AKG's New Flagship IEM - N5005
Jul 29, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #962 of 1,545
You are welcome. Hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

BTW, they are back at USD $980 on Amazon.

Very grateful. I have the AKG N40, and loved them so much I bought a back up pair. (They dropped to £150 in the UK (on Richer Sounds and Amazon, so it made complete sense.) I knew how it would be if I lost my N40 or broke them, or they died. I would be I a mess looking for a replacement if the N40 was no longer available.

The N40 fit perfectly, and they are very comfortable. They are the only IEMs that I ever owned, but I hear fit and comfort are the main sticking points.

Then someone who I recommended the N40 to bought them and loved them, then bought the N5005. They said I must buy some N5005; it was someone on this thread. ......… Plus the N5005 review so well. Bit of a long story short but when I saw the N5005 for that price, I had to buy some.

I bought a Chord Hugo TT2 a while ago, but have not as yet bought some great headphones. (I use amp and speakers, as well as headphones.) My N5005 will serve as my TT2 headphones for now. Can not wait to hear them, as the N40 sound brilliant on the TT2.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #963 of 1,545
Very grateful. I have the AKG N40, and loved them so much I bought a back up pair. (They dropped to £150 in the UK (on Richer Sounds and Amazon, so it made complete sense.) I knew how it would be if I lost my N40 or broke them, or they died. I would be I a mess looking for a replacement if the N40 was no longer available.

The N40 fit perfectly, and they are very comfortable. They are the only IEMs that I ever owned, but I hear fit and comfort are the main sticking points.

Then someone who I recommended the N40 to bought them and loved them, then bought the N5005. They said I must buy some N5005; it was someone on this thread. ......… Plus the N5005 review so well. Bit of a long story short but when I saw the N5005 for that price, I had to buy some.

I bought a Chord Hugo TT2 a while ago, but have not as yet bought some great headphones. (I use amp and speakers, as well as headphones.) My N5005 will serve as my TT2 headphones for now. Can not wait to hear them, as the N40 sound brilliant on the TT2.

You'll love the N5005. :)

Nice that you scored the N40 for such a great deal, too!

For me, the N5005 are fantastic. It just took a lot of experimentation with ear tips to find a set that provided a balanced tonality with good comfort and a good, consistent seal (for bass response). Surprisingly none of the included ear tips worked well for my ears. But once you find the right ear tips (combined with the interchangeable filters), you are in for a treat.

In regards to great over-the-ear headphones, I highly suggest that you look into the ORA Sound GrapheneQ headphones that will be released in September. If you act fast you might be able to still get a great discount on them via their Kickstarter campaign.

Normally I tend to shy away from the Kickstarter or any crowd-funded products. However, this one is legit and the Graphene driver technology is the real deal, with properties that are superior to Beryllium drivers. And I personally know and highly respect the opinions of a few of the audio engineers that have been part of the consulting and beta-test/feedback team for the development on the GrapheneQ headphones.

For the price paid, I expect these headphones will best many, many headphones that are 3x their price. And due to my own research on the Graphene technology, I actually expect these to give even the Focal Utopias a run for the money. :wink:

While being marketed as "audiophile" headphones and can be used with interchangeable 3.5mm TRS miniplug cables, they will also have many convenience features, such as Apt-X HD wireless Bluetooth, with a built-in mic for hands-free phone calls, and touch gesture control of music playback & volume etc via the touch panels on the side of the ear cups.

https://www.ora-sound.com/grapheneq

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/413314819/ora-the-worlds-first-graphene-headphones

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #964 of 1,545
Jul 29, 2019 at 3:01 PM Post #965 of 1,545
For me, the N5005 are fantastic. It just took a lot of experimentation with ear tips to find a set that provided a balanced tonality with good comfort and a good, consistent seal (for bass response). Surprisingly none of the included ear tips worked well for my ears. But once you find the right ear tips (combined with the interchangeable filters), you are in for a treat.

I had good luck with Dekoni Mercury Bulletz that someone recommended on this forum. One nice thing about them is that, unlike regular memory foam, I don't need to squeeze them, I just insert them in the ear canal like if they were some silicon tips (but they are memory foam). And they last a lot with regular cleaning, much more than Comply 500 tips.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2019 at 3:35 PM Post #966 of 1,545
I had good luck with Dekoni Mercury Bulletz that someone recommended on this forum. One nice thing about them is that, unlike regular memory foam, I don't need to squeeze them, I just insert them in the ear canal like if they were some silicon tips (but they are memory foam). And they last a lot with regular cleaning, much more than Comply 500 tips.
That was me lol. They are my favorite foam tips aswell

Jul 29, 2019 at 7:53 PM Post #967 of 1,545
Do you remember your listening volume level on Amp9? Do you need to push it to 130-140/150 high gain?

it was 130 - 135 high gain.
AMP9 isn't powerful than AMP1 MKII, but is enough to drive N5005.

Jul 29, 2019 at 8:19 PM Post #968 of 1,545
That was me lol. They are my favorite foam tips aswell
That's true! The Dekoni tips truly take my N5005 to the next level. They make them smoother in the upper range and overall cleaner at the same time. They also tighten up the bass even more than stock. Thank you for the recommendation!

Jul 30, 2019 at 1:00 AM Post #969 of 1,545
You'll love the N5005. :)

Nice that you scored the N40 for such a great deal, too!

I found that N40 fit me perfectly on the large tip; (I think third largest of the four tips.) I expect the N5005 will do the same as they are the same tips. I really landed on my feet with the N40. I was very sceptical initially and took ages to buy them. I had been put off by some really cheap in ears that had cable noise like nothing I experienced before. I was then very wary of IEMs. However in the end I found the What HiFi review of the N40 said cable noise was not so bad. Plus other folk used IEMs so I risked it. ……… No looking back, as they say.

Aug 5, 2019 at 7:55 AM Post #970 of 1,545
Mine just arrived (from USA to UK). It's all new and sealed, cellophane wrapped. Am so happy; have been squealing with excitement.

I was worried that when it came through customs, the AKG box would have been opened, and repacked. All new though. Even the Amazon seal was still in tact, so even the Amazon packaging has not been opened. All pristine.

Just gotta open them now. :ksc75smile:

Aug 5, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #971 of 1,545
How many hours burn-in do folk think there is on N5005?

Am at about two hours, and only just hearing the difference between N5005 and N40. More nuances on sounds. (Or at least I think so. I'd have to go back to N40 for a while to be sure.) Initially I was literally not hearing more than the N40. Was having thought like, the extra cost went into balanced cable, wireless solution, and more tips. Rather than into single ended sound.

However the N5005 are sounding a bit more atmospheric, and like some extra bits of sounds there. (Those extra bits of sounds usually become whole in the end, and a good upgrade.) A bit closer to the recording. Not night and day from the N40 yet though. … Having said that, I have heard this kind of transition before, and it ended in a stark difference in sound quality. Meaning not much difference at first, and then later, oh wow!

Like sometimes, it sounds like there are two acoustic guitars, whereas I heard one with N40. It will be a more detailed presentation, and I just am not yet hearing the guitar presentation as one sound. It will be that I hear the was the N40 payed the guitar, then hear the other noise as separate. Just need to start hearing it all as one guitar. Or brain-burn-in. (Had the same thing when I upgraded from Mojo to Hugo 2.)

EDIT: Getting to really like these N5005 now. It should be more uphill from here. They sound excellent.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2019 at 11:29 PM Post #973 of 1,545
My N5005 serial number is over 10,500. Relatively speaking, is it a low number or a high number? Because I can't help the feeling that this earphones are severely underrated.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2019 at 9:30 PM Post #974 of 1,545
I found the N5005 review that says they needed the Bass Boost filters. https://www.hifinews.com/content/akg-n5005-headphones-page-2

Third paragraph on this page explains their impressions after a few days running in on pink noise. (I guess maybe, they should have used white noise.)

I don't find the N5005 excitable in the treble, (using Chord Hugo TT2, or Hugo 2.) I find them smooth, open, and detailed. Also with a larger sound-stage than I expected or even knew was possible with IEM. (I have only ever heard the N40 IEM to compare though.)

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2019 at 11:56 PM Post #975 of 1,545
I fund the N5005 review that says they needed the Bass Boost filters. https://www.hifinews.com/content/akg-n5005-headphones-page-2

Third paragraph on this page, and after a few days of pink noise. (I guess maybe, they should have used white noise.)

I don't find the N5005 excitable in the treble, (using Chord Hugo TT2, or Hugo 2.) I find them smooth, open, and detailed. Also with a larger sound-stage than I expected or even knew was possible with IEM. (I have only ever heard the N40 IEM to compare though.)
I also read that review a few months ago and I found it a bit strange, but I guess that's what the 4 filters are for, to match the sound to individual preferences. In my case, my favorite filter is mid high boost, because it enhances female vocals and relatively lowers the bass (I'm a bit bass sensitive, too much bass can cause me a headache). I also believe cables can make a difference (not a huge one, but a noticeable one with highly resolving iems like N5005), but that's another topic.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back