AKG Q460 anyone have experience with them?
Apr 1, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #76 of 108
I don't listen to classical, but for rock...I didn't like them. I thought they were a little artificial sounding. They were decent for electronic and jazz, but for some reason...I moved back to my PortaPro's. Much more natural sound IMO. I boosted the bass quite a bit on the Q460 which pushed it into an area that it doesn't necessarily shine. For stuff like Tosca, Walkner Mostl, Kruder and Dorfmeister, Spacemen, etc...they did pretty well b/c the music has so many unnatural sounds to it to begin with. A really good acoustic kick drum on something like John Mayer or  RHCP didn't sound natural.

I think for the money...the PP's are more versatile.

I'm going to try my Turbine's when I get home...FedEx delivered them today. If I don't like those, then I'm going to bite the bullet and go ZX700 or M50. I'm tired of messing around with all this mamby-pamby crap trying to get sound that surpasses the PP.

My opinion...I wouldn't waste my time with Quincy Jones.

Apr 1, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #77 of 108
The K518 are far superior in sound quality.  You'll hear things much more clearly with them, even if they do have a bassiness to them.  You are incorrect as to the K450 sound.  The K450 is like a K430 that tries to sound more fun, rather than the K430's faithfulness.  The K430 is more balanced and articulated.  When they were clearanced from Guitar Center recently, there were a ton of reviews popping up about how crappy people thought they sounded, because their neutrality was confused for crapiness by incapable ears.  The K450 are a bit more muddled, but not in a bad way.  It's not worse or better than the K430, just different.  My girlfriend enjoys the 450 more than the 430, while I'm the other way around.

Apr 4, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #78 of 108
thanks a lot for your opinions and experiences!!
If the Q460 is not that suited for rock, that might mean a 'no-go' for me.
Also because I had the possibility to listen to the K420 and K430 some months ago in a store and, while I realy liked the K420, I didn't like the K430 which sounded to closed, muffled and 'narrow' to my ears. But while I did read some posts stating (without much further explanation) that the K450 had a better sound, you're experiences with both the K430 and K450 make me doubt about it even more.
confused_face_2.gif

It's a pitty I can't find someone who did a direct comparison with the Sennheisers PX 210 or PXC 310, which seem to be the direct contenders I'm doubting between.
confused.gif

Many question marks
rolleyes.gif
. If only I could find a store where I could here them and compare them myself...ears & tastes, it's not easy do describe
happy_face1.gif

Apr 4, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #79 of 108
actually, I do find 2 very consistent conclusions in everyone's posts who had the chance to hear both the K518 and one of the K430-450-480-Q460:
  1. except for the fact it has more (maybe a to much) bass, the K518 sounds better :)  (...and the bass could be tuned down with the equalizer)
  2. the K518 isolate better. (passively...)
  3. + they are cheaper

Those are very good things to know! Thanks a lot everyone!
It just leaves me with a search for a size-comparison.

It's a pitty the K518 don't exist with noise-cancellation for the many who spend many hours on public transport. No Idea how they compare with the K480 NC on that aspect.
rolleyes.gif

I might just buy and try the Sennheiser PXC 310 ànd the K518... the K518 aren't thàt expensive and they may form a good (if pointless :s) duo... dangerous way of thinking for my wallet, as I also would like better earbuds than my OK3 (MX890 might have to become MX880...)!
redface.gif
I should stop reading Head-Fi
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 7, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #80 of 108
Active noise cancellation is a joke.  If you want noise cancellation, get yourself IEMs.

Apr 30, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #82 of 108
First, make sure that they're real.  Second, the K450 were selling for as low as $70 when I bought mine, but I haven't followed pricing recently.

May 5, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #83 of 108
Has anyone experienced tightness with these Q460s? I just bought a pair and after a bit of listening my ears really hurt from the fit and I have a small head! I like the sound but just from the pain my ears are feeling right now I might have to return them. Do they stretch out? or did I just get a defective pair that are too tight for my small head?

May 5, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #84 of 108
Hi there,
I have quite an average-sized head and to me the Q460s feel extremely comfortable. I actually decided to buy them because I don't want to lug big phones 'round when traveling and IEMs physically hurt my ears after using them for a while.
I have a pro background in music production, sound design and postpro, so sound reproduction quality matters a lot for me, as I have a strong desire to enjoy the music I am listening to in my free time. 
smily_headphones1.gif

In regards to the overall quality of the phones: The biggest caveat has been mentioned multiple times - they don't shine on the top end. Probably a voicing / design decision to give the impression bass boost by cutting the treble. Doesn't really make me happy, but there are ways to overcome this problem in case the music playback device of your choice has some kind of EQ, as the top end cut is quite a "natural" slope. I am mostly using those phones with my Macbook Pro 13" (iTunes) and my iPhone, the "Treble Booster" EQ setting opens up the sound on these cans beyond belief - almost MDR5706-ish! 
The Q460s feature quite a solid bass for the size / price and a smooth midrange, the closed design blocks noise from the outside quite efficiently. Together with the quite solid hardcase, mic and remote options and exchangeable cords, the Q460s seem to be the perfect partner for me 

After using those headphones for almost two weeks now, I somehow get the impression that the top end slowly begins to open up a bit, are there other users that share this experience?

May 7, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #85 of 108
Regarding comfort - I have an above average sized head (to say the least) and I find those headphones to be very comfortable (I like them more than my px100 comfort wise) the only gripe I have about their comfort is that over a long periods (let's say two hours of non stop listening) there is some fatigue build up on my ears. Nothing that a brief removal of the headphones wont solve.

Regarding the highs - I have those headphones for about a week now, and I do notice a bit more shine on the high end and a slightly better controlled bass. The mids to my taste were smooth and perfect to begin with.

Vandaven, I've read on some thread that you have the Nuforce udac2 AMP/DAC - how does it sound coupled with the q460, supposed to bring out those cut highs.

P.s. Vandaven, I cant wait for your impressions of the replacement cord :)

May 7, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #86 of 108
The headphones are very comfortable for me, unless I'm wearing my larger, plastic frame eyeglasses.

May 7, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #87 of 108
Hi Snufkin,

I suppose there is no amp in the world that can "undo" the voicing of the Q460s, unless it has a built-in (and hopefully switchable) high shelf boost (like for example the Practical Devices XM6). As I explained in my previous post, I suppose it is the "hp voicing fashion trend" to give the more (or, imho - unnatural) bass. I guess it's the subwoofer home trend, I wish some people could listen to the big Tannoy main monitors in the studio I work at, dual concentric design and linear down to 30 Hz, and no big "BOOM" low end, but extremely precise... that's how I prefer to listen to music.

Apart from that, I still think the 460s are a good pair of cans, just a bit of EQ and they sound fine. Visited my brother yesterday who just got his pair of Q460s, did some comparison and the high end seems to loosen up in time (mine clearly more open than his). Probably, after a month of constant *burn in* listening, things will be different, wouldn't surprise me much, typical AKG burn-in phase.

To my ears, the Nuforce uDAC2 is an upgrade to the built-in audio out of my Macbook Pro, sounds good with my entire hp collection, thus also with the Q460. As the audio output of the Macbook is already quite good, I guess PC owners will even benefit more from the Nuforce. Just wait until the unit gets warm after about 20 minutes, then it really delivers. To me, it's a quality sign when audio gear gets warm (unless it burns up, hehehe). 

As soon as the cable arrives at my place, I will either comment on this thread or PM you!

VanDaven .... out.

May 8, 2011 at 4:26 AM Post #89 of 108
Vandaven, I think you should try the Superlux 668B if you're looking for precision on a budget :) My dad has a pair and the sound is amazing for the price.

May 8, 2011 at 6:55 AM Post #90 of 108
Thank you very much, Snuffkin, I think I already have to many a headphones, if I buy some more my gal will start complaining and I can only put on closed ones 
gs1000.gif
. Also got some in the "audiophile" midrange (higher priced Ultrasone stuff), but I hardly ever listen with them because the sound way too detached from "real" sound. Sennheiser HD25 & Sony MDR-7506 is my game when I work, for long-term listening I prefer open designs. The Q460 is the right companion for traveling. 

Enjoy your Sunday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back