AKG N40
Oct 3, 2020 at 9:48 PM Post #286 of 311
Does anyone's unit ever have this issue before? Any way to fix it? I've owned the AKG N40 for about 1.5 years but the metal thingy fell off all of a sudden. I don't think I can claim a warranty for this

Yes, it's happened to me too and at least two other people, see this post. There is no fix that I'm aware of.

I've moved onto the FiiO FH7 and I love them.

Oct 4, 2020 at 1:57 AM Post #287 of 311
Yes, it's happened to me too and at least two other people, see this post. There is no fix that I'm aware of.

I've moved onto the FiiO FH7 and I love them.
AKG's quality seems to be deteriorating. I've owned it for 1.5 years and I didn't even use it for almost half a year due to an ear pimple. Looks like I'm going to start researching new earphones. Any recommendations? Anything that sounds similar to the AKG N40 at around 350 USD?

Oct 8, 2020 at 4:41 AM Post #288 of 311
Last night I got a good deal on AKG N40 for 85 USD shipped, took it. I have the N30 and absolutely love it. I hope the N40 turns out even better. Got the N30 for 60 USD on discount.

Oct 13, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #290 of 311
Oct 13, 2020 at 2:58 PM Post #292 of 311
The 4 seemed to be of the same configuration as N40. Wonder if it sounds as good.

Oct 23, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #293 of 311
Anyone here tried the AKG N40 with Fiio FH5 and FH3? Which is better? I usually listen to hits, classics, Jpop and kpop.

Edit (11/11/2020): I just bought the Shure Aonic 4 and from my first impression, it could be better than the N40. The Aonic 4 sounds similar to the AKG N40 but the mid-bass (200-500hz) is more emphasized. The soundstage and minor detail is also better on the Aonic 4. I'll make a comparison between the N40 and the Aonic soon.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2020 at 11:03 PM Post #294 of 311
So I got the N40 yesterday, and going from N30, the sound is now much cleaner, with more controlled bass (which I love), but much hotter treble (which I hate). Now, I love bright sounding iem, but the N40 is just...hot! Trying, but failing to love them...

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2020 at 11:35 PM Post #295 of 311
So I got the N40 yesterday, and going from N30, the sound is got much cleaner, with more controlled bass (which I love), but much hotter treble (which I hate). Now, I love bright sounding iem, but the N40 is just...hot! Trying, but failing to love them...

It definitely took me a while to get used to them! I have found that running them with a 2.5mm balanced cable helps level everything out and remove some of that shrill. They were the first pair of IEMs I ever purchased (snagged them on sale for something like $90) so they’ve become a sort of old faithful to me.
But, when I started in the audiophile game, I was very much a dark/bassy headphone guy. I had a pair of Drop x Meze 99s which I thought were the epitome of quality audio and used regularly for several months. Went for a long time without using them, tried other things, got into IEMs, tastes evolved. Put them on just the other day and have them a listen and I thought to myself ‘how in the world could I have liked these??’ Ended up giving them to my brother who loves that bassy thump for video games. All of that to say, tastes do evolve/change. I wasn’t a huge fan of the N40s at first, but now I love them for clean and detailed presentation that has some space to it too. Plus, the light weight design is great for portability or working out.

Nov 17, 2020 at 11:51 PM Post #296 of 311
It definitely took me a while to get used to them! I have found that running them with a 2.5mm balanced cable helps level everything out and remove some of that shrill. They were the first pair of IEMs I ever purchased (snagged them on sale for something like $90) so they’ve become a sort of old faithful to me.
But, when I started in the audiophile game, I was very much a dark/bassy headphone guy. I had a pair of Drop x Meze 99s which I thought were the epitome of quality audio and used regularly for several months. Went for a long time without using them, tried other things, got into IEMs, tastes evolved. Put them on just the other day and have them a listen and I thought to myself ‘how in the world could I have liked these??’ Ended up giving them to my brother who loves that bassy thump for video games. All of that to say, tastes do evolve/change. I wasn’t a huge fan of the N40s at first, but now I love them for clean and detailed presentation that has some space to it too. Plus, the light weight design is great for portability or working out.
Yeah, may be changing cable would solve some of that shrill highs, but I don't have anything with 2.5 mm output. I think I'd rather try the reference filter, narrow bore tips, and a copper cable on N30 and dispose the N40. Can't argue that the Clean presentation of N40 is unrivaled at this price range, but I don't like to wince every time the cymbals crash.
Rather, Penon Orb gives me a more mature and complete listening experience.

Dec 1, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #297 of 311
So I got the N40 yesterday, and going from N30, the sound is now much cleaner, with more controlled bass (which I love), but much hotter treble (which I hate). Now, I love bright sounding iem, but the N40 is just...hot! Trying, but failing to love them...

Hell no. .... The N40 treble is not hot. You either have a rogue pair, or you don't have a seal in the ear. Even the high gain filters are said to be not hot, and just bring the presentation forward a bit.

With stock filters, I would say the N40 are neutral, and leaning full sounding.

Something is amiss.

Dec 1, 2020 at 10:59 PM Post #298 of 311
Hell no. .... The N40 treble is not hot. You either have a rogue pair, or you don't have a seal in the ear. Even the high gain filters are said to be not hot, and just bring the presentation forward a bit.

With stock filters, I would say the N40 are neutral, and leaning full sounding.

Something is amiss.
Really? Because mine is unbearably hot! I also read the reviews and nowhere it said that it is this much bright, whereas my pair is as bright like a sun, piercing upper mids and highs! It's not full sounding, somewhat lean, and I have a perfect seal. I am thinking about putting a bit of cotton into the bass filters.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2020 at 8:25 AM Post #299 of 311
Really? Because mine is unbearably hot! I also read the reviews and nowhere it said that it is this much bright, whereas my pair is as bright like a sun, piercing upper mids and highs! It's not full sounding, somewhat lean, and I have a perfect seal. I am thinking about putting a bit of cotton into the bass filters.

I think you should return them to your retailer.

Dec 2, 2020 at 10:56 PM Post #300 of 311

Users who are viewing this thread

Back