AKG new N90Q
Jan 17, 2015 at 7:24 AM Post #16 of 380
This Quincy Jones line up is a joke. (my opinion)
Every products in this series I've heard sounds significantly inferior to the proper AKG counterparts. To be honest I know absolutely nothing about Quincy Jones and have no idea what he does. But this "signature" line up does nothing but ruin the AKG reputation.

To the contrary... The Q701 did improve in some aspects over the K702 is was derived from, with those changes flowing back into the non-labelled products (K702AE, K712, K7XX). And I think many actually prefer the voicing of the Q701 oder the K702... though nobody knows how much that has actually to do with Mr. Jones. I tend to think its not just renting his name for a label though...

While I'm not in favor of celebrity endorsement at least Quincy Jones should know what he's talking about... you might want to read up on that, I don't think partnering with him does affect AKGs reputation in a bad way (its not like doing a - sorry - tasteless Lady Gaga branding or something along those lines).

Coming back to the subject of this thread: If the only available color is gold... I'll pass, however good it may be. But the more I think about it, the less I like the idea of electronics actively correcting a drivers flaws (and thats what this kind of design comes down to for me). I know of active systems in PA that do this sort of things to stay clean at the highest output possible... that may be an interesting concept and extends what is possible given that the drivers are driven to their limits. For headphones I don't see this being the case... so I prefer feedback-control systems to stay out of the loop.

Jan 17, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #17 of 380
There is an all black version based on pictures. And the JBL professional line has an auto correcting set of speakers, so i assume it's very similarly implemented. I'm guessing it will either be a big hit or big flop with audiophiles,and as with most of these things, hearing them will clear up a lot of speculation,

Jan 17, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #18 of 380
That really doesn't sound or look too appealing. I could see them behaving very strangely when you move your head, etc. IMO, if the p none is designed properly and fits well, this should be totally unnecessary.

Jan 17, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #19 of 380
That really doesn't sound or look too appealing. I could see them behaving very strangely when you move your head, etc. IMO, if the p none is designed properly and fits well, this should be totally unnecessary.

the shape of your ear doesn't change when you turn your head, and they only re calibrate when you hit a button. Also, what is a "p none"?

Jan 17, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #20 of 380
phone as in headphone :headphones:

Jan 17, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #21 of 380
  the shape of your ear doesn't change when you turn your head, and they only re calibrate when you hit a button. Also, what is a "p none"?

I wouldn't necessarily agree that your ear position relative to the phone cup wouldn't change if you turn your head,so I would be concerned about how it would behave under those conditions, but if it requires hitting a button to recalibrate there should be no problem.  I'm still not a fan, don't like the added complexity and circuitry.

And yes, I meant to say "phone", made a typo and the auto spellchecker somehow came up with that.

Jan 17, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #22 of 380
  I wouldn't necessarily agree that your ear position relative to the phone cup wouldn't change if you turn your head,so I would be concerned about how it would behave under those conditions, but if it requires hitting a button to recalibrate there should be no problem.  I'm still not a fan, don't like the added complexity and circuitry.

And yes, I meant to say "phone", made a typo and the auto spellchecker somehow came up with that.

It wouldn't change more than any other headphone, and there doesn't seem to be a problem with any other phone on the market. Also, i can't believe i didn't see through that typo, kinda obvious now.

Jan 30, 2015 at 7:00 AM Post #23 of 380
Are these headphones AKG's brand new flagship model replacing the current K812 as this was actually asked on the K812 thread but speculated on only.

I've the hd800 headphones by Sennheiser and from what Ive read by other members, some prefer the K812 over the hd800 and vice versa so to speak but some say these two are more similar as they are different.

I think it would be really interesting to read comparisons between the N90Q, K812 and Hd800 too though :)

One thing I think though of the N90Q just by the video and photos is Im unsure I like the styling particularly and they look maybe heavy too?

Jan 30, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #24 of 380
Are these headphones AKG's brand new flagship model replacing the current K812 as this was actually asked on the K812 thread but speculated on only.

I've the hd800 headphones by Sennheiser and from what Ive read by other members, some prefer the K812 over the hd800 and vice versa so to speak but some say these two are more similar as they are different.

I think it would be really interesting to read comparisons between the N90Q, K812 and Hd800 too though :)

One thing I think though of the N90Q just by the video and photos is Im unsure I like the styling particularly and they look maybe heavy too?

Considering the fact that these were announced through AKG and not AKG professional I would assume no. I also think that AKG will keep an open backed phone as it's TOTL model.

Feb 19, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #25 of 380
In partnership with

http://www.coretechgroup.com

Regards from Austria

NOMAX

Feb 19, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #26 of 380
In partnership with

http://www.coretechgroup.com

Regards from Austria

NOMAX

NOMAX always finds it out first! Thanks for the info.

Apr 7, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #28 of 380
Looking forward to what other AKG cans this technology will make it into this year. Curious as to whether there will be any sort of app/plugin to hit the Harman Target curve with legacy cans.

Bill

Apr 7, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #29 of 380
This Quincy Jones line up is a joke. (my opinion)
Every products in this series I've heard sounds significantly inferior to the proper AKG counterparts. To be honest I know absolutely nothing about Quincy Jones and have no idea what he does. But this "signature" line up does nothing but ruin the AKG reputation.

"There are only 12 notes."
Inspiring words. I am totally enlightened.

Eh, he was producer for Michael Jackson's Thriller and quite honestly it ends there, he had short stint with Sinatra who I also cringe when I hear his music.  I never understood the adulation for him, and since not a Michael Jackson fan, couldn't care less about Quincy Jones.  Personally believe if it wasn't for success of Thriller, the general public wouldn't know who Quincy is, he'd just be another producer you wouldn't know unless you were in record business or paid attention to producers.  Do the public have any idea who is the producer for Taylor Swifts music?  Let's face it, Jackson was king of pop, he'd be today's America's Idol category.

He's also famous because he's been in constant law suits with Michael Jackson and his family suing for money. 

He has some of his own jazz albums.  Can youtube them, I'm underwhelmed by his music.

Anyway, couldn't tell you why AKG is obsessed with releasing headphones after him since the dude is old, and well old dudes have hearing loss, not impressed by hardware that have been designed with consultation with a man with hearing loss.  He's 82 years old and spent his life in the music industry, can't tell me he doesn't have horrendous tinnitus and hearing loss.

I deal with elderly patients 72 hours a week and I have to either speak loudly or sometimes yell at anyone over age of 75, generally, and these are folks who haven't been blasting their ears with headphones and speakers professionally for their entire career.

May 13, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #30 of 380
Er... pretty good resume: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quincy_Jones_production_discography#As_composer.2C_conductor.2C_arranger.2C_producer_on_other_artists.27_albums

Some of his solo stuff is quite good too, particularly fond of Walking in Space album and the Pawnbroker soundtrack: (don't think this youtube library vid is viewable in some countries, sorry :frowning2: )

Of course, none of that has anything to do with the quality of his branded headphones- these sure are some quirky high-tech looking things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back