AKG Q460 anyone have experience with them?
Jan 30, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #31 of 108
ahh yes, well I placed my order right before the sale ended for the Q460's, I got them for $101 shipped to me, I'm still waiting for them to process my order but hopefully I should have them in about a week and will give you guys an impression:)

Feb 7, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #35 of 108
I have a Q460 on loan right now. I also have a K430. 

Having had the chance to try a whole bunch of mini cans like the PX-100-II, PX200-II, HD25, HD238, all the Koss, PX90, etc. I'll say that the Q460 is the first driver I've heard in a mini can that performs near it's potential straight out of portables. Most others either sound thick with loose/bloated bass, may sound lean and thin, or somewhere in between. Usually you can hear some symptoms of not being powered correctly off a HP out.

Perfectly fine dynamics across the board. Tight, quick, and punchy bass with no bleed. Meaty mids that are neither recessed nor forward and under control. The treble is extended and right on the line between subdued and sparkly.The treble is just there enough to notice and again behaves in line with the rest of the spectrum. Nicely cohesive as almost everything works together/performs at the same level from bottom to top. The bass is the slightly dominant part of the spectrum. Outside in the real world that dominance gets reduced by external sounds and they are well balanced. There is also some play with fit, moving them front or back slightly on the ears, to tweak the balance a bit.  

To me, I hear the same driver as the K430. Tweaked however, more powerful magnets maybe, whatever. The K430 takes more volume and is lean in comparison. The right amp and they should sound near the same. The K430 sounds like it needs more power. It doesn't have the dynamics that the Q460 does. The bass fades fast and, like all notes across the spectrum, are not as sharp and tight. The K430 mids are lean as well. The whole K430 sound is lean which makes the treble stand out more. The Q460 fills in everything nearly just right straight out of the same sources.

Don't have a K450 nor have I ever heard one so, unfortunately, I can't compare those two.

Feb 9, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #41 of 108
AKG definitely come with a warranty.  MAke sure you buy from an authorized dealer.

Quote:
spot on jant

I actually see jant's review being contrary to yours, and more in line with what I have written previously in this thread and in others about the Q460 being identical to the K450, sonically.  Identical overall to the K430, except for a different sound signature, caused by tweaked drivers.

Feb 10, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #42 of 108
Got mine for a couple of weeks now.
Sound is good (not great) but the inline-remote is already dead !!!!

AKG customer support is not very "supportive",
and it seems I will have difficulties getting a replacement (I'm in Canada and I bought it in the States)!
angry_face.gif

Feb 12, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #43 of 108
If you buy through non-authorized channels, then you have no one to complain to.  AKG had no control over the product between when it left their distributors and it then got to you.  Part of the cost of buying authorized means that they have control over the product, so they are responsible for it.  This is true for any product that you would ever buy, whether it's a computer, pair of headphones, camera, etc.

Feb 17, 2011 at 7:54 AM Post #44 of 108
You are right "shnitz", but it was bought through a authorized AKG dealer.

But my point is that its seems that AKG have problems with there cables (in the K450 and now with the Q460).
I don't find that acceptable on 150$ cans !

Sound wise, those are 70$ headphone max (if replacement cable were easily available online), not as "Fun" and dynamic as my Portapro.
Very easy to drive with my iPhone4 and fair isolation.
They are well built, accept for the cable, and comfortable.

I'm now looking for PX-200IIi or Klipsch Image one, any suggestions ?

Feb 18, 2011 at 9:03 AM Post #45 of 108

Quote:
You are right "shnitz", but it was bought through a authorized AKG dealer.

But my point is that its seems that AKG have problems with there cables (in the K450 and now with the Q460).
I don't find that acceptable on 150$ cans !

Sound wise, those are 70$ headphone max (if replacement cable were easily available online), not as "Fun" and dynamic as my Portapro.
Very easy to drive with my iPhone4 and fair isolation.
They are well built, accept for the cable, and comfortable.

I'm now looking for PX-200IIi or Klipsch Image one, any suggestions ?

Replacement cables for the K450/K480NC/Q460 are avialable from the AKG website though... by the way, for the cable size they are quite durable. I've had the same cable for 2 years without issue, more like the build of the 450, i've noticed the area where you insert the plug on the headphone itself is starting to literally split.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back