AKG new N90Q
Jun 27, 2016 at 3:16 AM Post #169 of 380
  After messing with the surround modes, i think i agree with the other person who said they thought the 2.1 mode was the best. From my listening it seems this mode has the most natural bass presentation and allows the mix the "breath" in a way most closed back headphones don't allow.

I prefer the Studio (2.1) mode too.

In this mode the soundstage is wide and airy. And the sound seems more natural (like speakers in a treated room) than many open-back headphones : when I switch from the N90Q to an open-back, the open-back always disappoints me. In Standard mode (no DSP effect), the soundstage is like a normal closed-back headphone.

Sometimes (for movies), I use the Surround mode. It’s not a true discrete surround mode (like 7.1 DTS-HD, or 7.1 Dolby TrueHD). But it add a pleasant dimension to the sound for the audio effects.

Jul 2, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #172 of 380
  before, but true note doesn't seem to eliminate the 9kh peak according to the french site 'lesnumerique'

http://www.lesnumeriques.com/casque-audio/akg-n90q-p23387/test.html

Remember that you don't want a perfectly flat response on headphones. The 9k presence peak is important and necessary.  

Jul 3, 2016 at 10:36 PM Post #173 of 380
^ Since you apparently own both, how would you say the N90Q sounds compared to the K812?

Jul 4, 2016 at 5:50 AM Post #174 of 380

It's kind of hard to believe that these ugly-looking celebrity headphones are gonna cost 1300 dollars. They have to sound exceptionally good. The AKG was always famous for beautiful headphones like the K240 Sextett/K550/K701/K712/K812/K1000 but this one...

Exactly...

This one looks very ugly... it looks like it's from 70's sci-fi movie. 

What a design failure. I hope it sounds better than K812 which costs $899 now.

Jul 4, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #176 of 380
^ Since you apparently own both, how would you say the N90Q sounds compared to the K812?

They are really two different animals. The n90s have a very rich. Full low end. The highs are very well controlled. The bass is really strong and although you can control the eq with the left cup control ring I sometimes feel as though it is too much. I seem to like very neutral bass and it's probably not much over neutral. The n90 is a phenomenal all in one that would be hard to beat as a full size travel rig. My only real wish is that I could use an external amp with the on board processing. This is a pretty minor sticking point though. The nc is great and doesn't bother me like other NC systems seem too.

812 is more more suited for at gone use. Unbeatable comfort, great extension both High and low. I use the lyr with tubes fit a but more midrange at times. The 812 excels at clarity no matter what listening level. Even at low volume they have a great sound. Something only the hd800s have been able to match.

Jul 4, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #177 of 380
Jul 6, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #179 of 380
Compensated as in they take the average ear response and use it as reference, so a flat line on the graph would be more or less the same as it would be for a speaker response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back