AKG new N90Q
Jul 8, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #182 of 380
Compensated as in they take the average ear response and use it as reference, so a flat line on the graph would be more or less the same as it would be for a speaker response.
you can't really measure that way imo. Most measurements are helpful for a to b comparisons between equipment measured on the same set up. It would be helpful to see a measurement by the same people on a headphone most people know. Further, because we don't know if it was calibrated or what it was calibrated to, in addition to the many different modes it has built in. The data raises more questions than it answers to me.

Aug 21, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #183 of 380
They are really two different animals. The n90s have a very rich. Full low end. The highs are very well controlled. The bass is really strong and although you can control the eq with the left cup control ring I sometimes feel as though it is too much. I seem to like very neutral bass and it's probably not much over neutral. The n90 is a phenomenal all in one that would be hard to beat as a full size travel rig. My only real wish is that I could use an external amp with the on board processing. This is a pretty minor sticking point though. The nc is great and doesn't bother me like other NC systems seem too.

812 is more more suited for at gone use. Unbeatable comfort, great extension both High and low. I use the lyr with tubes fit a but more midrange at times. The 812 excels at clarity no matter what listening level. Even at low volume they have a great sound. Something only the hd800s have been able to match.

Thank you!!!

Aug 22, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #184 of 380
I personally think this is a terrible business decision by AKG. The price point puts it in a niche market of purist headphones which will shy away from the extra fluff.

That, or this is an intentionally low production headphone designed to make the new JBL Everest Headphones appear a better value, since they appear to use the same truenote tech and noise cancellation at a fraction of the price. And Bluetooth 4.1.

But come on that would be entirely too reasonable of a thing to think. It even has full eq with the app and also no a/d + d/a extra conversion with iPhones. It simply blings too little though.

Aug 22, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #185 of 380
Aug 22, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #186 of 380
But come on that would be entirely too reasonable of a thing to think. It even has full eq with the app and also no a/d + d/a extra conversion with iPhones. It simply blings too little though.

The Everest and the N90Qs are tremendously different and aimed at entirely different people. Harman knows that most people interested in the N90Qs have no interest in a consumer JBL headphone.

Aug 26, 2016 at 1:06 AM Post #187 of 380
If n90q becomes my "big" portable (airplanes, etc.), I wonder what a good "small" portable would be. K3003i is appealing, but no nc, and I'm not sure how well it isolates. Bose QC30? Is the k391nc a thing? 

If they're serious about the onboard DAC, I don't know why they ship two headphone jack cables and just one standard USB to micro-usb cable. standard usb-to-lightning adapters would be a byatch to have coming out of your phone—perhaps even for the duration of a flight. Given that Apple is likely ditching their headphone jack in September, it seems as though they could make a second cable standard (I can't find a micro-usb-to-lightning cable anywhere online, they might have to get a supplier to make them just for AKG). Certainly the reviews suggest that the digital connection is superior to analog, so this oversight is especially odd.

Perhaps a year from now, when and if we have lossless bluetooth, that would be the time for a revision. Ditching micro usb for USB-C would likewise be a welcome change. Hopefully micro-usb will be entirely dead by then, and there should always be a hardwired input method, for charging convenience if not for comfort. Bose has added adjustable noise cancellation to their QC30, and for $1500, that seems like another welcome element of customizability. If they're so fiddly with trunote and their three soundstages...

A leather-free option, as Audeze has done, would make purchasing one a pleasanter decision for a vegetarian like myself. (I'm putting off purchasing SR009 for the same reason). I know they have an external battery, but does the case itself also act as a charger? That would be an interesting way of facilitating battery life—being able to charge from (1) your device, (2) the external battery back, or (3) their case. If you're requiring power, it's kind of on you to make it easy for us.

Also, any word on how the NC compares to Bose QC20/25/30/35? 

Aug 31, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #188 of 380
  If n90q becomes my "big" portable (airplanes, etc.), I wonder what a good "small" portable would be. K3003i is appealing, but no nc, and I'm not sure how well it isolates. Bose QC30? Is the k391nc a thing? 

If they're serious about the onboard DAC, I don't know why they ship two headphone jack cables and just one standard USB to micro-usb cable. standard usb-to-lightning adapters would be a byatch to have coming out of your phone—perhaps even for the duration of a flight. Given that Apple is likely ditching their headphone jack in September, it seems as though they could make a second cable standard (I can't find a micro-usb-to-lightning cable anywhere online, they might have to get a supplier to make them just for AKG). Certainly the reviews suggest that the digital connection is superior to analog, so this oversight is especially odd.

Perhaps a year from now, when and if we have lossless bluetooth, that would be the time for a revision. Ditching micro usb for USB-C would likewise be a welcome change. Hopefully micro-usb will be entirely dead by then, and there should always be a hardwired input method, for charging convenience if not for comfort. Bose has added adjustable noise cancellation to their QC30, and for $1500, that seems like another welcome element of customizability. If they're so fiddly with trunote and their three soundstages...

A leather-free option, as Audeze has done, would make purchasing one a pleasanter decision for a vegetarian like myself. (I'm putting off purchasing SR009 for the same reason). I know they have an external battery, but does the case itself also act as a charger? That would be an interesting way of facilitating battery life—being able to charge from (1) your device, (2) the external battery back, or (3) their case. If you're requiring power, it's kind of on you to make it easy for us.

Also, any word on how the NC compares to Bose QC20/25/30/35? 

Here is what i know in response to your questions.

I like my k3003 A LOT, isolation is good, but NC is different. I'm not familiar with any NC IEMs so i can't comment on their capability.

The battery questions: The headphones have a pretty good battery life, but included is a separate power bank that fits perfectly into the hard case. The hard case is set-up so that you can plug your headphones into the battery back, and the battery pack into the case. The Case has a power port on the outside of it to enable you to charge the battery pack & headphones at the same time just by plugging in the case (as long as the inside is all hooked up),

I'm not a huge fan of the NC offered by Bose as it creates an uncomfortable "pressure" sensation at all times. The N90Qs seem a bit different where you can notice the NC is on when no music is playing but i don't find it bothersome at all & it is imperceptible during audio playback (for me). The effect of NC on people seems to vary wildly person to person. A demo beforehand is crucial for many purchases IMO.

Sep 1, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #189 of 380
  Here is what i know in response to your questions.

I like my k3003 A LOT, isolation is good, but NC is different. I'm not familiar with any NC IEMs so i can't comment on their capability.

The battery questions: The headphones have a pretty good battery life, but included is a separate power bank that fits perfectly into the hard case. The hard case is set-up so that you can plug your headphones into the battery back, and the battery pack into the case. The Case has a power port on the outside of it to enable you to charge the battery pack & headphones at the same time just by plugging in the case (as long as the inside is all hooked up),

I'm not a huge fan of the NC offered by Bose as it creates an uncomfortable "pressure" sensation at all times. The N90Qs seem a bit different where you can notice the NC is on when no music is playing but i don't find it bothersome at all & it is imperceptible during audio playback (for me). The effect of NC on people seems to vary wildly person to person. A demo beforehand is crucial for many purchases IMO.

In sheer terms of decibel reduction, how close to Bose does AKG get in its N90Q? The reviews I've seen (and there aren't enough) suggest that it's good, but falls somewhat short.

Sep 5, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #190 of 380

In sheer terms of decibel reduction, how close to Bose does AKG get in its N90Q? The reviews I've seen (and there aren't enough) suggest that it's good, but falls somewhat short.

I don't own any BOSE so i can't really compare them like that. Maybe some reviewer has done a ANC A/B

Sep 5, 2016 at 9:19 PM Post #192 of 380
Found one reviewer say they did not give Bose a :runner: for their :moneybag:Re anc, so likely will be going with lcdx until n90q gets usbc/lightning support, better anc, perhaps next generation lossless Bluetooth, and leather free option.

Edit: multibit would be a bonus. A really great iPhone app would merely be expected, ala EL8 titanium.

Sep 6, 2016 at 11:23 PM Post #193 of 380
  Now to find a place where I can listen to them would be quite interesting....

I'll be bringing mine to the next SE MI meet. 

Oct 14, 2016 at 9:57 AM Post #194 of 380
............... until n90q gets usbc/lightning support...................

Just for information, the N90Q is supported by iOS (and normally Android too) through USB.

I can confirm that the N90Q works with iOS through USB, but it requires these products :
-Lightning to USB adapter (http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD821AM/A/lightning-to-usb-camera-adapter).
-And for iPhone it requires a powered USB hub (not necessary with an iPad). Because iPhone can't deliver sufficient current to the N90Q (battery recharge).
But it works perfectly (iPhone --> Lightning to USB adapter --> powered USB hub --> N90Q). The N90Q is recognised as an external DAC (you can select it in the audio devices list (same list that AirPlay devices), and use it with most applications).

And normally for Android devices, it should works too. And for USB Type-C smartphones, you can just buy a USB Type-C --> Micro-USB cable.

Oct 15, 2016 at 10:46 PM Post #195 of 380

Just for information, the N90Q is supported by iOS (and normally Android too) through USB.

I can confirm that the N90Q works with iOS through USB, but it requires these products :
-Lightning to USB adapter (http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD821AM/A/lightning-to-usb-camera-adapter).
-And for iPhone it requires a powered USB hub (not necessary with an iPad). Because iPhone can't deliver sufficient current to the N90Q (battery recharge).
But it works perfectly (iPhone --> Lightning to USB adapter --> powered USB hub --> N90Q). The N90Q is recognised as an external DAC (you can select it in the audio devices list (same list that AirPlay devices), and use it with most applications).

And normally for Android devices, it should works too. And for USB Type-C smartphones, you can just buy a USB Type-C --> Micro-USB cable.

Even on a Plus sized iPhone? I have oodles of battery on my 6+. Is the N90Q designed automatically to charge battery whenever USB is plugged in? Would be nice to be able to turn charging on and off and just enjoy hifi USB sound without carrying around a powered USB hub. Between that and the camera adapter it sounds awful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back