AKG Q701 or Philips Fidelio X1
Jul 26, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #16 of 21
612pro is more neutral and has better bass extension than X1, q701, hd600

P.S: if you want bigger soundstage then ma900 is your option, it is also can be described as neutral with more open airy relaxed soundstage with very intimate forward mid-range. 

Jul 26, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #17 of 21
Hm i prefer the K612 too, over the K702s, the only problem i had with my MA900 is, that once you get to a certain volume it starts crackling in the bass with some tracks and especially movies and games, had 2 pairs to check if mine was maybe flawed and tried amped and unamped, just to big a driver with to thin a membrane, loved the overall sound though, X1s to my taste were better, but the MA900 i liked more than Sennheiser HD598 and K702 even maybe, but id had to revisite that matter to be completely sure^^ Just know one thing, that the X1 is my all time favorite up until now, hoping X2 which is coming soon to change that :D

Jul 26, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #18 of 21
X1 is my all time favorite headphone too. I have K701, Hd650, DT990, HE-400 as comparisons. X1 strike the perfect balance for me on every front, but yes I like a bit of bass.

The 612 pro look very interesting, as do the M900. I've always been curious about those

Sep 12, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #21 of 21
Hi all
I have had both X1 and Q701 over the last few years and they are very different in presentation. For me Q701s are very comfortable and X1 comfort is good as well. For the price with suitable discounts both represent good value in headphone terms but I have broken 4 pairs of X1's over a 2 year period and now feel they are not mechanically robust enough for long term ownership.  I pulled a busted pair of x1 apart recently and the input socket is very poorly designed and constructed which is where most problems have happened in my pairs.

Both headphones are great for cable changing . I found Silver plated copper a real improvement for the X1's with a special order manufactured by Frank at Toxic Cables to be a really excellent upgrade.

I recently dusted off the Q701's and did the vent/port mod and recabled using some Toxic cable I purchased for another Headphone set. I was staggered in how much better than I remembered the Q701's sounded after the mods and have got them out off the Box for further listening. 

For my ears the X1 are quite refined   but bass heavy have a forward presentation and with a upgraded cable have an open top end.

With the q701's its about trying to get a bottom  frequency range  full stop. The vent mod helps a lot and cable change from stock is also advisable .They are very open analytical phones and can sound thin in the wrong system. However I am listening to them again after about 3 years in the wilderness and the mods performed has resurrected them from also rans.

I do have more expensive phones and ultimately the q701's are not quite as great  as some of the top end phones but I must say I am enjoying them once again.

So I cannot recommend the X1's because of my issues with them but they are a good phone with stock cable limitations
Q701 are a different but can be equally as good with a bit more work on venting and cabling.

Alternatively you can just get a pair of Hd800's or Grado PS1000 and worry about the overdraft while enjoying the music !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back