AKG N20 iem
Nov 26, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #76 of 90
Hmmmm that's a tough one. The QC20 has amazing ANC but only average sound quality. The N20 has much higher sound quality but at the sacrifice of isolation. If I could only choose from those 2 I would go N20 because I just found the QC20 to safe (bland) for my tastes. If your bus/trains are really loud though you might need to go the other direction or find a better isolating versus noise cancelling IEM.

Dec 6, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #77 of 90
Would you recommend focal sphear or the akg n20 for genres like modern rock, classic rock, metal and also electronic music like edm and house. Which of the 2 earphones would fit in these genres of music or is in general a better alrounder? having clear sound and good bass

Jan 18, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #78 of 90
I listened to the Focal Sphere about a year ago through a Dragonfly and Jitterbug with 96/24 and 192/24 files. After about 5 seconds of listening, I took them off and handed them back to my friend. My comment was 'these are designed for consumers, not audiophiles'. The bass and midbass was exaggerated and bloated. The driver likely has a moderate to high Q to boost energy production in the lower frequency range.

I subsequently bought a set of AKG K712. I know, not the same at all, but in terms of accuracy, light years ahead. Bass is crisp and detailed with amazing attack. If i am looking for some 'boom', I can apply a little EQ and not loose any control and dynamics.

I am more than intrigued by the reviews of the N20 - it sounds like they have a similar balance to the 712's, so might be a good solution for use while travelling. I'll contact my distributor and order up a set. We'll see what AKG has to offer.

Mar 25, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #80 of 90
@dweaver Thank you for comparing AKG-N20 with Focal Sphear. Now I'm leaning towards AKG-N20 due to having volume buttons and a straight shaped jack. Do Comply tips help a lot for N20 if you want to have noise isolation?

Mar 25, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #81 of 90
I am not sure as I generally don't use comply but when I am back home (next week) I will give that a try. Comply might add a bit more bass too :)

Mar 25, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #82 of 90
What about the N25? Anybody interested in those?

Jun 16, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #84 of 90
I have the N40 and they are ridiculously good. Even better than the k3003i They are on the level of my Audeze iSine 10.

No Joke.

JMHO

TWIN

Jun 20, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #87 of 90
never mind, wrong thread

Aug 7, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #88 of 90
Deleted; solved my problem 4 months later.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2019 at 5:18 PM Post #90 of 90
Managed to pick up an N20 (1st one) used on eBay for under £9, perfect condition, box and all. Absolutely love them. Bass is an enigma though... can be overly soft one minute then has great thump and some soft rumble the next. Very good detail levels and great soundstage for classical, orchestra or well-mastered tracks. Treble is very tastefully done and just perfect for my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back