Akg n30 / n40
Sep 10, 2020 at 12:36 AM Post #31 of 42
Thank you.
The Shure SE425 is very accurate but its lack of bass is a known weakness. The AKG N30 has a lot more bass than the Shure SE425. I have just installed the "bass tips". The bass is slightly stronger with the change. The sound is not bass heavy but compared to the SE425, which is very critical, it is fuller (more complete?). I use the Shure with its bluetooth cable BT-2 used with my phone. The AKG N30 is used with the xDuoo XD-05, low gain setting and connected to the xDuoo X10Tii (turntable) using optical input. The bottom line is: the AKG N30 is a pretty good IEM. Testing tracks include I feel Love (Donna Summers), iBasso Test Disc (men's bass vocal singer Zhao Phang), One Moment In time (Dana Winner) and No Wicked Grin (John Hiatt) just to name a few. I don't write reviews of my "audio" equipment. I just used the to listen to music, it's a feeling. My apology if I don't make much sense.
Thank you. I would not bother you with unnecessary questions, but if you can answer this, I'll appreciate that a lot: Between SE425 and N30, on which you feel the sound is coming from a much open space?

Sep 10, 2020 at 9:46 AM Post #32 of 42
Thank you.

Thank you. I would not bother you with unnecessary questions, but if you can answer this, I'll appreciate that a lot: Between SE425 and N30, on which you feel the sound is coming from a much open space?
The AKG N30 has a wider sound stage than the Shure SE425. The "feeling" I get from the SE425 is one of very clear mid and high notes, very good for classical music like Chopin Nocturnes (by Francois Chaplin). When listening to the same album using the AKG N30, it's a different "feeling", not as intimate. However, Donna Summers "I feel Love" (released in 1995) sounded a lot "fuller" on the AKG N30 than the SE425.

Sep 10, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #33 of 42
The AKG N30 has a wider sound stage than the Shure SE425. The "feeling" I get from the SE425 is one of very clear mid and high notes, very good for classical music like Chopin Nocturnes (by Francois Chaplin). When listening to the same album using the AKG N30, it's a different "feeling", not as intimate. However, Donna Summers "I feel Love" (released in 1995) sounded a lot "fuller" on the AKG N30 than the SE425.
Brilliant! That's a brilliant description right there! Thank you a lot, now I'm all the more hyped to get it!

Oct 28, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #36 of 42
It's very easy to drive, impedance is 32 ohms. Construction is first class (though it is made in China). Sound is excellent. Here in the USA it is on clearance at US$59.99 (an unbelievable price!), making it a superb buy. I use it with my LG V40 Thinq aa well as an LG G6+.

Oct 28, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #37 of 42
It's very easy to drive, impedance is 32 ohms. Construction is first class (though it is made in China). Sound is excellent. Here in the USA it is on clearance at US$59.99 (an unbelievable price!), making it a superb buy. I use it with my LG V40 Thinq aa well as an LG G6+.
Thank you for your quick reply. Where I live it isnt as cheap as that, it's $110. Is that still a good deal? Because I can't spend too much and that's the roof of my budget. Other possible options include: 1more quad driver, moondrop starfield and some chi-fi brands

Oct 29, 2020 at 12:38 AM Post #38 of 42
Thank you for your quick reply. Where I live it isnt as cheap as that, it's $110. Is that still a good deal? Because I can't spend too much and that's the roof of my budget. Other possible options include: 1more quad driver, moondrop starfield and some chi-fi brands
Yep, it's still a no-brainer for $110. I'd hve bought it eyes closed at that price also. It's very very good under $200, so go for it.

Oct 29, 2020 at 12:41 AM Post #39 of 42
Does anyone know whether the n30 is hard to drive? I don't have an amp yet so I would be using my phone. For dac I'm fine because I've got a 32 bit 384khz dac
It's above average. Sometimes I have to push to 70% volume on my phone (Samsung Galaxy J6, old, lower midrange phone, nothing as powerful as LG V or G series) to get satisfactory output, while on others I can listen on 40%-50% volume.

Oct 29, 2020 at 12:43 AM Post #40 of 42
Another concern is the look and build. I haven't seen one in real life yet, and from the pictures it looks fairly bland, like some 20 bucks earbuds. Do they feel like their price? Or should I go for some flashier chi fi iems instead?
Honestly, I love their looks. I'm tired of the chi-fi looks, and N30 is a welcome change to that, feels quite premium TBH.

Oct 29, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #41 of 42
The AKG N30 is made in China but it is manufactured to a higher quality standard. I also have the AKG N60 Bluetooth headphones which I used when traveling and to listen to TV using the bluetooth feature. It's a very well made and I have it for > 3 years. It's used daily. AKG made decent headphones so you need not worry about it, just enjoy your new earphones. Btw, I did burn-in the earphones. Happy listening!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back