AKG repair - What..
Oct 24, 2007 at 3:00 PM Post #31 of 48
When you say "i gave them the stock cable back and cable was in great condition" does that mean you had them re-cabled and you sent them with the new, upgraded cable attached and the original cable in the package? That wouldn't explain the damage (assuming they did it and not the person who re-cabled them), but it would explain why they weren't covered under warranty.

Oct 24, 2007 at 4:24 PM Post #32 of 48
i hand delivered it to their location. and yeah, it is the same headphone.

cable; in the invoice, they put cable $85. im saying there was no need for them to change or charge for cables since the cable was clearly in good condition.

Oct 24, 2007 at 8:44 PM Post #33 of 48
Why wasn't it a warranty repair?

Oct 24, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #35 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by mash440 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Adfinni: I saw your avatar on a bag on the bus.

That has got to be one of the most random comments I've seen in a while. :p

Oct 24, 2007 at 9:50 PM Post #37 of 48
oh noes, now i don't want to buy the k240's so much anymore :O

Oct 24, 2007 at 10:19 PM Post #38 of 48
I would certainly talk this one over with AKG...I wouldn't leave the building until I was either issued a full refund or got my (non destroyed) cans back.

If they decide to be pricks about it, I would file a formal complaint with your local/state government. I had issues with a company once, and filed a complaint with my congressmen. He sent a nasty letter to them, and they promptly gave me a refund.

Oct 25, 2007 at 12:28 AM Post #39 of 48
Well, lets look at this.

You recabled your K701 with a double-entry cable at some point. We know this because you later sold the cable here. Since this requires soldering to both drivers, I can't think of a way that this wouldn't void your warranty.

I mean, if you sent 'em in for an issue with the headband, you could argue that your recable job had no effect on the headband. But you had a driver go out.

I've soldered many AKG drivers. The way they attach the coil leads, you could have easily damaged one of them. In a way that's often fixable - but AKG isn't gonna check that. And you didn't either.

If i were AKG, I'd have charged you for the driver and for labor installing the driver and reinstalling your stock cable.

If i were you, I'd stick to the issues of why they thought you needed a new cable and how they managed to send it back with so much damage to the frame.

They aren't going to budge on the driver issue, and i don't blame them. I wouldn't either.

Oct 25, 2007 at 1:08 AM Post #40 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've soldered many AKG drivers. The way they attach the coil leads, you could have easily damaged one of them. In a way that's often fixable - but AKG isn't gonna check that. And you didn't either.

Almost every single time I've repaired an AKG driver the problem was due to a dislodged or broken voice coil lead, which was only worsened by the owner's attempts to fix it by repeatedly resoldering the cable to the driver. Actually now that I think about it, only once have I had to repair a driver where that wasn't the problem.

Oct 25, 2007 at 1:32 AM Post #41 of 48
so fitz, say i buy a pair of k240 studio's, will they be worth it, or is something like this going to happen?

Oct 25, 2007 at 1:53 AM Post #42 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by pez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so fitz, say i buy a pair of k240 studio's, will they be worth it, or is something like this going to happen?

Are you planning to do a lot of soldering on the drivers or something?

Oct 25, 2007 at 3:11 AM Post #43 of 48
no just listening through and amp which will go through my comp and an ipod shuffle sometimes and for stereo use and bass amp use too.

Oct 25, 2007 at 4:53 AM Post #45 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, lets look at this.

You recabled your K701 with a double-entry cable at some point. We know this because you later sold the cable here. Since this requires soldering to both drivers, I can't think of a way that this wouldn't void your warranty.

I mean, if you sent 'em in for an issue with the headband, you could argue that your recable job had no effect on the headband. But you had a driver go out.

If i were AKG, I'd have charged you for the driver and for labor installing the driver and reinstalling your stock cable.

If i were you, I'd stick to the issues of why they thought you needed a new cable and how they managed to send it back with so much damage to the frame.

They aren't going to budge on the driver issue, and i don't blame them. I wouldn't either.

I smelled something bogus from word one on this thread. See my previous posts. Now it looks like the OP misled us about a re-cable gone bad. Can we take back all the AKG hate?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back