AKG701 vs HD600 _for the price_
Mar 29, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #16 of 37
two different beasts... ... very very good ones, but it would be great if you could listen to them!

They are both great HP. I prefer K701 for classical, but it doesnt mean HD600 dont do classical well!... ... at this level they are great HP

However quite distinct sound signatures! I prefer the senns for some kind of music because of their warmer laid back sound.

For instanve, my brother cant live without the Senns, and dont support the K701's highs... ... ...

Mar 29, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #17 of 37
I have both of them and like them both very much. But I prefer the HD-600 to the K-701. The HD-600 does very, very little wrong. It's tonally accurate across the board and excels with every genre I've thrown at it. While not the easiest can to drive, it does well with a variety of amps. The K-701 is fussy about amps and picky with genres. Now, a lot of people love it and are crazy about it, but I've never had the same enthusiasm. The K-701 sounded plasticky and flat until I plugged it into the Zana. I was about to sell it at that point, but it sounds good now and I enjoy it. Still, I think the HD-600 is better overall.

Mar 29, 2008 at 7:27 AM Post #18 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by anoobis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd all but pulled the trigger on HD600 when they went out of stock and I came across the AKG 701.

They seem to be getting a lot of praise and from what I can gather, they should be similar but the AKG may well be better. However, as per usual, they seem expensive in the UK.

I should be able to get the HD600 for ~£150. Cheapest I've seen the AKG701 is £200.

Given I've seen figures of ~_$_200 quoted for the AKG, it's not looking good. Can they really outperform to that extent and are they really worth double the US price? Surely not?

Any thoughts or advice on these (other than go and try them, because I don't know anywhere locally that stocks AKG)?

K 701 is 700 AUD in AU.

Mar 29, 2008 at 7:50 AM Post #19 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by anoobis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd all but pulled the trigger on HD600 when they went out of stock and I came across the AKG 701.

They seem to be getting a lot of praise and from what I can gather, they should be similar but the AKG may well be better. However, as per usual, they seem expensive in the UK.

I should be able to get the HD600 for ~£150. Cheapest I've seen the AKG701 is £200.

Given I've seen figures of ~_$_200 quoted for the AKG, it's not looking good. Can they really outperform to that extent and are they really worth double the US price? Surely not?

Any thoughts or advice on these (other than go and try them, because I don't know anywhere locally that stocks AKG)?

you might be shocked to know that most of the prices for products in europe is the same is in the US. take a Nokia N95 for example. in the US is sells for about $699.99 and in Europe it sells for about 700.00 euros. i was shocked to find this. that's why more people are buying things from America and just shipping them over. Since the dollar is dropping like a lead balloon it makes it cheaper to just buy in USD.
don't let the US price mislead you because you won't find that price outside the US. besides its like $1.60 to 1 euro now anywayz. so just buy it cheap online n ship it over.
btw never listened to the K701s i was debating between these two cans and i just felt that dude to my listening tastes i went with the HD600s. besides i got them refurbed like new for $200.00. only reason it was refurbed cuz the original box was damaged and they just replaced the box. never used still fresh out the box when i got them. i'm very happy with them and they are my fav phones.

Mar 29, 2008 at 8:05 AM Post #20 of 37
Got my akg k701 about 1 week ago and they comfortably burned in IMO. Unquestionably though the k701 in the first 100-200 hours will sound edgy (and "plastic" I guess) but a week later of fairly constant use has resulted in a very comfortable warm and precise sound stage. The bass does indeed go very low and does it accurately, though it is less prominent than in other cans. Comfort wise, the k701s are light and easily worn for 12 hours daily even with glasses on (no joke). I am not sure about the construction of the hd600, though I do know the senn 280pros headband breaks wayyy easier than the akg k701 or akg 240s. Construction and comfort matters to me almost as much as sound quality because I am a poor one can man.
smily_headphones1.gif

Amp is required for these cans.

Mar 29, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #22 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by zipdisk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How similar sounding is the akg K501 compared to the k701?

Mids and high frequencies, to me, seem to be a bit more balanced and harmonic overall with the 501. However, in the highest of heighs there is a bit less brilliance and sparkle compared to the 701. What keeps me from listening to the 501 more often is, however, their - relative and absolute - lack of impact and depth in the lowest register. Even with the better isolating pads of the K601 the low bass is just not there enough. Depending on the genre, this can be of minor relevance or it can destroy any musical experience and/or fun.

Mar 29, 2008 at 4:16 PM Post #23 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Double Edge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amp is required for these cans.

that's for sure...

Mar 29, 2008 at 4:38 PM Post #24 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by jh4db536 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the 701 is Very laidback (last row seat), while the 600 is front row in comparison. the 600 has about 2.5x heavier bass slam, but the 701 can go deeper and accurately. The 701s mids are very clean.

I beg to differ with your "Very laidback" assessment of the K701 v. HD600. Having owned both simultaneously, I'd say the K701 are more forward than the HD600. While the K701 are certainly not as forward as, say, the SR-325i or Proline 750, they are--IMHE--arguably more forward than the HD600/650.

Mar 29, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #25 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by zipdisk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How similar sounding is the akg K501 compared to the k701?

The K501's midrange is clearly superior to that of the K701, IMHO. The K501 have a seamless and amazingly well integrated midrange, while the K701 sound more forward and just a touch fragmented in the midrange by comparison. For acoustic venues and especially vocals, the K501 have the indisputable edge, IMHE.

In addition, the K501 throw a bigger soundstage, too. : )

Mar 29, 2008 at 8:16 PM Post #27 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by pearljam5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i've had my k-701's for about two weeks now and i love them,all i have is my Cowon D2,so i never listened to them amped,what am i missing?

40%
wink.gif

Honestly, it makes an impressive difference. When I went (with a K701 and a HD600) from unamped to a Corda Move this was a smaller step than from the Corda Move to a DV 332. Speed, punch, impact, definition, extension (mainly in the low, but also in the high end) are the things to gain from a decent amp. The DV was worth every cent!

Mar 30, 2008 at 12:40 AM Post #28 of 37
Cool,can't wait to get an amp
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by chi2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
40%
wink.gif

Honestly, it makes an impressive difference. When I went (with a K701 and a HD600) from unamped to a Corda Move this was a smaller step than from the Corda Move to a DV 332. Speed, punch, impact, definition, extension (mainly in the low, but also in the high end) are the things to gain from a decent amp. The DV was worth every cent!

Mar 30, 2008 at 3:00 AM Post #29 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by pearljam5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool,can't wait to get an amp
wink.gif

Impressive is how you could have them and listening to them without amp!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 30, 2008 at 5:13 AM Post #30 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by chi2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...Even with the better isolating pads of the K601 the low bass is just not there enough...

I've have noticed the lack of bass. Do using k601 ear pads help with this problem? I also dislike the feel of the plastic net material used to cover the K501 ear pads; do the k601 pads use another covering material? I assume they are interchangable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back