AKG N40
Jan 8, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #31 of 311
I'm surprised these aren't more popular.

I think it's because they're maybe not as lively sounding on regular cellphones. And most buyers these days are listening on their phones.

I mean, even my 1st gen Vmoda Vibe sounds more lively with my phone.

Amped or with a strong source tho, no contest.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Jan 14, 2017 at 6:15 AM Post #32 of 311
Here in Germany & Austria we currently have a n40 tour in hifi forum. my opinions on the N40: an excellent in ear with excellent quality. fun also coordinated with the reference filter.
I do not believe in burn-in but i had the feeling after several hours of listen only showed the strength of the n40.
A IEM made for mobile audio enjoyment, but of course also for the home is a good choice

Apr 3, 2017 at 4:15 AM Post #35 of 311
Wonder why there isn't too many people talking about these IEMs.

Just got these about a month ago. Amazing sound but you need a decent phone/amp to drive these to their full capabilities.
The iPhone (SE and the 7) does well in that respect and the Xperia XZ performs terribly with these!

Apr 3, 2017 at 4:40 AM Post #36 of 311
  Wonder why there isn't too many people talking about these IEMs.

Just got these about a month ago. Amazing sound but you need a decent phone/amp to drive these to their full capabilities.
The iPhone (SE and the 7) does well in that respect and the Xperia XZ performs terribly with these!

I considered them before but there has been almost no impressions... Could you compare them to other IEMs that you have and/or write your impressions?

Apr 3, 2017 at 5:26 AM Post #37 of 311
  I considered them before but there has been almost no impressions... Could you compare them to other IEMs that you have and/or write your impressions?

Well, I am a rookie at writing impressions but here you go:

I have generally been using Sonys quite a lot due to their widespread availability in and around Singapore. I have been using the Sony XBA-Z5 for over a year now and absolutely love them. So please excuse me if my sound impressions are biased (I prefer a slightly warmer sound signature). 

However, I was quite intrigued by and compelled to listen to the Shure 846s by one of my friend and I went on to try them.
As luck would have it, the retailer had the N40s in stock and I wanted to listen. I also had the WM1A on hand to try out so it was a blessing in disguise.

My first impression was the build quality and the packaging. The unboxing experience is super premium (probably more so than the Z5s) and they come with 4 sizes of stock tips which are fantastic. 

They also come with sound 'filters' and come pre-fitted with the 'reference' sounding one. Also supplied are a bass-heavy and another filter which enhances the highs. 

I loved the reference sounding filter and that became my choice although the filter that enhances the highs is also quite good.

The mid-bass on these is tremendous. It is also slightly uncontrolled especially if you listen to it from a poor source. 
The sub-bass is quite good although not XBA-Z5 level good but the focus is on mid-bass and mids in general.
The highs are subdued well in the sense that they aren't piercing but rather pleasant. 

If you listen from a good-great source or with a suitable amp, the sound is refined further. The mid bass is controlled and the highs get clear-er. I loved the sound of these with my WM1A.

Comfort wise, I would rate these 9/10 as they fit extremely well and at no point is the cable under pressure.
They are also built well. You get two cables in the box: one with a inline mic and one without. 

Compared to the Z5, I'd say these are better value for money. The Sonys are amazing in their own right but the fit and isolation are poorer compared to these.

If you are intending to purchase these, I would highly recommend you try these with all the sources that you have and then decide. 

Hope this helps :)

Apr 18, 2017 at 1:18 AM Post #38 of 311
Tried the N40 with reference filter (S$513) side by side with the Sony XBA-N3 (S$400), XBA-Z5 (S$800), and iBasso IT03 (S$380). All hybrids, in case you didn't pick up on the trend.
N40, for me personally, was the clear winner in terms of sound. Really liked the clear yet smooth representation in mid-range and treble. Bass admitedly isn't the most resolving in the world (specifically when comparing to the XBA-Z5), and sub-bass is slightly rolled-off compared to mid-bass hump, but bass certainly is punchy and controlled overall. This is especially apparent when comparing to the XBA-N3's somewhat wooly bass and the IT03's thumpy mid-bass hump.
However, I don't think the N40 will ever be for me. For one, the price is a little prohibitive. Isolation, along with the XBA-Z5, is also the worst of the bunch. The XBA-N3's isolation is fair, and the IT03 has extremely strong isolation, though must keep in mind the sound on the IT03 is also the most aggressive (somewhat U-shaped).
Overall, I do like what hybrids have to offer, and I really loved the N40's sound. That said, might consider the IT03 more since I'll generally only use IEMs while on-the-go, and the N40's poor isolation would mean I personally would either be miserable with a low volume, or deaf with my eardrums burst in. If I'm considering an IEM upgrade in the near future, I'd have to sadly ignore the N40 based on isolation alone, and the high price helps me convince myself as well.
Also, one note: has anyone noted that the N40 kind of sounds similar to the Fostex T50RP Mk 3 with more mid-bass? A bit of a strange comparison, but that was my immediate impression. The Fostex, barring price of DAC and/or amps, is also significantly cheaper at just under half the N40's price in Singapore. Just throwing it out there.

Apr 25, 2017 at 7:02 AM Post #39 of 311
cool.gif
:ksc75smile: I have had the N40 for about a month now. They pretty much have determined that every other IEM I currently own , have owned in the Past, or have Auditioned in Recent memory are rendered OBSOLETE.

If Ever the Sound of an IEM was TAILORED to my preference in Sound or the Audiophile within me this is THE ONE. It has it all. K3003i? been there Done that, It slays the "Flagship" big brother outright. Senn IE8? not Even close. Nothing I currently own in fact comes close even The 5 Driver ORIGINAL SWIII.

There are a couple of Caveats though. I hate the stock Cable, Memory wire thing. Replaced them with a Braided solid Silver. The Fitment is Peculiar. You can Over-insert them believe it or not. There is a sweet spot that you have to adjust for. They sound best with the Stock Tips but alas they are not a normal Shape like a Mushroom. The Skirt is extended so that they almost approach a semi-circular Shape. I ordered some replacement backups from AKG. The last Nitpik is also personal preference, they are designed for Over-Ear wear only. I wish they were convertible as I dislike over-ear.

I simply cannot figure out HOW they got this sound out of a 2-driver Hybrid. The sound stage is uncanny. Normally you are presented with a sound stage that has dimension Height, width,and Depth. Your instruments are placed in front or to the sides within this context. Some sound as if you are intimate Front Row some further Back.

Forget about this. I get an absolute OUT of HEAD experience with these, Particularly with Electronica like Infected Mushroom. The Sound stage is like a Black infinite Space and the Different instrument placements and directionals float within and can come at you from any direction even from the Back of your head forward. It's simply something I can't describe but for myself it is uncanny and well.... JUST PERFECT.

The only other IEM that I have some recent Experience with that might rival the N40 but in a totally different sound category are the Audeze isine 20 which I had the opportunity to audition last Saturday at a local Audio Shop. The Planars are VERY good. I'm on the fence about buying these yet.

Keep in mind I am using quality music files and excellent mid--fi sources with amping. This is an absolute must to get the kind of performance these Iems are capable of out of them. The better the input the better the output, at least with the N40.

YMMV

I will just have to be content with the N40.

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
:sunglasses::sunglasses: TWIN

Last edited:
May 1, 2017 at 4:46 AM Post #40 of 311
Gonna try these on my rooted LG V10 with a volume mod. A V10 can drive the K7XXs to a ear splitting volume so hoping that the N40s will fair well at just 20ohms.

Hi, I have an LG V10 and am considering the AKG N40s or the on ear beyerdynamic DT1350s. Do you mind letting me know how was your experience with the N40s and the LG V10 please?

May 1, 2017 at 6:26 AM Post #41 of 311
Sorry I don't use Cellphones as a Music source. They simply aren't up to par sonically or power-wise (IMHO) with a Mid or High end DAP/DAC. My understanding is however that the V10 has a better than average audio output section but most likely it will need auxiliary amplification to have enough power for the N40 to sound their best.

TWIN

Last edited:
May 3, 2017 at 11:56 PM Post #42 of 311
Twin has been talking about these with me over the past month or two and I finally gave in and got a used but basically brand new pair off ebay for $275. Just received about an hour ago and I'm really enjoying them. Using straight from my Opus #1 and using with a silver plated 4 core balanced cable

Last edited:
May 5, 2017 at 6:49 AM Post #43 of 311
So, How you liking these so far Lurk?

TWIN

May 5, 2017 at 11:58 PM Post #45 of 311
Just bought a pair myself. Looking forward to listening to them after some of the comments and reviews.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back