, 2007 at 2:44 PM Post #29 of 116
The first time I became interested in listening to music was probably when I was forced to, because I was given an iTunes gift certificate on my birthday. I downloaded DJ Tiesto - Parade of the Athletes.

Jul 25, 2007 at 3:13 PM Post #30 of 116
Well, what got me into the type of music (and passion) that I have now is Led Zeppelin IV. I'm only 19, but I absolutely love that type of music. The "secondary" album that did it again was DSOTM, and now albums like Hard Again (Muddy Waters) and Live: Now appearing at Ole' Miss (B.B. King) are doing the same for the blues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back