AKG Q460 anyone have experience with them?
Jan 23, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #16 of 108

Quote:
thanks for reminding me. yep ive been using them for a week now. sounds way better than k450. will post an update soon

Please, a review, short or long, QUICK!!!!!!!!
gs1000.gif
 U are getting me excited......................

Jan 24, 2011 at 7:49 AM Post #18 of 108
first impressions: (compared with k450)
gear used: cowon x7 volume set at 18

bass: audible till 20hz. has the same punch with k450 but extends deeper, has better quality, and is more controlled. creeps a tiny little bit to the mids but it doesn't matter when your enjoying the music

mids: classic akg lush buttery smooth mids. a little bit more forward than neutral. vocals are excellent here. still better quality than 450

treble: lacks sparkle but extends till 17khz. details are there but it lacks something like the t50p can reproduce cymbals. definitely more than k450. nothing wrong here. im satisfied

soundstage: average for a closed can but has depth and is more 3d like. good for trance/house/electronica

after these opened up, it made the k450 sound muddy to me. these are my new go to portable cans now. i also ordered an upgrade cable and will post more impressions once i get them. cheers!

Jan 25, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #20 of 108

Quote:

bass: audible till 20hz. has the same punch with k450 but extends deeper, has better quality, and is more controlled. creeps a tiny little bit to the mids but it doesn't matter when your enjoying the music

mids: classic akg lush buttery smooth mids. a little bit more forward than neutral. vocals are excellent here. still better quality than 450

treble: lacks sparkle but extends till 17khz. details are there but it lacks something like the t50p can reproduce cymbals. definitely more than k450. nothing wrong here. im satisfied

soundstage: average for a closed can but has depth and is more 3d like. good for trance/house/electronica

after these opened up, it made the k450 sound muddy to me. these are my new go to portable cans now. i also ordered an upgrade cable and will post more impressions once i get them. cheers!

quick question, are the Q460 worth 2x the price of the K450's ? Because I can get the K450s for just a little over $80 and the Q460s are $169...

Jan 25, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #22 of 108

Quote:

that's a little bit unexpected, but thanks for sharing

nice username by the way...

Jan 25, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #23 of 108

Quote:
Quote:

quick question, are the Q460 worth 2x the price of the K450's ? Because I can get the K450s for just a little over $80 and the Q460s are $169...

for the design and sq your getting, id say $169 is a fair deal. msrp is $229 if im not mistaken

Jan 26, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #24 of 108
I'd disagree that $170 is a good deal.  You're entering Sennheiser Hd25-1 ii and AKG K181DJ territory at that price.  They're less portable, but the sound quality is not even close.  I'd only consider that worth it if I were comparing it to Apple store prices, where AKG in that case is cheaper than the Monster and Bose, and only about $20 more expensive than the Klipsch, Skullcandy, and B&W.

Jan 26, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #25 of 108
then the B&W?

the p5 is 299 (not that it's worth it)

Jan 27, 2011 at 11:59 AM Post #26 of 108

Quote:
I'd disagree that $170 is a good deal.  You're entering Sennheiser Hd25-1 ii and AKG K181DJ territory at that price.  They're less portable, but the sound quality is not even close.  I'd only consider that worth it if I were comparing it to Apple store prices, where AKG in that case is cheaper than the Monster and Bose, and only about $20 more expensive than the Klipsch, Skullcandy, and B&W.

Yeah I can get the HD-25's the adidas versions not saying the SQ is any better but they look beautiful IMO, for $240, still about $70 more but yeah.

Jan 30, 2011 at 8:19 AM Post #30 of 108
I posted above about the + and - keys not working on my remote using my Iphone 3G.  I tested the remote on my son's iphone 3Gs and it works fine on his, so I guess the remote does not fully function on the iphone 3G (as was suggested above by someone).  Thanks for the help in solving my problem.

I thought I would post a review of the phones now that I've used them for a week.  These phones have surprisingly strong bass for such small phones.  And midrange is "buttery smooth" as someone commented above.  But the high end is definitely lacking.  Listening to the tambourine sound on The Beatles Hey Jude, it's very subdued on the Q460.  By comparison, my old Koss Porta Pro (which cost $50) presents that tambourine sound much more prominently and has a much better high end.  But the Koss doesn't have the full midrange response that the 460 does, so the Koss sounds scooped by comparison.  Overall, I probably like the Q460 better than the Koss, but I miss that high end response.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back