AKG's New Flagship IEM - N5005
Feb 22, 2018 at 1:53 AM Post #62 of 1,541
OMG. I totally agree with everyone. AT the oBravo pricepoint, it sounds like a scam. Those casings better be made with pure platinum, have 40 drivers in them, and a free massage with happy ending.

On the other hand, this N5005 seems like almost TOO good of a deal. Considering all of the accessories, I almost instinctively think; it couldn't sound as good as the new Legend X or the W900. But, maybe that's just where prices should be for Universals...? How many crossovers does it have?
I about pulled the trigger today and actually tried to buy them, but Apple Pay screwed up. I really ought to wait until we se at least one review.

I'm imagining a slightly fuller sound with a pinch less bass than the 3003.
The new IE800s is at 1k and I find it to compete with the 1.5-2k BAs that I own.

AKG and Sennheiser have a real product range strategy, they can't just double the price of their TOTL for now good reason.

Feb 22, 2018 at 9:33 AM Post #64 of 1,541
The only reason why N5005 has gotten my attention is because it is based on 5 years worth of audio acoustic research of Sean Olive.

I agree. I forgot who it was that posted the video in this thread, but it was awesome to hear about all the work and research and measuring that goes into these things!

I'm sure I'll get these!

Feb 22, 2018 at 9:59 AM Post #65 of 1,541
I will say this, not that my opinion will sway AKG in any way, the decor of these leaves something to be desired. I wish they could come up with a couple color choices, or just put a little color into them. If they looked like the Kinera H3's, for example, I would feel an even stronger impulse to reach for my wallet than I already do!

Feb 22, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #66 of 1,541
.... I wish they could come up with a couple color choices, or just put a little color into them. ...

Something tells me they will when the initial inventory sales start to wane. N5005c or something like that? :wink:

Feb 22, 2018 at 10:09 AM Post #67 of 1,541
I agree. I forgot who it was that posted the video in this thread, but it was awesome to hear about all the work and research and measuring that goes into these things!

I'm sure I'll get these!

Sean has indeed conducted a tremendous amount of interesting research on listener preferences over the last 5 years. Via these two links you can see all the work that culminates in the N5005.

Feb 22, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #69 of 1,541
I found an initial review here: https://audio46.com/akg-n5005-review/ . Disappointing to hear about the bright high-end, and only clean bass...

Thanks for sharing! Sounds like it has some sparkle. That will help it sound clean and clear; to me its a good thing. So far I'm seeing nothing but green lights for me.

Feb 26, 2018 at 12:48 AM Post #71 of 1,541
Hmm can’t preorder yet, looking for something to sit next to my IE800S that has more agression and bite.

Great idea. If its anything like the K3003's, then that's exactly what they'll do! I can't decide if I want to get the CA Vega's or the N5005's still. Vegas are, in everything I've seen, in everyone's top 5 all-time "audiophile basshead" iem's. This is of particular interest to me since my electronic instrumental music is almost always rhythm-driven. But, I think that the N5005's will be up there, too. The new Legend X ciem/iem's will most certainly be top five as well, but I really don't think they'll be 150% better than the N5005's like their price suggests! The K3003's were #1 for a long time, and absolutely set SEVERAL trends in personal audio ablaze. Would hybrids have ever been such a trend if AKG hadn't nailed it like they did?!

I really hope these go into the (audiophile IEM) history books like the K3003's forever did. At the very least, we may start to see a trend in providing bluetooth as part of a package.

Feb 26, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #72 of 1,541
Looks like it's on pre-order on the US shop, not yet in Europe

ohiJQAigtx5pVGHayyi10Xc0MVAHrj.png

Feb 26, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #73 of 1,541
Looks like it's on pre-order on the US shop, not yet in Europe

And no option from the US site to ship outside of the continental US unfortunately. :frowning2:
Need to secure a pre-order for Canada hopefully soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back