AKG N40
Aug 7, 2020 at 5:05 AM Post #271 of 311
By the way, I found a really effective way to clean the frequency filters.

They sometimes get gummed up. I have a 40 x magnifier lens so I can see exactly how they are. I take the filters off the earpiece, and then blow through them from behind. Any gunk gets pushed forward, so they need a wipe with some kitchen towel. Then do it again - blow them again, and then wipe. They come up crystal clean.

To blow through them I hold them tight between finger and thumb. Close mouth small, and hold the filter to my mouth. Then blow through hard from behind, and it pushes any gunk straight forward. Honestly two goes with wipes in between, will get them sparkling clean.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #272 of 311
By the way, I found a really effective way to clean the frequency filters.

They sometimes get gummed up. I have a 40 x magnifier lens so I can see exactly how they are. I take the filters off the earpiece, and then blow through them from behind. Any gunk gets pushed forward, so they need a wipe with some kitchen towel. Then do it again - blow them again, and then wipe. They come up crystal clean.

To blow through them I hold them tight between finger and thumb. Close mouth small, and hold the filter to my mouth. Then blow through hard from behind, and it pushes any gunk straight forward. Honestly two goes with wipes in between, will get them sparkling clean.
this sounds like a good job for a can of compressed air...

Aug 21, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #276 of 311
Anyone here has compared the AKG N40 with the Sony IER-M9 or M7? Which one would you recommend?
I have tried the M9 once at a headphone store, and i think M9 is thicker, slightly warmer than N40, perhaps M9 has more mid-bass. N40 also has less bass quantity. N40 has better treble extension. About technicalities (soundstage, imagine,...), i do not have enough time to compare it head to head, but i do think there are not big diffrences between them. M9 has a kind of "DD timbre", though it does not have a DD like N40, make them sound a little thick as i said above.

Anw, i am finding a better tip than RHA's tips, and the stock one as well, for my N40. I found the RHA's ear tips are better than the stock, but slightly bad on isolation. Does anyone try spinfit or comply foam on this? Which tips are the best sound?

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2020 at 4:31 AM Post #277 of 311
I agree with your observations. I prefer the N40 over the thicker sound of the M9. I have the N40 some years back and I still rate it pretty highly for its sound and comfort.

Aug 25, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #278 of 311
Anw, i am finding a better tip than RHA's tips, and the stock one as well, for my N40. I found the RHA's ear tips are better than the stock, but slightly bad on isolation. Does anyone try spinfit or comply foam on this? Which tips are the best sound?
i use the comply tips. super comfortable with excellent isolation; i love the sound. tried the spiral dots and just don’t like the fit, feel, and lack of isolation, though they probably exaggerate the bass a bit less than the comply.

btw, how often have people found it necessary to clean the filters anyway? i was considering using a mild threadlocker to fasten the reference filters in place more securely, but obviously don’t want to do so if they truly require routine cleaning.

Sep 1, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #279 of 311
i use the comply tips. super comfortable with excellent isolation; i love the sound. tried the spiral dots and just don’t like the fit, feel, and lack of isolation, though they probably exaggerate the bass a bit less than the comply.

btw, how often have people found it necessary to clean the filters anyway? i was considering using a mild threadlocker to fasten the reference filters in place more securely, but obviously don’t want to do so if they truly require routine cleaning.

My post at the top of the page says the best way I found to clean the filters. Does a 'looks like new' job, even under 40x magnification.

Oct 3, 2020 at 5:28 AM Post #281 of 311
Does anyone's unit ever have this issue before? Any way to fix it? I've owned the AKG N40 for about 1.5 years but the metal thingy fell off all of a sudden. I don't think I can claim a warranty for this
1601717315484.png

Oct 3, 2020 at 9:39 AM Post #282 of 311
Does anyone's unit ever have this issue before? Any way to fix it? I've owned the AKG N40 for about 1.5 years but the metal thingy fell off all of a sudden. I don't think I can claim a warranty for this

Looks like a quality issue to me. Here in the EU this certainly could be a warranty case. Could be that Malaysian consumer law differs.
If you want to fix it yourself I would try to glue it back in place. Never seen this part come loose as far as I can remember.

Oct 3, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #283 of 311
But I already got it for 1 year, I don't think I can claim warranty sadly. I managed to put it back but everytime I remove the earphone from my ear it falls off. The sound quality sounds slightly worse compared to the right pair.😞 What do you think I should do?

Oct 3, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #284 of 311
Is the tube indeed glued? Can you see any remains from the original glue? Or is attached differently?
If glued, I'd take some super glue which can glue plastic and metal. I've seen some with a small application brush, that's probably a good thing to have.

Oct 3, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #285 of 311
Is the tube indeed glued? Can you see any remains from the original glue? Or is attached differently?
If glued, I'd take some super glue which can glue plastic and metal. I've seen some with a small application brush, that's probably a good thing to have.
I don't think it's attached by glue. My previous experience fixing electronics with super glue never ended well. Also, I managed to put the cover back in but it will pop out every time when I remove the ear tips. The sound quality is slightly worse compared to the right bud. If AKG doesn't decide to fix it for me, any earphone options similar to the AKG N40 in terms of sound quality?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back