AKG's New Flagship IEM - N5005
Mar 31, 2024 at 1:00 PM Post #1,516 of 1,541
Apr 3, 2024 at 8:05 PM Post #1,517 of 1,541
Just bought these for $159. My #1 IEM spot was the Kiwi Ears Quintet and after listening to these, they are still my #1 IEM but these are good. At $159 I was hoping to score a cheap upgrade to the Quintet, and although there are some aspects that may feel like an upgrade, these are more of a side grade overall.

The unboxing experience was definitely an upgrade, but the cables are a joke. I would have been very upset with those cables at full price. The Bluetooth cable works, and it sound OK, but I feel that it is underpowered for these IEMs. They aren't very loud and I felt they lacked dynamics on Bluetooth. The filters make a slight difference in the sound and I felt the reference and bass filters sound the best. The stock tips were OK, but I got the best seal with Dunu S&S tips. The case is nice.

It terms of sound, I I like it but I don't love it. They don't sound bad at all, but I think the Quintet sounds better overall. The bass is way better on the Quintet, it has better body and is more slam, the bass on the N5005 sound clean and polite in comparison. I did a bit of tip rolling before I got a good seal, the bass is just OK to me, definitely present though. The mids are good, they are slightly warm and clean. I think they both trade blows in the mids, I don't think there is a winner here. The highs is the one area were I may pick the N5005, but they overall trade blows. The N5005 high sound smoother to me and I kinda like it more. The Quintet highs sound more detailed but also less smooth and slightly harsh at times.

I really need to play with these more, but first impressions don't feel like an upgrade at all. They feel like a good deal at $159, but today $1000 would have been an absolute stretch. I think I will like these IEM's overall, but I will need to find a good use case for these, I think they are too good to sit...but they may find a good spot in the case and look pretty. Overall I like them, but I don't love them and they have not WOW'd me enough to be my #1.

Apr 8, 2024 at 8:04 AM Post #1,518 of 1,541
I got my set from the big sale, and I'm liking these a lot. Normally I like a lot of bass, but the bass boost was a little too...muddy? The mid high sounds great, though, and I can use the eq to compensate if I need more bass.

Having a little trouble getting a good fit with the included tips, so I'll have to experiment. I have the stock medium in my left ear that works pretty good, but the stock large in my right ear just isn't large enough or isn't deep enough to get a good seal. Still get great sound if I get it juuuust right.

Apr 8, 2024 at 9:51 AM Post #1,519 of 1,541
i'm another happy customer got my n5005 from the big, big sale! i've just listening to it with the bundled bluetooth, with the default reference sound filter. there's actually quite a lot of midbass to my surprise. excellent details and very pleasing for pop music. i thought i read somewhere that this is one of the iems that tuned the closest to the harman curve. it suits my preference in most way just like the ML5909! this is a good choice for the original price, and a gem not to be missed for the current big sale!!!

Attachments

• original_6e66eb3d-616a-47d6-961e-1b232aa78901_20240408_201603.jpg
    original_6e66eb3d-616a-47d6-961e-1b232aa78901_20240408_201603.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 8, 2024 at 9:54 AM Post #1,520 of 1,541
I got my set from the big sale, and I'm liking these a lot. Normally I like a lot of bass, but the bass boost was a little too...muddy? The mid high sounds great, though, and I can use the eq to compensate if I need more bass.

Having a little trouble getting a good fit with the included tips, so I'll have to experiment. I have the stock medium in my left ear that works pretty good, but the stock large in my right ear just isn't large enough or isn't deep enough to get a good seal. Still get great sound if I get it juuuust right.

I had zero luck with the included eartips and ended up using my starfield tips until the comply foam tips arrived. Pairing them with the mid-high filter suits my tastes.

Apr 8, 2024 at 7:50 PM Post #1,521 of 1,541
Ordered a set once the price dropped to $159 and have not been disappointed with my purchase.
Tried all the stock tips and Spinfit versions and ended up going with the original medium set that it came with.
I received my order of the Comply T500 medium tips today and they have an excellent fit.
Comparing the Comply and the stock silicone tips, they definitely have a better seal, but gives a less "spatial" sound and the bass is now cleaner and tighter.
I'm pairing these with the mid-high filters and my LG V30 in "High Impedance" mode and via Hi-Fi Quad DAC...Tidal via UAPP (Bit perfect mode).
Works great with this set up.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2024 at 9:14 PM Post #1,522 of 1,541
I just picked up 2 N5005's during the sale and had fitment issues as well. I resolved that by using the (M) Azla Sedna Ear Fit Light and its created a perfect seal for me. I tried everything from shaking my head and snacking and they did not budge at all. If you're going to give the Azla tips a try make sure to buy the Azla Sedna Ear Fit Light and not the Azla Sedna Ear Fit Light Short. The stem on the short version is a bit more recessed. I was listening to Why so Serious? by Hans Zimmer and the amount of sub bass that the N5005 produced was kind of ridiculous and I was using the reference filters.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2024 at 9:27 PM Post #1,524 of 1,541
I just picked up 2 N5005's during the sale and had fitment issues as well. I resolved that by using the (M) Azla Sedna Ear Fit Light and its created a perfect seal for me. I tried everything from shaking my head and snacking and they did not budge at all. If you're going to give the Azla tips a try make sure to buy the Azla Sedna Ear Fit Light and not the Azla Sedna Ear Fit Light Short. The stem on the short version is a bit more recessed. I was listening to Why so Serious? by Hans Zimmer and the amount of sub bass that the N5005 produced was kind of ridiculous and I was using the reference filters.
Can you please share the link?

Apr 8, 2024 at 9:35 PM Post #1,525 of 1,541
Apr 8, 2024 at 9:39 PM Post #1,526 of 1,541
I had good luck with the included spinfits. Now, it's not creating a proper seal, its too supple.
I will have to try the sedna Max, that I didn't like with IE 900.

Apr 8, 2024 at 9:41 PM Post #1,527 of 1,541
Can you please share the link?
Sure here you go. I checked AZLA's direct site and it looks like they might have axed the standard Ear Fit Light but you can still buy them from other sites. If it works for you might be a good idea to buy a couple more sets just incase. *Update* so it looks like they replaced the SednaEarFitLight with their new SednaEarFit Origin which is the same dimensions but is made of a different silicon.

https://hifigo.com/products/azla-sednaearfit-series-silicon-eartips?variant=41207512826030

When you go to the drop down make sure to select the SednaEarFitLight in whatever size best fits you.
111.png

I've also attached what they should look like
IMG_7886.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2024 at 9:45 PM Post #1,528 of 1,541
I had good luck with the included spinfits. Now, it's not creating a proper seal, its too supple.
I will have to try the sedna Max, that I didn't like with IE 900.
I've tried spin fit and found the slightly thicker and stiffer silicon that Azla uses on their ear tips were the best when is came to creating that seal on all of IEM's i've ever owned. I'm currently rocking the SednaEarFitLight Shorts on my IE200 and IE600. I like the big bore design.

Apr 8, 2024 at 11:47 PM Post #1,529 of 1,541
Decided to go back to the stock medium tips...
Comply makes the sound too "compressed" and lacks the soundstage that the stock tips give.
I've tried several tips from my collection (Spinfits, Sony, MEE Audio, misc...etc.) and will take a break searching for the "perfect" ear tip for now and just enjoy the AKG N5005!

Apr 12, 2024 at 8:57 AM Post #1,530 of 1,541
I've tried spin fit and found the slightly thicker and stiffer silicon that Azla uses on their ear tips were the best when is came to creating that seal on all of IEM's i've ever owned. I'm currently rocking the SednaEarFitLight Shorts on my IE200 and IE600. I like the big bore design.
Fit is perfect with Max Standard. But, the stem is a bit short, since it's designed for TWS iems.
I will order a few Light and Origin and play with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back