AKG Q460 anyone have experience with them?
Feb 18, 2011 at 11:00 AM Post #46 of 108
It doesn't matter if it was bought from an authorized dealer.  What you did is called a gray market purchase.  Here is the wikipedia page on it, specifically as it applies to photographic equipment, since it most closely resembles other consumer goods.  if you replace "photographic equipment" with "headphones" you will understand why you aren't getting a warranty honored:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_market#Photographic_equipment

Just look up "gray market" in google, and read to your heart's content.  Sorry it happened, but it's part of the risk.

Feb 18, 2011 at 1:20 PM Post #47 of 108
I tried these out for a week. When used with EQ, they sound great. I was very surprised at the tight bass and the very forward mids and pin-point highs. But, when I used them on devices that did not have EQ, they did not fair so well. Ultimately, I returned them. But I do think of them every now and then. with a good EQ they can sing, and they fold up to be incredibly compact, as well as have a great case. 

Feb 20, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #49 of 108
That's really interesting to see that the Q460 are an improvement to the K450, when everyone thought that the Q460s were just rebrands.  Makes me wonder if the Q701 is an improvement?

Feb 20, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #50 of 108
Hi guys...how would these compare to the Koss PortaPro? I've got mine running out of a Clip+ Rockboxed and I have to pump up the bass and treble to make it suit my sonic taste. That said...I'm liking the PortaPro's...I'd just like a little more clarity. They are good for the coin...but I'm looking for a bit more.

It's the q460 or I go up to the less portable K181DJ.

Thanks.

Feb 20, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #51 of 108
Finally I got the chance to A/B Q460 with K450.

I acknowledge their specs are the same and frankly speaking I dun expect them to sound different. But they DOES sound different - the Q460 comes with a much more open and sparkly sound than K450. In comparison the K450 sounds veiled and distant. Bass quantity is more or less the same, that is quite a lot, even on the boundary of overpowering for some, but the more forward mids and more sparkly highs make up for that.

Not the most detailed can but I dun think that's its selling point anyway - what AKG tries to achieve in their mini-cans is, i think, to sound like their big brothers as much as possible, and I think in Q460 they succeeds. Despite its shortcomings, it does sound BIG and powerful with a certain sense of balance and accuracy even with the emphasis on bass, and its performance is admirable even when driven by ipods directly.

Feb 21, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #52 of 108
I took the plunge, should have the black ones sometime this week.  The only real undecided is the SQ.  I just hope the bass isn't overpowering.  I am more a treble head.  AKG def. did everything else right in my book as far as my wishlist on portable phones.  What I have been waiting for: One sided cable, Detachable cable, iPhone remote, Compact, Hard case, attenuates decently and rugged.

Feb 22, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #55 of 108

Quote:
Finally I got the chance to A/B Q460 with K450.

I acknowledge their specs are the same and frankly speaking I dun expect them to sound different. But they DOES sound different - the Q460 comes with a much more open and sparkly sound than K450. In comparison the K450 sounds veiled and distant. Bass quantity is more or less the same, that is quite a lot, even on the boundary of overpowering for some, but the more forward mids and more sparkly highs make up for that.

Not the most detailed can but I dun think that's its selling point anyway - what AKG tries to achieve in their mini-cans is, i think, to sound like their big brothers as much as possible, and I think in Q460 they succeeds. Despite its shortcomings, it does sound BIG and powerful with a certain sense of balance and accuracy even with the emphasis on bass, and its performance is admirable even when driven by ipods directly.

Hello @Productred, I wish to ask you if your AKG K450 had a good burn-in before comparation with Q460, thanks!

Feb 23, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #56 of 108
More pics and impressions please.  I have listened to the k81s a bit, are these basically a repackaged version of those?  How are they on clarity?  I have fallen hard for their baby-headphone looks.

Feb 24, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #57 of 108
They are nowhere near K81, which for portable headphones, are in a class above all of these mini on-ear.  I now need to test, because we have multiple people claiming that the K450 sounds different than the K460, even though AKG has stated that mechanically they are the same headphone, except for the cable with ipod controls.  Anyone in Austin, TX have K460 and want to do a comparo?  I'll bring my K518, K430, and K450 to test.

Even if they were tweaked, they are still nowhere near the K81/K518s.  Read this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-69-portable-headphones-reviewed-bowers-wilkins-p5-sony-xb700-added-02-21

Now, the K450 and K430 are very similar.  One doesn't necessarily sound better than the other or use higher quality components.  The K450 just sound more "fun" while the K430 are more "balanced."  I really need to add them to my mini-comparison.  I'll try to do that soon, and after I do I'll link to it.

Feb 24, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #58 of 108
I'm confused by your post.  Are you saying that the Q460 are definitely inferior to the k81 $60 phones or much better than them?  In the review link that you posted both the K81DJ and the K430 scored a 7/10 for sound.

Feb 24, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #59 of 108
The Q460 are on a level with the K450 (I believe they are the same but for the cable and the color, because I couldn't hear a difference). Their sound is mushy and dark. They are clearly inferior to the K81/K518.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back