AKG's new K872?
Sep 6, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #139 of 642
Initially I found the K872 to sound somewhat strange, a slight dark and grey characteristic, with a bit of a brittle/honky lower treble.....but with a very even response. Kind of disappointing, considering I was using the microZOTL2. I ran them in for a number of hours but little change occurred. Then I changed interconnects......and the sun poked through and the clouds faded away. The K872 will tell you a lot about what you are using as a source! It opened up familiar recordings and provided a sense of details that I probably had heard but was not aware of, in a musical manner. I love when I hear new things without being subjected to brightness in order to get them.

A nice wide spacy soundstage, seemingly flat response, very open and detailed midrange and clean (but not bright) treble. I need more time to get a bead on how it portrays the bottom end. It's seems to be all there but I want to nail down how the detail and dynamics really are. Seems to line up well with the K812 but with smoother highs.

The K812 has open drivers, whereas the K872 has that 'lattice' cloth insert (similar to the HD800) and what feels like foam rings over the drivers and damping around the insides. I don't dare take it apart to find out.

Sep 6, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #140 of 642
Initially I found the K872 to sound somewhat strange, a slight dark and grey characteristic, with a bit of a brittle/honky lower treble.....but with a very even response. Kind of disappointing, considering I was using the microZOTL2. I ran them in for a number of hours but little change occurred. Then I changed interconnects......and the sun poked through and the clouds faded away. The K872 will tell you a lot about what you are using as a source! It opened up familiar recordings and provided a sense of details that I probably had heard but was not aware of, in a musical manner. I love when I hear new things without being subjected to brightness in order to get them.

A nice wide spacy soundstage, seemingly flat response, very open and detailed midrange and clean (but not bright) treble. I need more time to get a bead on how it portrays the bottom end. It's seems to be all there but I want to nail down how the detail and dynamics really are. Seems to line up well with the K812 but with smoother highs.

The K812 has open drivers, whereas the K872 has that 'lattice' cloth insert (similar to the HD800) and what feels like foam rings over the drivers and damping around the insides. I don't dare take it apart to find out.

Interesting...

As these are closed, are they sensitive enough to use with a phone or modest DAP? Does a non-europe capped iPhone have enough output? HTC 10? The numbers on the website suggest they might.

Sep 6, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #141 of 642

How would you compare the sound to the HD800? Especially soundstage wise and airiness of the treble... Really glad somebody here finally got one. Thanks!

Sep 6, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #142 of 642

Hmm...interesting.  I'm not personally a big user of interconnects/ cables... so a little worried here.  But if I may ask, which ICs did you use?

Sep 6, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #150 of 642
es u ownED and u know that your brain can not longer then a few minutes remember sound signature so its pointless to argue . Sry bad english

Actually it's not pointless to argue. Actually you can remember a sound signature. The HD 650 sounds how I remember and expect it to every time I listen it. Same with basically every other headphone I've tried. Our brains are not that forgetful even with sound. What your saying is akin to people not remembering what someone's voice your familiar with sounds like after a few minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back