Alambic Ears - Impressions thread - Mentawai, Mavericks, Mundaka, Noosa
Dec 9, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #121 of 314
So, first impressions of Mentawai after a couple of hours - I figure things are going to settle as the DD burn is - but still, I always value first impressions.
Those are from FiiO M17 in desktop mode so a pretty powerful and clean source.

If you remember my Mundaka review when I wrote "Think of Mundaka as a good excuse to satisfy your inner basshead without compromising your audiophile backbone" ?
Well, Mentawai takes this philosophy all the way to flagship level and I could write "Think of Mentawai as the flagship that will wow your audiophile aspirations while not forgetting to satisfy your inner basshead".

Mentawai features a highly engaging tuning like the Mundaka but with the technicalities of the more neutral Noosa. The stage is not the widest but stands out by its excellent height and depth, it's very balanced and more circle shaped than elliptical. Don't expect stadium like stage on the other hand, Mentawai features big, bold instruments size (yet separation is excellent) and as we'll see a tad forward midrange (especially in the vocal range) but for this kind of signature it's as good as it gets.

Bass are powerful consistent with the house sound of Alambic Ears. Like the Mundaka tis is a bass that commands your attention with a lot of power. As far as bass is concerned, the Mentawai means business! They slam with authority and give a spotlight to the bass line and in that sense it's a very rhythmic IEM deeply grounded with excellent sub bass. It does so with a snappy attack and a natural decay both granting a good sense of speed but also a realistic and very "tactile" feel with its rich textures. To me it's a bit faster and agile than the Mundaka making it even more versatile in its ability to handle all genres.

Mids is where Mentawai departs from the Mundaka : while it's also a full engaging midrange smooth and natural, it's also a more mature midrange (as it should). First, there is a tad more bite to instruments building on the lively nature on Mundaka. Second, Mentawai features significantly better separation. This shows on larger ensembles where imaging is greatly enhanced from Mundaka. Third, Mentawai - as a flagship should - has the ability to convey a lot more nuances with its 7 drivers and has a more accurate timbre to instruments although there is a clear warm hue to its mids it's more on the side of naturalness. This makes it overall more versatile and more suited to acoustic genres than the Mundaka.

Last but not least, the treble brings the same balance to its signature that the Mundaka did with its treble given its powerful thunderous bass but this is where it really gains its flagship status. 4 EST is state of the art setup these days and it clearly bring Mentawai the air, the resolution and imaging precision that I have come to expect but where the Mentawai shines is that it combines this qualities with an energetic lower treble that has excellent note weight. This clearly shows on piano notes where the weight and impact and a tad longer decay of notes is more akin to the best BA than pure EST and I suspect something is going on there with the BAs. For all their greatness even 4 EST setup don't reach the best BA in terms of note weight in lower treble. This has gotten better but not to the point of reaching this kind of lower treble. Note that energy and weight must not be confused with any treble hotness for there are no offending peaks in the Mentawai signature. Not that there was any in the Mundaka or Noosa either, but Fred clearly push both the upper mids and lower treble to more energetic brand.

Despite this very engaging brand of sound between the bass sheer power, tad forward mids with good bite and energetic lower treble the Mentawai remains smooth at all times. It won't be a relaxed listen though those babies command your attention!

Dec 9, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #122 of 314
So, first impressions of Mentawai after a couple of hours - I figure things are going to settle as the DD burn is - but still, I always value first impressions.
Those are from FiiO M17 in desktop mode so a pretty powerful and clean source.

If you remember my Mundaka review when I wrote "Think of Mundaka as a good excuse to satisfy your inner basshead without compromising your audiophile backbone" ?
Well, Mentawai takes this philosophy all the way to flagship level and I could write "Think of Mentawai as the flagship that will wow your audiophile aspirations while not forgetting to satisfy your inner basshead".

Mentawai features a highly engaging tuning like the Mundaka but with the technicalities of the more neutral Noosa. The stage is not the widest but stands out by its excellent height and depth, it's very balanced and more circle shaped than elliptical. Don't expect stadium like stage on the other hand, Mentawai features big, bold instruments size (yet separation is excellent) and as we'll see a tad forward midrange (especially in the vocal range) but for this kind of signature it's as good as it gets.

Bass are powerful consistent with the house sound of Alambic Ears. Like the Mundaka tis is a bass that commands your attention with a lot of power. As far as bass is concerned, the Mentawai means business! They slam with authority and give a spotlight to the bass line and in that sense it's a very rhythmic IEM deeply grounded with excellent sub bass. It does so with a snappy attack and a natural decay both granting a good sense of speed but also a realistic and very "tactile" feel with its rich textures. To me it's a bit faster and agile than the Mundaka making it even more versatile in its ability to handle all genres.

Mids is where Mentawai departs from the Mundaka : while it's also a full engaging midrange smooth and natural, it's also a more mature midrange (as it should). First, there is a tad more bite to instruments building on the lively nature on Mundaka. Second, Mentawai features significantly better separation. This shows on larger ensembles where imaging is greatly enhanced from Mundaka. Third, Mentawai - as a flagship should - has the ability to convey a lot more nuances with its 7 drivers and has a more accurate timbre to instruments although there is a clear warm hue to its mids it's more on the side of naturalness. This makes it overall more versatile and more suited to acoustic genres than the Mundaka.

Last but not least, the treble brings the same balance to its signature that the Mundaka did with its treble given its powerful thunderous bass but this is where it really gains its flagship status. 4 EST is state of the art setup these days and it clearly bring Mentawai the air, the resolution and imaging precision that I have come to expect but where the Mentawai shines is that it combines this qualities with an energetic lower treble that has excellent note weight. This clearly shows on piano notes where the weight and impact and a tad longer decay of notes is more akin to the best BA than pure EST and I suspect something is going on there with the BAs. For all their greatness even 4 EST setup don't reach the best BA in terms of note weight in lower treble. This has gotten better but not to the point of reaching this kind of lower treble. Note that energy and weight must not be confused with any treble hotness for there are no offending peaks in the Mentawai signature. Not that there was any in the Mundaka or Noosa either, but Fred clearly push both the upper mids and lower treble to more energetic brand.

Despite this very engaging brand of sound between the bass sheer power, tad forward mids with good bite and energetic lower treble the Mentawai remains smooth at all times. It won't be a relaxed listen though those babies command your attention!

These impressions align well with my own. There's a grip and weight to the upper mids and lower treble that helps with piano alot. It's quite different to the EST implementations I've heard elsewhere, so I think the BAs are picking up some slack here. Overall its just very natural and 'embodied' with the physicality that I need from my IEMs.

On the topic of bass - I can't fault it. It's not excessive such that you're losing the detail and richness that acoustic instruments offer down low but it's thumpy and rumbly enough when it matters for dramatic effect.

Spot on about stage...it's not the widest but height and depth is excellent.

I'm learning that the Mentawai universal is very tip dependent. Initially the mids were too forward but with deeper insertion and shallower tips the signature rounds out to what I feel was the expected presentation.

See how you go over time with burn in. I've heard separation improve and the treble become slightly smoother.

It's the first time in a long time that I have no upgrade-itis. Fred nailed my preferred signature. It's an organic, tactile, airy, detailed and midforward signature that can manage all my library.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2021 at 11:22 PM Post #124 of 314
Any additional mentawai impressions? I'm intrigued but still on the fence. @davidmolliere have you had any more thoughts about them? How do they compare to the EXT?

Dec 28, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #125 of 314
I hesitate between the Volt and the Mundaka 🤔 .
Is there someone who could advise me?
The shell of the Mundaka is it smaller than the Volt?

Dec 28, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #126 of 314
Any additional mentawai impressions? I'm intrigued but still on the fence. @davidmolliere have you had any more thoughts about them? How do they compare to the EXT?
My Mentawai are in for adjustements, so you'll have to wait a bit... but quick comparison : the EXT is a faster IEM with more separation between instruments and overall more resolving, the Mentawai is fuller bodied and with more mid bass presence : it slams harder but the EXT slam faster. A bit like Rocky against Bruce Lee lol :p One thing to consider as well : the Mentawai midrange is more forward and enaging, the EXT is more articulate and technical... it has more depth but also less vocal presence. Up top, the Mentawai hold its own very well among the best but to me the EXT is simply king there probably due to the fact the quad EST is so close to the bore exit. But it doesn't exist in custom form which is a big weakness in my book.

I hesitate between the Volt and the Mundaka 🤔 .
Is there someone who could advise me?
The shell of the Mundaka is it smaller than the Volt?
Signature is really different between Mundaka and Volt, really.
Mundaka is a powerful, bold and in your face kind of sound (in a good way) while Volt is a relaxed and refined cognac and cigar brand of sound... absolute opposites...

Jan 9, 2022 at 7:21 AM Post #127 of 314
I'm learning that the Mentawai universal is very tip dependent.

I just want to remphasise this point. I don't know if its personal anatomy but god damn, they can make or break this IEM for me. I think I might be getting some adverse resonant peaks if I use anything that isn't very deep fit.

The tip I've landed on after about a month with the Mentawai is a very thin walled Tanchjim Tanya tip. The 2nd smallest tip pictured below...

H341fde6932e04d4cb797a92e48dfa67fk.jpg

Jan 9, 2022 at 8:16 AM Post #128 of 314
I just want to remphasise this point. I don't know if its personal anatomy but god damn, they can make or break this IEM for me. I think I might be getting some adverse resonant peaks if I use anything that isn't very deep fit.

The tip I've landed on after about a month with the Mentawai is a very thin walled Tanchjim Tanya tip. The 2nd smallest tip pictured below...
Not tempted to go custom?

:wink:

Jan 9, 2022 at 8:52 AM Post #129 of 314
Not tempted to go custom?

:wink:

Tempted. Having said that, the fit I get with those tips is what I imagine a custom to be like - the whole of my concha are occupied by the shell and the nozzle has tight seal and contact with the auditory canal. I guess it will all depend on cost etc!

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2022 at 10:44 AM Post #131 of 314
Hello,

Below is my feedback from the Intras Alambic Ears.

Preamble :

Alambic Ears https://www.alambic-ears.com/ is a brand created by a sound and Surf enthusiast the very famous Aldo

He is the source of several models including the Bali, JawsII, Noosa and Mundaka.

His latest realization the Mentawai available in Uni or Molded (Custom) is equipped

5-way 12 drivers

-A proprietary 10mm metal dome DD

-4 Knowles low midrange

-2 Sonion medium in duet with a Knowles single driver

-4 IS SONION electrostatic

-Ergonomic 3D shell

Crossover: 5 ways

general impedance: 13 ohms

Sensitivity 112dB / mW

Freq. Response 20Hz〜40kHz

Mentawai

I contacted Aldo to order a pair of these Custom model intras with a Shell Clear and a Faceplate Symbolizing the universe, I received them at the start of 2022, so here are my impressions of these Mentawai, I specify that it is not. is that my humble opinion and that I do not have the vocabulary or the perception that others might have, this is only my opinion based on my own impressions and musical tastes:

The packaging says a lot about the care taken by Aldo to provide a quality product.

The selected songs were listened to in parallel on the Fiio M17 as well as the Cayin N6 Mk2 Ti

C2C

On this electro hip hop scratch track, the bass is heavy and fast making this piece particularly pleasant, it is also the first piece that I listened to with the Mentawai and I wondered what would be the continuation. were sending. The dynamics on this track are excellent.

Anne Sophie Mutter

Oh my god, I felt the sub-bass like never before, I had the sound pressure you can get on speakers, the violin notes are right and reproduced in a sublime way.

Secret Weapon

The dry clicks of this track sent me to another planet, it is reproduced so faithfully, it reminded me of the shock I had when listening to Cabasse SKIFF in the 90s

Les percussions de Strasbourg

A first listening during a meet with my faithful Earsonics EM10 revealed to me the perfect recording of this piece, the soundstage and the fidelity of the reproduction of these percussions are of very high level. On the Mentawai we still reach a level above with a speration of high-end instruments, everything is in place, the scene is worthy of listening on speakers.

Daft Punk

On this track that I know it like the back of my hand, and the engagement is more dynamic, more powerful, we can feel the electro in all its splendor, once again everything is harmonious, the hairs are bristling, the music I live it, it's beautiful.

Maria Callas

The voice of the Callas, has a 3d effect, waoww the highs are never brilliant despite the climbs of the DIVA

Oscar Peterson

The tones of the beginning are fair and are well positioned in space, what is most admirable in this piece, it is the piano which is positioned in front of me between my ears, it is strong to have this phenomenon on intras.

O-Zone Percussions

The brutality of the percussions is like on the Strasbourg percussions track, everything is like in 3d and the instruments are right in your face.

Musica Nuda

What a duet, the singer's voice is crazy, the Double bass has a crazy charm, I am immersed with them as a live listener, a great moment of realism

Dominique Fils Aimé

What else to say that this recording is sublime and it is part of my test tracks, The Mentawai bring out the voice of this sublime artist to a level that I had never heard before

Omar Sosa

The bells and their echoes resonate as if you were there and this bass which attacks the piece makes it particularly good by bringing out the notes of the strings brilliantly, this piece usually delights me but here it is magnified

José James
Sur
This soul piece is transcribed here with the whole spectrum, it's very high level

Aranjuez Concerto

The guitar comes out of this piece of anthology with an impression of being in front of the artist and the 3D effect of this set comes out beautifully,

Luther Vandross

Funky music, it slams the DD, once again never an ounce of brilliance in this song, it is really beautiful work in these Mentawai

Johannes Moser

I find that on this piece the cello stands out particularly well, I can feel the archer on the strings, the touch of emotion is there. This piece is immersive.

My Conclusion :

These intras have brought me into another world, the design is worthy of the greatest manufactures, this Aldo is a genius, a craftsman who does professional work.

Coming back to the Mentawai, the SS is excellent, the overall harmony is really excellent, the bass is there when it's needed, for example on Hip Hop it's still quite fantastic and especially without eating the rest of the spectrum, the highs are quite detailed and by no means brilliant, as for the mids they are just wonderful.

You will understand, I am won over, the Mentawai can advantageously replace a headphone because once they are on they are at such a level that you will rediscover your music even more captivating than ever, they are all rounder and are comfortable on all styles of music

They top my headset ranking, although I don't have the most successful headset experience.

Thank you for reading me, I hope this feedback can highlight the fantastic work of this Craftsman whom I consider a genius, with a skill in the sound more than accomplished.

Choub

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #132 of 314
Thank you for reading me, I hope this feedback can highlight the fantastic work of this Craftsman whom I consider a genius, with a skill in the sound more than accomplished.

Choub

Thankyou for leaving your feedback for others to read - a real good selection of songs here!

I'm still enjoying my Mentawai everyday.

davidmolliere and Ian91, I have noticed you both have the Mentawai and Penon Legend.

Can I get comparisons on the two?

Thanks

I haven't had a great deal of opportunity to comapre the two I'm afraid. Just off the top of my head though, the Mentawai is a much more visceral listen with greater noteweight. Imaging and soundstage are comparable. I find instrument timbre to be more convincing on the Mentawai but the Legend is certainly no slouch here either. The Mentawai has more upper mid/lower treble activity than the Legend that makes it a more stimulating & energetic listen overall. I tend to reach for the Mentawai for Jazz where I need extra bite and the Legend for electronic/ambient for a more relaxed listen.

Jan 17, 2022 at 8:08 PM Post #133 of 314
Thankyou for leaving your feedback for others to read - a real good selection of songs here!

I'm still enjoying my Mentawai everyday.

I haven't had a great deal of opportunity to comapre the two I'm afraid. Just off the top of my head though, the Mentawai is a much more visceral listen with greater noteweight. Imaging and soundstage are comparable. I find instrument timbre to be more convincing on the Mentawai but the Legend is certainly no slouch here either. The Mentawai has more upper mid/lower treble activity than the Legend that makes it a more stimulating & energetic listen overall. I tend to reach for the Mentawai for Jazz where I need extra bite and the Legend for electronic/ambient for a more relaxed listen.
Thanks Ian, much appreciated... tough decision, great reviews on both... only solution is to get both!

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2022 at 2:28 PM Post #134 of 314
Just got my Mentawai today 🙂
Not much to add to all that has already been written...
Just some pictures (orange faceplate following my wishes), as they look as good as they sound (in fact, they sound even better 😉)

Attachments

• IMG_2949 R.jpg
    IMG_2949 R.jpg
    976 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2951 R.jpg
    IMG_2951 R.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2967 R.jpg
    IMG_2967 R.jpg
    308.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2969 R.jpg
    IMG_2969 R.jpg
    487.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2965 R.jpg
    IMG_2965 R.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Mar 9, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #135 of 314
Just got my Mentawai today 🙂
Not much to add to all that has already been written...
Just some pictures (orange faceplate following my wishes), as they look as good as they sound (in fact, they sound even better 😉)
Hi,

Where is this model and its price on the manufacturer's website, because I can't see it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back