Alambic Ears - Impressions thread - Mentawai, Mavericks, Mundaka, Noosa
Nov 23, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #106 of 315
The enjoyment continues! The ESTs have smoothened out nicely to retain good extension. The bass remains 'monumental', for the want of a better word. I've never heard such a robust low end that retains such good control and texture. Rolling cables I've stuck to a thick gauge UPOCC cable pictured below. I tried Penon Totem but I found it emphasised some upper mids and makes things slightly less warm but it did reveal more detail, but there's enough there for me without.

_DSC2873.jpg

@davidmolliere I hope yours are nearing your doorstep?

Nov 23, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #107 of 315
There is a slight delay... customs are a bit more work, and everyone should praise Fred for building custom with 4 EST it's a feat of engineering although my ears are big, not many want to do that including VE and Oriolus... When I get it believe me everyone will know :)

Nov 23, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #108 of 315
There is a slight delay... customs are a bit more work, and everyone should praise Fred for building custom with 4 EST it's a feat of engineering although my ears are big, not many want to do that including VE and Oriolus... When I get it believe me everyone will know :)

Hoping you get them very soon :)

The 4ESTs have all the detail I could ever really want from an IEM. Looking in the universal shell there is zero room to spare. I am impressed how Fred fit the 10mm DD in there too.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #109 of 315
Hoping you get them very soon :)

The 4ESTs have all the detailed I could ever really need from an IEM. Looking in the universal shell there is zero room to spare. I am impressed how Fred fit the 10mm DD in there too.
I gather a lot of work has gone into the 3D modeling to help make fit all this to optimize everything... also explains why doability for customs has to be assessed on case by case basis and I am blessed to have big ears but even then it takes work.

Nov 23, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #110 of 315
I gather a lot of work has gone into the 3D modeling to help make fit all this to optimize everything... also explains why doability for customs has to be assessed on case by case basis and I am blessed to have big ears but even then it takes work.

My ears are on the smaller side, so I would doubt I would have been eligible for custom!

Look forward to seeing yours. Have you gone for a transparent custom?

Nov 23, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #111 of 315
The enjoyment continues! The ESTs have smoothened out nicely to retain good extension. The bass remains 'monumental', for the want of a better word. I've never heard such a robust low end that retains such good control and texture. Rolling cables I've stuck to a thick gauge UPOCC cable pictured below. I tried Penon Totem but I found it emphasised some upper mids and makes things slightly less warm but it did reveal more detail, but there's enough there for me without.

_DSC2873.jpg

Did u change cable? Wich model is it?☺️

Nov 25, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #112 of 315
Left the Mentawai on burn-in for a few more days. The whole picture has opened up more than OOTB with a wider soundstage and better imaging. I'm not sure what to put it down to but I'm not going to grumble. For the price, these are a steal.

@Xinlisupreme it's a 6N UPOCC from XINHS - matches up really well, aesthetically and sonically imo.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #113 of 315
Left the Mentawai on burn-in for a few more days. The whole picture has opened up more than OOTB with a wider soundstage and better imaging. I'm not sure what to put it down to but I'm not going to grumble. For the price, these are a steal.

@Xinlisupreme it's a 6N UPOCC from XINHS - matches up really well, aesthetically and sonically imo.
This one?
XinHS OCC

Nov 29, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #115 of 315
@ian91 could you be so kind and compare Mentawai and Penon Legend please

I've got a busy week ahead but I'll do some AB'ing at the weekend and update here!

Dec 7, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #116 of 315
I feel like a kid... my Mentawai are on the way to me :)
Quick pic from @Aldo40

2021-12-07 22.03.52.jpg

I can't wait to plug them to FiiO M17 :heart_eyes:

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #117 of 315
Dec 9, 2021 at 8:00 AM Post #118 of 315
IMG_7042.jpg

And... here are my custom Mentawai :)

IMG_7040.jpg
IMG_7043.jpg
IMG_7045.jpgIMG_7046.jpg

Impressions coming up later, since I am at work...

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2021 at 8:09 AM Post #119 of 315
And... here are my custom Mentawai :)

Impressions coming up later, since I am at work...

Alot of hard work has gone into that I bet. Shell looks really clear too!

I await your impressions :)

Dec 9, 2021 at 8:44 AM Post #120 of 315
Alot of hard work has gone into that I bet. Shell looks really clear too!
I await your impressions :)
Yup, I wanted transparency to admire the internals :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back