AKG Q701 Vs. AKG K702 | Comparison & Review
Feb 11, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #76 of 427

Quote:
No, not for us listeners.  But he's a freaking producer!  I hope he isn't mastering too many songs while his Q701s are backwards. 

Damn....if I want to hear Thriller as it was intended I suppose I have to turn my headphones around. 
biggrin.gif

Feb 11, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #77 of 427

Quote:

Ya, I guess the bubbles are common place now.  The K702's didn't have them though...

I was going to ask:  Do other people have bubbles on their diaphragms?

I asked in the K701 thread a few months ago and some other people confirmed it.  I was going to ask in the Q701 thread, but I know some members there are probably reading this thread too...
I read somewhere that AKG switched to a new diaphragm that was softer.  

I'm pretty sure it's purely cosmetic.

No bubbles here. I just looked at my K601 and it looks exactly like the picture you posted. I can't even tell apart the drivers at all, yet they sound completely different.

For fun right now I put my Q701's foam and pads on the K601. Sounds almost TOO WARM and not very clear. Both the foam pieces behind the pads are the same on the Q701 and K601.

I definitely didn't turn it into a Q701
biggrin.gif

Years back there was even a discussion on how the K601 might share the same drivers as the K701!

Feb 11, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #78 of 427
Feb 11, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #79 of 427
Here's another ultra tiny difference. Probably not audible. Foam over a driver IS audible, but probably not something like this.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/564427/k701-vs-k702-vs-q701-which-one-considering-recabling-among-other-things/15#post_7755190

Everyone at AKG is probably laughing at such stupid posts like mine! I just want to figure this mystery out.

K701 and K601 have the same part # for the foam in front of the driver. The Q701 and K702 share the same foam part #.

EDIT:
One strange thing I noticed is that my Q701 had two types of foam under the pads. One that was coarse and sparkly (as found on the Q701..I think) and another that was soft and should be on the K701.
I never removed the foam before, so that was kind of weird. Foam is foam..I guess.

I'm not going to compare the sound quality between foam pieces..I'm not that bad..yet .
Actually, I have, but you won't see any reviews for foam pieces from me!
normal_smile%20.gif

The softer foam had the best bass and soundstage. Ok, only kidding...

Feb 12, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #80 of 427

Quote:
I'm not going to compare the sound quality between foam pieces..I'm not that bad..yet .
Actually, I have, but you won't see any reviews for foam pieces from me!
normal_smile%20.gif

The softer foam had the best bass and soundstage. Ok, only kidding...

To me the black earpads on Q701 and K702 sound more musical and energetic than the grey K701 pads.  The K701 pads sound dull and boring/life-less.  Also my right "Q" badge has better sub bass then my left one
confused.gif

*sarcasm ^*

Feb 12, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #81 of 427
Pad rolling can make a significant difference to the sound. Its what Astro did to their newer A40s. The newer pads added bass and warmth. Lots of people still prefer the older pads as they were more analytical.

I didn't realize the K701s pads were a different material. Perhaps that's what's causing the difference for me?

Feb 12, 2012 at 2:13 AM Post #83 of 427

Quote:
Pad rolling can make a significant difference to the sound. Its what Astro did to their newer A40s. The newer pads added bass and warmth. Lots of people still prefer the older pads as they were more analytical.
I didn't realize the K701s pads were a different material. Perhaps that's what's causing the difference for me?

I guess my sarcasm didn't come across on the internetz.

Feb 12, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #84 of 427
Soundstage? How far sound reaches? I'd say they are comparable. The K701 might sound larger, but that's because it has less bass. Soundstages tend to sound bigger with less bass. However, I wouldn't say the Q701 has a smaller soundstage if you pay attention.

I still believe the AD700 destroys in soundstage vs either AKG. Speaking with Dolby Headphone, obviously.

Feb 12, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #85 of 427
I guess my sarcasm didn't come across on the internetz.

I was actually speaking from my own experience. I thought the K701 may have had stiffer pads than the Qs. Though that's just off memory. My memory on pads isn't the same as my memory on sound. Except certain unforgettable pads, like the boiling heat I got from wearing the XB700 for a bit too long. Or the ridiculous AD700 pads that I couldn't figure out how to orientate perfectly after I took them off... :rolleyes:

Feb 12, 2012 at 2:31 AM Post #86 of 427

Quote:
Soundstage? How far sound reaches? I'd say they are comparable. The K701 might sound larger, but that's because it has less bass. Soundstages tend to sound bigger with less bass. However, I wouldn't say the Q701 has a smaller soundstage if you pay attention.
I still believe the AD700 destroys in soundstage vs either AKG. Speaking with Dolby Headphone, obviously.

This ^ 

K70x sounds more distant because there's less weight to the sound.  Q701 sounds more grounded.  Technically the soundstage size is about the same though.

Quote:
I was actually speaking from my own experience. I thought the K701 may have had stiffer pads than the Qs. Though that's just off memory. My memory on pads isn't the same as my memory on sound. Except certain unforgettable pads, like the boiling heat I got from wearing the XB700 for a bit too long. Or the ridiculous AD700 pads that I couldn't figure out how to orientate perfectly after I took them off...
rolleyes.gif

Oh.  I thought the K702 had fatter more asymmetrical angled pads then K701. 

Haha, I remember getting those AD700 pad's alignment screwed up and trying to find out where the heck the oval shape is supposed to be.
I have to say, I love the pads on these AKGs.  Huge cups with non-itchy velour
k701smile.gif
  No weird Jaw pressure like on the AD700s.  Those would make my jaw tired after a few hours. 
I especially love how easy it is take the pads on and off.  Just a slight twist and they're off, and they're marked with a line so you always know how to put the back on.
I tore my AD700s pads up taking them on and off too many times.

Feb 12, 2012 at 3:17 AM Post #88 of 427
The Qs is so damn comfy now. It really didn't take long for the bumps to become a non-issue, and the pads have the perfect amount of stiffness/softness. They really are awesome on the ears.

My only issue is really with it needed a bit more extension on the arms to give it some 'headroom' (literally and figuratively). Right now, its large enough for my noggin, but it does feel like its trying to detract itself.

That and the cups being sobig, kinda hard to lay down with them, but that's just a gripe, really.

Feb 12, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #89 of 427

Quote:
Now someone do a review on bubbles vs. no bubbles... 

Probably get more placebo effect than any real result. 
eek.gif

How about a review on large bubbles vs. small bubbles! LOL
tongue_smile.gif

BTW, has anyone noticed that the green Q701s have a more organic sound to them? LOL
k701smile.gif

Feb 12, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #90 of 427

Quote:
How about a review on large bubbles vs. small bubbles! LOL
tongue_smile.gif

BTW, has anyone noticed that the green Q701s have a more organic sound to them? LOL
k701smile.gif

Organic?  The made them naturally without any pesticides?
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back