AKG Q701 Burn In Volume Help Please
Mar 12, 2013 at 7:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

The Luke

New Head-Fier
I have just purchased some AKG Q701 headphones and am using them with my MacBook Pro through an Apogee ONE interface.

Listening to music through iTunes, I have "sound check" enabled, and at full volume (with sound check on) the volume is still listenable and songs tend push the Apogee output LEDs to Orange on peaks (The LEDs go Green; Orange; Red)

I had read about burning headphones in and found this website http://www.jlabaudio.com/burn.php

Now I have used it for about three hours in total. Mostly at 50% volume, and maybe 30 minutes at 10% and 15 minutes at 75% volume at the end of the three hours.

50% or 75% volume using the burn in website would be too loud to listen to if I was wearing the headphones, and drives the second, Orange, LED solidly.

So I am wondering, how loud is too loud for burn in?

I understand my Apogee is USB bus powered, so won't get as loud as a dedicated amplifier, but do I still need to be very careful? What is a sensible volume? What should I watch out for? Am I running the risk of damaging the headphones?

Thank for any help with this, I am new to this world.

Mar 12, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
I'm no expert at this whole burn in shimmy, but slightly above your comfortable listening volume is the usual response around here.

I guess that makes sense.
The volume was definitely above my listening level, probably more than slightly. 50% output on the Apogee with the pink noise is about the equivalent volume I listen to louder music at - Solid Green LED.

Additionally, I kind of doubt a USB powered Apogee ONE is capable of delivering enough volume to damage these anyway.
I was just looking for advice.

Mar 12, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
So I am wondering, how loud is too loud for burn in?

I understand my Apogee is USB bus powered, so won't get as loud as a dedicated amplifier, but do I still need to be very careful? What is a sensible volume? What should I watch out for? Am I running the risk of damaging the headphones?

If it isn't too loud for you to listen to, it isn't too loud for burn-in. Use your normal listening volume. Use a higher-than-normal listening volume. Use the highest volume you can stand that still sounds good. Use any volume that doesn't overdrive your Apogee. (I don't think burn-in will do anything for you, at all, but the process is as simple as it sounds.)

If you're as careful about the headphones as you are with your ears, you'll be okay. No Worries. If it feels good to you, Just Do It.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back