AKG vs. Audio Technica for Rock/Acoustic
Jul 11, 2006 at 1:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Sodacose

100+ Head-Fier
I have recently started working at a shop that sells both AKG and Audio Technica. Because I get a fairly hefty discount, I think this is the opportune time for me to delve into some real 'high-end' headphones.

I've owned Grado's (sr80, sr125) and Sennheisers (hd497, hd555) before, and I definetly lean towards the Grado sound for the kind of music I listen to (rock, blues, acoustic mostly). Currently all I own in the way of decent phones are Super.fi 3's. They are alright: good for walking to class. For late night at-the-desk or in-the-bed listening though, I feel I could do much better.

Being open or closed is not really a huge issue. They are really going to be staying at home.

I have no amp now, but I could build another CMoy lickedy-split if I felt like it. Seeing as how I am saving a good deal of money on the phones though, I would be willing to spend something on a better amplifier (If I can get considerably better sound than a CMoy with $200ish, DIY included). They will mostly be driven from my mp3 player, receiver or computer.

I guess the question really boils down to: who has the better house sound amped and unamped for rock/blues/acoustic in their upper end ($250+) headphones? I will probably start with a decent headphone and then add an amp (DIY or bought) at some point down the road.

Thanks for your help!

Jul 11, 2006 at 6:10 AM Post #3 of 15
Well Audio Technica headphones universally have low impedances, making them great for use without an amp. Supposedly they improve with an amp though.

I haven't read much in the way of an AT being used with rock/acoustic though. That tends to be a forte of AKG cans.

Jul 11, 2006 at 10:25 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sodacose
I have recently started working at a shop that sells both AKG and Audio Technica. Because I get a fairly hefty discount, I think this is the opportune time for me to delve into some real 'high-end' headphones.

I've owned Grado's (sr80, sr125) and Sennheisers (hd497, hd555) before, and I definetly lean towards the Grado sound for the kind of music I listen to (rock, blues, acoustic mostly). Currently all I own in the way of decent phones are Super.fi 3's. They are alright: good for walking to class. For late night at-the-desk or in-the-bed listening though, I feel I could do much better.

Being open or closed is not really a huge issue. They are really going to be staying at home.

I have no amp now, but I could build another CMoy lickedy-split if I felt like it. Seeing as how I am saving a good deal of money on the phones though, I would be willing to spend something on a better amplifier (If I can get considerably better sound than a CMoy with $200ish, DIY included). They will mostly be driven from my mp3 player, receiver or computer.

I guess the question really boils down to: who has the better house sound amped and unamped for rock/blues/acoustic in their upper end ($250+) headphones? I will probably start with a decent headphone and then add an amp (DIY or bought) at some point down the road.

Thanks for your help!

ok, so you work in a store which sells AT and AKG cans..so why not go and audition as many as you can? I would
wink.gif
Just load up a player/source with your favorite reference tracks and go for your life! Good luck and let us know what you think.

BTW I love my ATs and AKGs for rock.
cool.gif

Jul 11, 2006 at 11:14 AM Post #5 of 15
Neither AKG nor AT have a uniformly consistent handling of rock. Some models are horrible for rock, others are good, a couple are incredible. The w2002 is overall not too great for rock (some its incredible with though) while the L3000 is the best rock can I've heard - far better than any Grado I've had. The w11jpn is very good for rock, while the w10vtg not so much. w5000 could be great for rock but I'm still a bit undecided on it.

Have had less luck with AKG. The K340 is quite good for rock, the K1000 is tolerable for rock but not great. The K701, K501, and K401 are clearly not optimized for rock IMO, and the k271s is pretty bad.

I guess based on my experiences so far AT has the definite edge.

Jul 11, 2006 at 11:27 AM Post #6 of 15
i think you'd have to further define your musical preferences before others can really help you there (i've never heard any AT phone, so i can't compare anyway).

rock/blues on one and acoustic on the other hand can be two wholly different beasts when it comes to headphones: while the akg k501 for example has an excellent reputation for many kinds of acoustic music (classical, country, singer/songwriters...), it's hardly a rock beast.

Jul 11, 2006 at 11:40 AM Post #7 of 15
I own ATH W5000, AKG K701 and K1000.
For rock IMO there is no contest: the W5000 are the best rock can I have ever heard, and they are also my all around favorites. They are well over your budget, but maybe you can have a very good price.
The good new is that they are not demanding on amplification: they sound really good even with cheap amp (according that you have a decent source).

The K701 is a capable headphone, good all around for its price, not particolarly exciting with rock and more picky with amplification.
In your case I would not bothered with the K1000: excellent can, but it gets really expensive and time consuming to make it sing

Jul 11, 2006 at 12:50 PM Post #8 of 15
Given you are a strings man, actually play an instrument type guy...

The AKG 701 will be right up your alley for its layering and speed. Should make playing along quite easy where as a can with bloom would make following a bass line difficult with bass coming out pretty one noted.

Jul 11, 2006 at 2:20 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeavyBassMan
ok, so you work in a store which sells AT and AKG cans..so why not go and audition as many as you can? I would
wink.gif
Just load up a player/source with your favorite reference tracks and go for your life! Good luck and let us know what you think.

BTW I love my ATs and AKGs for rock.
cool.gif

if only it were that easy. we're actually a music store, so we sell both AKG and AT microphones (we do have one pair of 240s's); but i can order their headphones through the store if i'd like. i'm not sure my boss would be too happy if I ordered one of every high-end can just to try them out
biggrin.gif

thanks a bunch for all the help so far. it's sounding like the w5000 or the k701 (former over the latter) might be good bets.

edit: hmm...even with my discount, the w5000 is going to be quite expensive. is there another AT headphone that could give me a taste of that sound without the huge commitment (there is a lot of talk of the AT coloration in other threads)?

Jul 11, 2006 at 3:34 PM Post #10 of 15
Hello!

I would not recommend the 701 for rock because of its too distant presentation. It isn't involving enough IMHO. As a budget can the A900s rock.

Cheers
Klaus

Jul 11, 2006 at 3:38 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by wirbeltier
Hello!

I would not recommend the 701 for rock because of its too distant presentation. It isn't involving enough IMHO. As a budget can the A900s rock.

Cheers
Klaus

Seconded.

m00h

Jul 11, 2006 at 3:45 PM Post #12 of 15
If you can still get them, the A900LTDs get excellent reviews with regards to comparisons with the AT woodies.

Jul 11, 2006 at 3:45 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by m00hk00h
Seconded.

m00h

Im gonna have to disagree... I think the K701's present distorted guitars very well, have a nice punchy bass, and nice sparkle that makes all but a very few rock/metal recordings of mine sound great.

Jul 11, 2006 at 4:02 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cousin Patty
Im gonna have to disagree... I think the K701's present distorted guitars very well, have a nice punchy bass, and nice sparkle that makes all but a very few rock/metal recordings of mine sound great.

I think it's the other way round. The K701 tends to present very emotional and exiting passaged in the music with not enough effort. It sounds like it's allways trying very hard and never reaching the right level of exitement in the music.

Also on some recordings the K701 seems to try to blow up the soundstage artifically. Sound quite annoying and confusing at the same time.

In one word: soulless. (Remember, we're talking about rock...)

m00h

Jul 13, 2006 at 1:21 AM Post #15 of 15
I think what I'm going to do is to buy two less expensive cans (one from each company) and upgrade with whatever I find more attune to my needs.

probably K81DJ from AKG and A900(LTD?) from AT.

thanks everybody for your help. you may not have answered the question exactly, but you have helped me find a solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back