AKG's new K872?
Jul 1, 2023 at 2:03 AM Post #541 of 642
I owned a K872 Made in Austria for a while.
A tip, to test, remove the foam ring that is around the driver (but don't throw it away!).
You need the small enclosed lever to mount the pads.

Jul 1, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #542 of 642
.......... it as the last model coming out of the Vienna factory.
Not sure...maybe earlier ones?
I thought it was never made in Austria, only in Slovakia. .........
Possibly....maybe the drivers are made in Austria and the headphone is assembled in Slovakia?

Either way...the HD872 is the last TOTL designed by the original AKG team before being let go......who all then formed "Austrian Audio". : )

True studio monitor though...no romanticizing. (meant in a good way!) :)

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2023 at 4:03 PM Post #543 of 642

Possibly....maybe the drivers are made in Austria and the headphone is assembled in Slovakia?

Either way...the HD872 is the last TOTL designed by the original AKG team before being let go......who all then formed "Austrian Audio". : )

According to @Nomax the Austrian Audio team are set to release a giant killer headphone soon. If it's anything like the K812, (in construction and sound), but with the top end dialled a trifle back, it's an automatic buy!

Jul 2, 2023 at 1:01 AM Post #544 of 642
@John Buchanan .... comes soon, probably autumn - or before christmas :relaxed: :sunglasses:

Jul 2, 2023 at 4:23 AM Post #545 of 642

My K872 is a late pre-series one, which I think was actually built in Vienna — but I don’t know for sure. But yes, it was the last high end model from the AKG team in Vienna…

Either way, that’s long gone past. And not all is lost, Austrian Audio to the rescue :)

Jul 2, 2023 at 5:23 AM Post #546 of 642
According to @Nomax the Austrian Audio team are set to release a giant killer headphone soon. If it's anything like the K812, (in construction and sound), but with the top end dialled a trifle back, it's an automatic buy!

The C............ will play in a completely different league than a K812 👍
(Anything else would not be worth the speech and my Golden Ears 😉)

NOMAX

PS.lol

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #547 of 642
I thought it was never made in Austria, only in Slovakia. The AKG K812 was. Somewhere until the serial number of 11000. It was written on the headphones in the first couple of thousands, but later on there was just a sticker inside the headband.
Yes, the K812 definitely went from Vienna to Slovakia. I don’t think there were any problems with quality, for me it’s only about the fact that I live in Vienna :wink:

Jul 2, 2023 at 11:24 AM Post #548 of 642
Guess it all comes down if their efforts are targeted toward the consumer or pro market.
Never had a problem with the top end, hearing is excellent up to 10-11K and then stone deaf after that though. :beyersmile:

Jul 2, 2023 at 1:03 PM Post #550 of 642
@John Buchanan .... comes soon, probably autumn - or before christmas :relaxed: :sunglasses:
I hope they won't utilize again the same AKG-K550-style-like headband they use in their other headphones. I find the headband of the AKG K812 and K872 much more comfortable. I would say that for me the AKG K812 (and the K872 to a lesser extent, since they are closed and so quite hot) are the most comfortable headphones.

Jul 2, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #551 of 642
I am sure many will be surprised at the adjustment mechanism of the shells 😉
(I would love to reveal more, but it would be too early....after my vacation at the lake 😎)

NOMAX

PS.lol

Jul 2, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #552 of 642
I am sure many will be surprised at the adjustment mechanism of the shells 😉
(I would love to reveal more, but it would be too early....after my vacation at the lake 😎)

NOMAX

PS.lol
Keep us posted, Nomax

Jul 2, 2023 at 4:46 PM Post #553 of 642
But who knows maybe they will surprise us not only with a headphone but also with a........😉

Nomax

PS. S........ O...... 😎
( So now but enough now )

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2023 at 12:40 AM Post #554 of 642
Guess it all comes down if their efforts are targeted toward the consumer or pro market.
Never had a problem with the top end, hearing is excellent up to 10-11K and then stone deaf after that though. :beyersmile:

The K812 was also dedicated to the pro market, but in the end it was thousands of consumers who took it home and only a small number actually found their way to the pro market.

There is a reason why a Pentaconn is also included this time 😎
(Because the mobile solution has become indispensable and is still on the rise)

NOMAX

PS.let's see if history will repeat itself with the C.......... 😉

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2023 at 1:03 AM Post #555 of 642
I am already looking forward to the cursing of the after market cable manufacturers 😂😂 when the C............. appears on the market
(Yes there will be a new connector again )

NOMAX

PS.lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back