AKG N40
Jul 14, 2017 at 8:36 AM Post #77 of 311
Don't Know. It's distortion specs are insane though, almost equivalent to the Mojo.

Jul 14, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #78 of 311
Yeah pushing the N40 is easy, it's pairing it with a good source that is the benefit. Out of my phone is meh, out of the Opus#1 with balanced cable it's awesome

Jul 15, 2017 at 3:20 AM Post #79 of 311
i toyed yesterday with the myryad z40. lo gain on the amp is perfectly fine, 1/3 volume pushes the n40 to almost uncomfortable levels. soundstage, bass response and clarity improved a lot compared to the sound i get out of my phone. bass drum hits are a lot tighter, and cymbals are more realistic via the z40 with my metal tracks. also, male vocals are a bit more forward. n40 sounds warm, not tiring at all, with a slight upper bass bump, with creamy, silky smooth highs. it _is a colored sound without a doubt, i wouldn't call it analytical by any means. it wouldn't please everyone, but i simply love it.

Jul 16, 2017 at 6:38 AM Post #80 of 311
@TwinACStacks
or any kind person who heard both (akg n40 and musicmaker shockwave III / 3).

Hi, if you can help me, i like to know if sound signature and difference bewteen akg n40 and sw3.

my friend was wowed by the n40 and I'm wondering if he should get a sw3 instead due to durability (perceived, full metal body and removable cable) and price. he broke the akg k375 which i gave him on his birthday in 6 month. I haven't seen the broken earphone but he told me "the nozzle broke". I was like how the hell he does that (shocked as k375 look pretty durable to me)??? i know they would be different, but i hope they are close enough to recommend.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2017 at 7:49 AM Post #81 of 311
http://headflux.de/akg-n40/

Oh yeah 1 more thing, can someone confirm the the sound signature of the n40 similar to the graph of the above website? i haven't seen a graph like this, full linear increase from vocal to sub bass (so straight and smooth?), and no usually anti-sibilant dip around the 2khz to 4khz. the stagediver 2 graph use to compare looks more or less legit (with compensation).

the bass according to the graph the bass look so nice, bass transition is like super smooth. puzzled if the no upper mid dip will be too hot for people? if the graph is legit, i will move my lazy ass to audition 1 in the shop.

Jul 16, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #82 of 311
It's super legit. Well, of course I say it is since I actually did that measurement :D

All jokes aside: it was performed on a veritas that is calibrate to be comparableto IEC 60318/711 measurements. If you compare e.g. the StageDiver 2 measurement to innerfidelity's results (gray curves) you will see that the results are very, very similar.
Please keep in mind that the results are not compensated to any standard. Therefore a bump of a few dB (let's say maybe about 10dB) between 2-4kHz is actually neutral.

Jul 16, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #83 of 311
It's super legit. Well, of course I say it is since I actually did that measurement :D

All jokes aside: it was performed on a veritas that is calibrate to be comparableto IEC 60318/711 measurements. If you compare e.g. the StageDiver 2 measurement to innerfidelity's results (gray curves) you will see that the results are very, very similar.
Please keep in mind that the results are not compensated to any standard. Therefore a bump of a few dB (let's say maybe about 10dB) between 2-4kHz is actually neutral.

Thanks for the fast reply. You got a very nice review on the n40 which is quite detailed. it a pity that google translate cannot totally bridge the difference in languages still quite a bit of thing I can't make out. fortunately, the graph with the magic word "not compensated" helps me understand the sound signature. if the graph is compensated it should be super sibilant but its not. I think the sound signature of n40 should be very close to ath-e70, boosted bass (n40 should have more bass) and slightly dark/or warm (which ever you like to call it).

I think lachlan seem to have a love-hate relation with dark signature kind of earphone (assumption). he buys them, ath-e70 and n40 (why in the first place? i wonder), which he doesn't seem to like then sell them.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #84 of 311
http://headflux.de/akg-n40/

Oh yeah 1 more thing, can someone confirm the the sound signature of the n40 similar to the graph of the above website? i haven't seen a graph like this, full linear increase from vocal to sub bass (so straight and smooth?), and no usually anti-sibilant dip around the 2khz to 4khz. the stagediver 2 graph use to compare looks more or less legit (with compensation).

the bass according to the graph the bass look so nice, bass transition is like super smooth. puzzled if the no upper mid dip will be too hot for people? if the graph is legit, i will move my lazy ass to audition 1 in the shop.
I don't know about the graph, but the N40 is quite a bit better than the PEOPLE that gave that review. It's polar opposite to every other review I've read, and my own personal opinion.. they obviously have it in for AKG. Sorry I wasted my time translating it.

TWIN

Jul 16, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #85 of 311
You got a very nice review on the n40 which is quite detailed. it a pity that google translate cannot totally bridge the difference in languages still quite a bit of thing I can't make out.
I'm happy to hear the review was useful for you despite being the "wrong" language.

It's polar opposite to every other review I've read, and my own personal opinion.. they obviously have it in for AKG.
I don't have it in for AKG neither anyone of our authors does.

Jul 16, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #86 of 311
Opinions differ. It's the Only semi-negative review I have read so far. With proper seal it has some of the tightest bass, for a dynamic driver, (which I personally prefer for bass reproduction over a B/A), I have heard on any Iem. Maybe you should read the What HiFi? Review or Headphonia's amoung others. Glowing reviews,and also my experience. But sound is subjective. This Iem is second only to my planar magnetic iSines. Even then, the N40 has the most unique sound stage I have ever heard, allowing a total "out of head" listening experience.

JMHO

TWIN

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2017 at 12:40 AM Post #87 of 311
Reviews are always helpful. Despite that, people need to understand not to only take face value of the reviews due to reviewer's bias and prejudices. unless you know for certain his sound signature and sonic preferences are close to your (at times it might be just pure assumption so be careful too). It is not wrong for reviewers to point at what they dislike but that at times do undue damage to it reputation.

it is utmost important for users to find/understand their favorite sound signature and sonic preferences. key is be objective and not just a fan boy to reviews/reviewers. some simplified explanation for so: a basshead reviewer would more certainly not likely to give a good review to a low bass earphone (even if it is good). or a purist wouldn't like a super colored earphone. Technicality of the earphone sometime it not so important. It is like how i love my creative aurvana in-ear3, technically the worse of my small collection but at times i still take it out to listen to. the creative aurvana in-ear3 technically is pretty limped the bass sounded like hitting wet towels and the micro details are not there in the mids and highs. i still love how the vocal sound are so forward and how they sounded on it (just simplified description).

@TwinACStacks
or any kind person who heard both (akg n40 and musicmaker shockwave III / 3).

Hi, if you can help me, i like to know if sound signature and difference bewteen akg n40 and sw3.

my friend was wowed by the n40 and I'm wondering if he should get a sw3 instead due to durability (perceived, full metal body and removable cable) and price. he broke the akg k375 which i gave him on his birthday in 6 month. I haven't seen the broken earphone but he told me "the nozzle broke". I was like how the hell he does that (shocked as k375 look pretty durable to me)??? i know they would be different, but i hope they are close enough to recommend.

Thank you.

@TwinACStacks would appreciate you input on my earlier question.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2017 at 1:11 AM Post #88 of 311
The n40 is more listenable and a more pleasing Iem overall, it is not as analytical as the SW3.

TWIN

Jul 26, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #90 of 311
The babies have arrived yaaayyy

Attachments

• 1501077062975910273969.jpg
    1501077062975910273969.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back