AKG N40
Sep 12, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #16 of 311
Sub

Nov 7, 2016 at 5:19 AM Post #19 of 311
I've tried AKG N40 last evening during audio video show 2016 in Warsaw. Though I had only ~20minutes for testing I can say that I'm very, very positively surprised by the SQ.

It is almost, almost IE800 and differences are so miniscule that the price difference says BUY THEM - and I say this as a proud and loving IE800 owner.

One thing though: I was testing them with Mojo, they may sound quite differently straight out of mobile phone jack - What HiFi review says that they need good source and may sound sibilant without it. Whats also surprising is that they've sounded so good even before burn-in as this was new pair just unboxed in front of me (nice packaging and addons BTW).

Anyway, I can see why they stole from IE800 the WhatHiFi award for that category.

I need to listen to them once again in better conditions.

(BTW out of pure curiosity I've tried Momentum M2 in-ear and I have to admit that I understand why they have also been awarded - just outstanding performance/price ratio. Ill be getting a pair as a backup phones)

Nov 21, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #21 of 311
Just bought a pair yesterday. Overall very warm sounding. More bass than my old Westone 4r, AKG k701.

Good clarity but not as exact or quick sounding as those 2 but better clarity than my Vmoda Vibes.

I compared this to Onkyo e900 at the store and preferred the akg for looks, comfort and sound. But I may have botched the fit.

I've only spent about 1 hour listening but they seem broken in. Not hard or fatiguing at all. I have the reference filters on and it seems as if all bass/mid/high spikes have been softened somewhat.

Nov 22, 2016 at 4:31 AM Post #25 of 311
Thanks I have the E700M and it is the best IEM I bought this year. Can you elaborate a bit why you chose N40 over the E900?

I felt it was on the harsh and jangly side plus it looked all sparkly with the gold bits and I got turned off.

But again, I likely didn't put it on right.

I also found the N40s as being the most mellow or warm sounding. Great for long sessions, which I couldn't do with my Westone which are very mid/high focused.

I listen to mostly rock/metal/guitar music which has a TON of mids with a lot of cymbal hits so it can definitely get tiring after a while.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Nov 24, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #26 of 311
I tried the High biased filters and the recordings definitely seem to have more sizzle or sparkle.

Didn't expect to notice any difference. Thought it was just a gimmick.

Jan 6, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #27 of 311
Man, what a HUGE difference an amp makes.

These are EASILY the best phones I've ever heard. Granted, I haven't listened to $1000 and up phones, but still...

I'm just using a FiiO e6 so I can imagine the sound from a proper amp.

These should come with an amp or at least a low power warning.

Jan 8, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #30 of 311
These were just recently released. They will get the appreciation they deserve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back