AKG Q460 anyone have experience with them?
Dec 12, 2010 at 5:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 108

Proglover

Progressiveus Drummeus
I was in a mobile telephone shop today when I saw these portable headphones
I know of the K420,430,450,480. I sometimes use the 450 for portable use, I actually like their sound, can't exactly say why, but they do something for me.

Anyone has experience with these Q460's? Are they new, someone knows anything about them?
Never saw them before, couldn't find any info on them in head-fi topics. 

Dec 13, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #3 of 108
PepsiCo is correct.  If you know and love the K450, then buy these, and enjoy your new color and inline mic/ipod remote.

Dec 14, 2010 at 6:15 AM Post #4 of 108
ok thanks guys, thanks for the correction on the typenumber pepsico:)

I have and love the K450 for what it does in that price range. It's half the price of Q460. 

Dec 27, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #5 of 108
I've had the AKG K430 for a while but I wrecked it not long ago, and figured I might aswell get a new and better one instead of buying the same model again.
I wanted another AKG from the foldable mini headphones series by AKG.
I came across the Q460, but there wasn't too much valuable information released about it.

I wanted some more information on the Q460 and was hoping if perhaps someone here could answer some quesions on the Q460?

Are you sure the Q460 and the K450 sound the same?
I also at first thought that the K450 would be the same as the K480NC (the flagshipmodel from the same mini-series by AKG), only without the Noice cancelling feature. However, even though I never tested it myself, I heard that the K480NC actually sounded better than the K450.
This got me wondering. If the Q460 would be the same as the K450, only with a different appearance and, ofcourse, with signature, then why wouldn't AKG have named it the Q450 instead of the Q460?

This gets me to the main question: What is the difference in sound between the Q460 and the K480NC, apart from Noise-cancelling feature on the K480NC?
If the Q460 does sound the same as the K450, that would mean that the K480NC will sound better than the Q460.
However, the K480NC was released a couple of years ago for the price of 250$, while the Q460 is now released for 230$.
Also, the Q460 and K480NC have different specs:
K480NC:
Frequency Response: 11Hz- 30,500Hz
Sensitivity: 127dB SPL/V

Q460:
[size=small]Frequency Response: 11Hz — 29,5kHz[/size]
[size=x-small]Sensitivity: 125dB SPL/V[/size]

Anyway, can anyone tell me the difference in sound between the Q460 and the K480NC?
I would really appreciate it. :)

Dec 28, 2010 at 5:54 AM Post #6 of 108
They increased the K450 to Q460 to denote that it now has ipod controls, so it is warranted a new model number.  I personally talked to someone at AKG, and I am 100% positive that this is true.

For sound quality, who told you that 480NC sounds better?  Active noise canceling ALWAYS degrades the sound quality. I haven't heard the 480, but I can almost guarantee that you will be better served with the K450/Q460.  I have the 430 and 450, and the 450 have a slightly more fun sound, but the 430 have better instrument separation and a more "true to the original intent" sound.

Dec 28, 2010 at 6:00 AM Post #7 of 108

Quote:
They increased the K450 to Q460 to denote that it now has ipod controls, so it is warranted a new model number.  I personally talked to someone at AKG, and I am 100% positive that this is true.

For sound quality, who told you that 480NC sounds better?  Active noise canceling ALWAYS degrades the sound quality. I haven't heard the 480, but I can almost guarantee that you will be better served with the K450/Q460.  I have the 430 and 450, and the 450 have a slightly more fun sound, but the 430 have better instrument separation and a more "true to the original intent" sound.

Hit the mark on that one. I Own the 450 aswell & it sounds great but like you said instrument separation can be better. The 450's also isolate extremely well compared to other models I have. Once I turn the volume up to a respectable level you can barely hear anything around you & they do truely Mock audio equipments volume levels. If you care for volume controls get the Q460...but I personally wouldn't because the price difference between the 450 & 460 Comparing feature differences isnt worth it in my opinion.

Dec 28, 2010 at 10:32 AM Post #8 of 108

Thanks for the info. :)

I had found the info that the K480NC would sound better than the K450 on a different forum, perhaps even the AKG forum, by a guy who owned both. It was really the only comparison I could find.

However, I forgot to mention that he compared the two headphones while the Noice-cancellation feature on the K480NC was turned OFF.
Even if I would buy the K480NC I would probably never use the Noice-cancellation feature, or just on an airplane or in the car, but active Noice-cancellation defenitely doesn't count for me when it comes to buying new headphones. I'm just looking for the headphones with the best sound quality from this series by AKG, as all of the models are very affordable for the quality I think. (Mobility and durability are also important ofcourse, but I feel that these two should also be alright in this mini-series by AKG.)

Anyway my question is answered, thanks alot! :)
I think I might just pick up a set of K450, as I don't need the iPod controls, and although the lime-green Q460 looks amazing, I'm not going to pay double for the same sound.

Jan 22, 2011 at 3:03 AM Post #13 of 108
I just bought these, but I don't understand what the in-line remote does.  There are 3 buttons.  The middle one clearly is a pause/restate for the ipod function on my iphone.  What do the + and - buttons do?  They have no effect on the volume.

Jan 23, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #15 of 108
I am sure that it does one of two things:
Increase/decrease volume
Adjust playlist forward/backward

If it does neither, then which ipod do you have? You should read the fine print, as not all ipods are compatible with the buttons.

Edit: For the Denon AH-D510R buttons, here is the description.  There should be something similar for yours:
Inline Remote and Microphone
The AH-D510R headphones feature a convenient, three button inline remote. When used with a compatible iPod or iPhone, the remote gives you easy access to volume control and common playback functions, including play, pause, forward, and back. The remote also includes an integrated microphone that allows you to record voice memos with select iPhone or iPod models. These advanced functions are compatible with the iPhone 4GS, 3GS and iPod Touch (2nd generation). Remote-only function is supported by the iPod Shuffle (3rd generation).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back