AKG501 did I make the right choice?
Mar 22, 2007 at 5:36 PM Post #16 of 28
i think the 501's need some burn in time... give em 100 hrs

Mar 22, 2007 at 5:46 PM Post #17 of 28
hundreds of hours not necessary- just put in some fitty cent rap or techno album on loop and turn the volume up until it clips, then just decrease until it's out of clipping volume. That is the optimal max, and at this level if you hold the 501's in your hand they should be vibrating fairly violently. Leave it overnight and that should be enough burning in practically speaking.

Yea there might be subtle this and that over 500 hours and if that is your thing then go for it, but based on common sense if you follow the above technique I really fail to see how anything would be left "unburned" in the morning. Don't worry- its safe and the cans can handle it...

Mar 22, 2007 at 7:02 PM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by hYdrociTy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hundreds of hours not necessary- just put in some fitty cent rap or techno album on loop and turn the volume up until it clips, then just decrease until it's out of clipping volume. That is the optimal max, and at this level if you hold the 501's in your hand they should be vibrating fairly violently. Leave it overnight and that should be enough burning in practically speaking.

Extreme burn in. You've been hanging out with Patrick too much.
biggrin.gif

But really 50 to 100 hours should do. After that, I don't expect any big changes to occur.

Mar 22, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have a shot of whiskey before slappin those phones on! You'll like 'em no matter what!

This is true.

Mar 22, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #21 of 28
I am in love with my K501. I don't think I even want to move to K601/701, though I've heard very good things. Just haven't had the urge to move up.

There is so much detail in the K501. Definitely airy and the mids/highs of female vocals are absolutely heavenly. Soundstage is amazing, and at the price I bought them for (~$120) I can't imagine getting a better deal!

The only caveat is that they require a very powerful amp. My Darkvoice drives them quite nicely, a sweet and smooth tube amp would do well I believe.

//edit: Warning: They are VERY revealing... so you may be unhappy with poor recordings. Wahaha.

Mar 22, 2007 at 8:43 PM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by KevC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am in love with my K501. I don't think I even want to move to K601/701, though I've heard very good things. Just haven't had the urge to move up.

I consider the K701 a step down from the K501, so even more reason to stay where you're at.

Mar 22, 2007 at 8:50 PM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I consider the K701 a step down from the K501, so even more reason to stay where you're at.

you are so right oh mighty master. *grovels*

Mar 23, 2007 at 4:17 AM Post #27 of 28
You should be happy with the K-501. The answer to the bass question depends on what you're listening to.

If you're listening to rock, where the bass is recorded hot off an overdriven amp with the speaker distorting, it doesn't do that well. Then, if the engineers EQ up the bass in the studio (for more impact) the K-501 does that terribly. A lot of people think that's what real bass sounds like.

However, if you have a clean recording without excessive compression of something like an upright bass, the K-501 nails it. It'll nail just about any acoustic recording without overcompensated electric/electronic bass. With the exception of the K-1000, the K-501 does reality better than just about anything else. The K-701 does not.

The K-501 needs a lot of current to open up and sing. If your funds are limited, I strongly recommend looking into the DIY forum here. DIY is not as difficult as it may seem. You just need a few, inexpensive tools, patience, and a willingness to learn.

Mar 27, 2007 at 12:23 AM Post #28 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trager /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I wanna know is... where did you get the K501 from? Everyplace I look seems to be out of them
frown.gif

I got mine new from TTVJ for something like ~$130. That was a while ago though. Before, I got it used on the forums here for ~$150... I think that was when the list price was still $199 or $249 or whatever it was.... don't remember. Shouldn't have sold it! (they need lotsa burn-in time...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back