It’s ok the website the mentawai model is at 1690€

Mar 10, 2022 at 2:57 AM Post #139 of 314
Strange, this model doesn't exsist.
Did you open the link?
https://www.alambic-ears.com/produits-et-services

Modèle Bali​

350€
3 voies 3 drivers
Premier modèle polyvalent de qualité avec un grave impactant, des médiums légers et des aigus présents et fins, une écoute charnue, tendance chaude sans fatigue.

Modèle Jaws II​

750€
3 Voies 5 drivers.
Un son équilibré et versatile avec de jolies basses un bas médium rapide qui a du corps, de superbes médiums et des aigus précis, non sibilants.
Impédance linéaire.

Modèle Noosa​

990€
4 voies 11 drivers
Le modèle Noosa est un intra plutôt neutre un peu chaud avec des graves impactants et pleins, il y a de la matière, les aigus sont fins mais sans excès, le taux de distorsion est faible.

Modèle Hybrid
Mundaka​

850€
3 voies 4 drivers
1 drivers dynamique/ 1 drivers BA full range/1 double tweeter électrostatique
crossover 3 voies.

Premier hybride de la gamme.
Basses profondes et propres.
Intra équilibré aux médiums bien timbrés et vivants avec une extension naturelle des aigus, des basses nettes et impactantes, une scène cohérente et de la profondeur

Modèle Hybrid
Mentawai​

1690€

5 voies 12 drivers
-Un DD dôme métal propriétaire de 10mm
-4 bas médium Knowles
-2 médium Sonion en duo avec un driver single Knowles
-4 EST électrostatique SONION
-Shell ergonomique 3D
Crossover :5 voies
impédance générale: 13 ohms
Sensibilité 112dB/mW
Fréq. Réponse 20Hz〜40kHz
Dernier né de la marque, le Mentawai est le grand frère du Mundaka.
Le driver Dynamique dôme métal est conservé mais l'amortissement arrière à été modifié.
Ont retrouve donc le grave Mundaka mais plus sec et rapide.
-Les 4 bas médium apportent du corps a l'ensemble .
-Le duo médium/aigue apporte une finesse supérieure et + de richesse dans les détails
-Le quad EST apporte aération, harmoniques et vient améliorer la finesse des aigus principaux

Service Reshell​

100-150€
Vous souhaitez modifier vos intras universels en version CIEM?
Faire un reshell d'un custom acheté en occasion?
Nous vous proposons ce service au tarif de 100€ pour un modèle Alambic et 150€
pour tout autre modèle dans la mesure du possible.

Mar 10, 2022 at 3:30 AM Post #140 of 314
Did you open the link?
https://www.alambic-ears.com/produits-et-services

Modèle Bali​

350€
3 voies 3 drivers
Premier modèle polyvalent de qualité avec un grave impactant, des médiums légers et des aigus présents et fins, une écoute charnue, tendance chaude sans fatigue.

Modèle Jaws II​

750€
3 Voies 5 drivers.
Un son équilibré et versatile avec de jolies basses un bas médium rapide qui a du corps, de superbes médiums et des aigus précis, non sibilants.
Impédance linéaire.

Modèle Noosa​

990€
4 voies 11 drivers
Le modèle Noosa est un intra plutôt neutre un peu chaud avec des graves impactants et pleins, il y a de la matière, les aigus sont fins mais sans excès, le taux de distorsion est faible.

Modèle Hybrid​

Mundaka​

850€
3 voies 4 drivers
1 drivers dynamique/ 1 drivers BA full range/1 double tweeter électrostatique
crossover 3 voies.

Premier hybride de la gamme.
Basses profondes et propres.
Intra équilibré aux médiums bien timbrés et vivants avec une extension naturelle des aigus, des basses nettes et impactantes, une scène cohérente et de la profondeur

Modèle Hybrid​

Mentawai​

1690€

5 voies 12 drivers
-Un DD dôme métal propriétaire de 10mm
-4 bas médium Knowles
-2 médium Sonion en duo avec un driver single Knowles
-4 EST électrostatique SONION
-Shell ergonomique 3D
Crossover :5 voies
impédance générale: 13 ohms
Sensibilité 112dB/mW
Fréq. Réponse 20Hz〜40kHz
Dernier né de la marque, le Mentawai est le grand frère du Mundaka.
Le driver Dynamique dôme métal est conservé mais l'amortissement arrière à été modifié.
Ont retrouve donc le grave Mundaka mais plus sec et rapide.
-Les 4 bas médium apportent du corps a l'ensemble .
-Le duo médium/aigue apporte une finesse supérieure et + de richesse dans les détails
-Le quad EST apporte aération, harmoniques et vient améliorer la finesse des aigus principaux

Service Reshell​

100-150€
Vous souhaitez modifier vos intras universels en version CIEM?
Faire un reshell d'un custom acheté en occasion?
Nous vous proposons ce service au tarif de 100€ pour un modèle Alambic et 150€
pour tout autre modèle dans la mesure du possible.
Yes, but in my site is only hybrid model mundaka

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220310-092920_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220310-092920_Chrome.jpg
    325.6 KB · Views: 0
Mar 10, 2022 at 3:45 AM Post #141 of 314
It seems you should choose "french" as site language to see all the models (this is a bug obviously...)

Mar 10, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #142 of 314
Hmm not sure how i got to notice this... But Montawai looks very very interesting.

Is there anyone who could get graph measured up?

I think i would like bass and mids. But not sure what to make of treble...

Mar 21, 2022 at 3:32 PM Post #145 of 314
Apr 18, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #146 of 314
Edited

Last edited:
May 14, 2022 at 5:59 PM Post #147 of 314
_DSC3407.jpg

Mentawai - A Return to the Island

Where to start? I always loved them...the balanced tuning was executed well and was very musical but between the fit issues I had with the universal shell and some resonance that would raise its head every now and again I began to use them less and less. The Mentawai was my only tribrid and my last kilobuck IEM. I decided I was going to sell and call it quits at this price point in the market.

That's when Fred (Alambic Ears) reached out having seen my post on this thread. He told me the Mentawai had recently undergone some changes in terms of driver implementation and internal electronics and offered to revise my Mentawai. This would also necessitate a reshell too, which sounded just like what I needed. He explained that this was without obligation and he wouldn't want me feeling committed to keeping them after if I didn't want to. I jumped at the chance and sent them packing to France. Fast forward a few weeks and they're back. Looking more beautiful than ever (I chose to stick with the abalone).

How do they sound now?

Completely different. To put it simply, they've come alive.

I was well acquainted with the original but this is on another level entirely. The original took inspiration from the Traillii tuning but lifted the subbass and implemented a DD for the bass. It worked well, plenty well enough for the price, in fact, but it wasn't Traillii-level engaging. Whatever has been done has had a dramatic effect on driver performance. Both ends extend further and this now feels like the most 'complete' experience I've had with an in-ear, akin to, if not surpassing, my experiences demo'ing TOTL headphones. The bass? This is the best bass I've heard. It reaches incredibly deep, occupies great space but doesn't overwhelm the rest of the FR. It rumbles like a woofer and growls with expressive power. The treble reaches out further than before and detailing is as clear as day. An effortless treble, as I remember the Traillii to be, possibly more exacting in the lower treble and slightly less air but ultimately more natural.

Tonality is the same as previous, i.e. a phenomenally balanced W but the expression of it is totally different. It's now fleshed out with greater noteweight, vocal body and an incredibly powerful macrodynamic response. Technically the staging has widened and has greater depth and better imaging. Timbre is on point.

I'm told this isn't anything to do with tuning. The frequency response hasn't changed. I'm told it's more to do with the implementation and internal circuity. Fred showed me a paper from an acoustic engineer and academic that would have given me some clue to what he's done here. It was something to do with a novel filtering technology that Fred has adapted/adopted, but unfortunately I couldn't make heads or tails of the papers content.

I've been relistening to my library this weekend and I'm relishing every second of the experience, completely engaged.

What Fred offers with the Mentawai is standard setting at the price - an incredibly coherent tribrid that's highly musical with great dynamics and thoughtful execution. More importantly, he's just a good guy and enjoys sharing his passion for music (he's always sending me songs to add to my test track library). Not many people go out of their way for others these days but he's one of them.

End-game achieved!

_DSC3399.jpg

Last edited:
May 14, 2022 at 7:22 PM Post #148 of 314
Very glad for you. I completely agree, having the latest demos with me right now.

The new filtering system has unlocked their full potential in a spectacular way.

I'll soon have my own set to enjoy!

May 15, 2022 at 2:42 AM Post #149 of 314
Very glad for you. I completely agree, having the latest demos with me right now.

The new filtering system has unlocked their full potential in a spectacular way.

I'll soon have my own set to enjoy!

Make sure to post a picture or two when yours arrives, I love seeing Fred's work!

I'm not sure if it's unlocked, maybe more like unleashed. I've read that the Mentawai islands have some of the best waves for surfing, being affectionately known by surfers as the 'Playground', well the name's quite appropriate now...the sound is dynamic, powerful and just plain fun.

Last edited:
May 15, 2022 at 5:26 AM Post #150 of 314
Yess, i’ve got with me the first version (parallel filters) of mentawai, my first feeling is about dynamic and sweet trebles.

I feel the music like a live for each album.

Now I compare with fourte noir and some différents cables. It is two different feeling of music, And I love sensation of live music with this mentawai.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back