AKG N20 iem
Nov 17, 2015 at 1:35 AM Post #18 of 90
Not yet - I've been mostly evaluating the beyer iDX 160 IM over the past week.

They do, however, come out to play today.

I can answer a couple of your questions already though. I'll probably never know how they are for classical as I never listen to classical through portables, and I'll not be able to comment on the external amp thing as I just don't buy into external amps for portable use - I already carry enough tech rubbish with me as it is.

I'm having a Beyerdynamic DX 160 currently and this piece is good for basshead, bass is tight and punchy, but obviously lacks of treble.

Now I'm changing to soft music style and interested in the AKG N20, what's your thought about it? is it good for acoustics or classical? this earpiece is kinda new so it's hard to find any review about it...

Nov 18, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #19 of 90
OK, my brief experiment with IEMs is now over for the year. I simply bought into IEMs because it was so hot over the summer that wearing headphones was not an option.

I bought 3 circa $100 IEMs which were Sennheiser CX 5.00, Beyer DX160, and the AKG N20.

I listen to and produce, as a hobby, DnB and Psytrance. So my thoughts are really based on EDM genres.

I will say that none of them came even remotely close to the quality of my HD25s, let alone that of the DT1350s that are my mainstay on ear headphones.

Basically the N20 came out worst. Despite my musical leanings I don't consider myself a basshead - hell I mix on Q701s and Dt880s when headphones are called for, and these headphones are flat.

The problem that I had with the N20 is that the lower midrange is missing in action, and that the treble is very forward. The bass is detailed and goes deep, and is tight, but is recessed.

Out of all 3 IEMs that I tried the beyer DX160 was my preferred choice, but that lacked treble. The CX 5.00 had more treble but sounded rather synthetic.

The N20 my be for you, depending on your choice of music, but for me I found it too harsh in the upper registers, and lacking the midrange to make it what I would consider a good IEM.

Dec 9, 2015 at 7:48 PM Post #20 of 90
Now you've got me interested. WIthout derailing this thread too much what is it you find about the CX 1.00 that betters the CX 5.00?

By the way the N20 and the iDX 160 IE were purely impulse buys - I won't lose sleep over it if they turn out to be rubbish.

Edited to add - I'm not expecting the hyped "reference class" description from the N20 as the 130 bucks or so I paid for them does not put them in the high end category.
Not in price maybe as they are probably made in China, but they could be great nonethless

Dec 9, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #21 of 90
OK, my brief experiment with IEMs is now over for the year. I simply bought into IEMs because it was so hot over the summer that wearing headphones was not an option.

I bought 3 circa $100 IEMs which were Sennheiser CX 5.00, Beyer DX160, and the AKG N20.

I listen to and produce, as a hobby, DnB and Psytrance. So my thoughts are really based on EDM genres.

I will say that none of them came even remotely close to the quality of my HD25s, let alone that of the DT1350s that are my mainstay on ear headphones.

Basically the N20 came out worst. Despite my musical leanings I don't consider myself a basshead - hell I mix on Q701s and Dt880s when headphones are called for, and these headphones are flat.

The problem that I had with the N20 is that the lower midrange is missing in action, and that the treble is very forward. The bass is detailed and goes deep, and is tight, but is recessed.

Out of all 3 IEMs that I tried the beyer DX160 was my preferred choice, but that lacked treble. The CX 5.00 had more treble but sounded rather synthetic.

The N20 my be for you, depending on your choice of music, but for me I found it too harsh in the upper registers, and lacking the midrange to make it what I would consider a good IEM.
There will come a DX200 IE , not sure if already released, titanium body and price in EU , 199 Euro

Dec 9, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #22 of 90
I'm having a Beyerdynamic DX 160 currently and this piece is good for basshead, bass is tight and punchy, but obviously lacks of treble.

Now I'm changing to soft music style and interested in the AKG N20, what's your thought about it? is it good for acoustics or classical? this earpiece is kinda new so it's hard to find any review about it...
Maybe they need some time to develop their potential? Do you wear them over ear?

Jan 20, 2016 at 8:05 AM Post #23 of 90
I chanced into these little gems and if you somehow are reading this thread, luck is on your side and you should definitely get yourself a listen to the AKG N20. I'm glad I run into these unexpectedly and have been loving them. I'm surprised it didn't generate more excitment on HF or elsewhere! Anyway just want add my quick impressions of the N20 and a few of the similarly priced models.

I haven't been listening nor following IEMs in this price bracket for a long while. My last pair of IEM around the US$100 mark was the Hifiman RE400. Last week one morning I found out I need to make an urgent trip that afternoon only after I got into my office. I didn't had any of my DAPs nor IEMs/CIEMs and all i had with me is my Note 5, my company issued iPhone 6, and a pair of the (unopened) apple ear buds. The ear buds sound okay but had minimal isolation, and thus I went to a local headfi store over lunch (its unfortunately close to my office) scrambling for a pair of "inexpensive" in-ears, and ideally with mic so it can be used to take calls.

I asked for recommendations around US$100-150 and was offered to demo the following candidates: Fidelio S2, Momentum In-Ear, CX 5.00, RHA750, Onkyo E700m, and the N20.

I had read good things about the S2 in random threads and reviews prior and it was my initial target as local street prices fell from around 170 to about 100. I also love sennheiser and owned hd25, 600/650 and still uses hd800 frequently. RHA is very popular in the local IEM enthusiast circle but I only knew about the T10/20. I had never owned any AKG product (a few "almost" with 701, 812, and 3003) and knew nothing about Onkyo IEMs.

I listen to a wide range of music from orchestras to dubsteps to jazz to anime... and I value gears that portray transparency, life-like timbre, balanced FR (not necessarily total "flat/neutral"), and spacing of notes.

A quick listen (with spotify extreme quality from Note 5 and IP6) quickly ruled out the Onkyo E700m. It's a shame as I love it's built and looks. It might be the most "flat" sound among the candidates and would be great if you look for a "reference"/"audiophile" type tuning. It also got good transparency and spacing. However it lacks bass for my taste and everything sounded a touch too dry.

Another one I ruled out quickly was the Momentum In Ear. Despite the generally positive reviews and vibe I find the mids way too recessed and mid bass overbearing making everything sound congested. In comparison I like the CX 5.00 a lot more.

I also ruled out the RHA 750 but not for its sound. I quite like the "wide U" shaped tuning with good bass/treble extension and non-overly recessed mids. Its instrument timber is also quite good. Bass is sufficient but can be tighter for my taste. I can also use more treble presence. Maybe the lack of presence also gave me a sense that it lacks transparency. But overall I can live with the sig. The deal breaker for me is the (actually very nice!) heavy brushed aluminum casted shell and thick cable - I needed something nice, quick, and pocketable to complement my clumsy totl gears.

The Fidelio S2 sounded quite nice with most of the attributes I looked for, and had maybe the widest soundstage of the bunch. It has just enough bass over the Onkyo but you can still regard this as reference type tuning, and it didn't have the dryness/tightness I find with the E700m. I can't really find any obvious weakness in terms of sound but there is not an obvious strength or wow factor either. Maybe I can use a bit more bite on the the low and high registers. Build wise it is solid but cable might be a tad long and unwieldy.

The CX 5.00 is the cheapest of the bunch and checked most of the boxes for me. Again an all rounded performer that can use more transparency/airiness, and a tighter bass. It's weakest area is timbre but I find the tuning much more reasonable than the Momentum in ear, and it's cheaper to boot!

Last it is the N20. Design wise it is the most understated/unassuming one. The non-descript appearance and my general (lack of) luck with AKG didn't have me much hope. Nonetheless, when I listened to it it immediate reminded me of its much more expensive sibling - the K3003. The timbre, transparency, and spacing are all excellent. FR wise some might find its treble harsh, especially on poorly recorded/mastered materials - not unlike the K3003. Bass is deep and tight with good lunch, and I love the fact that midbass is done subtly and not overbearing. It simply sounded more "high-end" than its price tag. It also reminded me of the IE800 sounded with excellent fast tight impactful bass. It sounded closest to my trusted JH13pro amongst the bunch with just a shade less midbass and less refined. Build wise it is light but feel robust. The understated design actually grew on me and fit in well with my business attire. They are quite comfortable to wear and the cable is not microphonic and don't tangle easily. Also surprisingly the 3 button mic control work for BOTH my Note5 and IP6. Very nice bonus and practical feature for me who uses both platforms.

Been using the N20 exclusively for the past week and really living them. Will try to update with more impression once I get some time with it on my AK240 and Hugo.

Cheers!

Mar 11, 2016 at 7:33 AM Post #25 of 90
I've had a pair of these for about a month. I got the version without the mic, apparently only available in the USA. I really like them, especially in midrange and treble.

They have a very sweet female vocal with lots of upper midrange energy. Distortion rock guitars soar with air and have great bite and crunch. Bass, for me, is the weak aspect. It's a bit heavy handed in sub bass, so I often wear a slightly loose seal to compensate.

Build is nice and the housings are tiny. I use dual flange tips (Mee audio I believe). They get my thumbs up.

Mar 11, 2016 at 8:35 AM Post #26 of 90
I've had a pair of these for about a month. I got the version without the mic, apparently only available in the USA. I really like them, especially in midrange and treble.

They have a very sweet female vocal with lots of upper midrange energy. Distortion rock guitars soar with air and have great bite and crunch. Bass, for me, is the weak aspect. It's a bit heavy handed in sub bass, so I often wear a slightly loose seal to compensate.

Build is nice and the housings are tiny. I use dual flange tips (Mee audio I believe). They get my thumbs up.

Good to see you also liking the N20 too as they really surprised me. Also loved the mids and the treble sparkles. I use the stock medium tips and find the seal and subbass just right. It is a hard iem for me to descibe as it is almost bass heavy and brightly transparent with a sweet non recessed mid ALL AT THE SAME time. It is an exciting sound but yet have a "reference" tuning. I know i m not making much sense LOL but this is a very enjoyable IEM.

Apr 2, 2016 at 4:01 AM Post #27 of 90
These peaked my interest so I ordered a pair off of ebay. I actually like that they might be a bit basshead oriented :). How are they for microphonics and can they be worn over ear? I also love the fact I can use them with my android phone and my ipad mini.

Apr 4, 2016 at 12:34 AM Post #29 of 90
Going to keep my eyes on these. I'm a little surprised we don't see more headphones out there with 3-button compatibility for iOS and Android in the same unit. I wonder how they compare to the Xiaomi Piston 3?

Apr 4, 2016 at 7:38 AM Post #30 of 90
These peaked my interest so I ordered a pair off of ebay. I actually like that they might be a bit basshead oriented :). How are they for microphonics and can they be worn over ear? I also love the fact I can use them with my android phone and my ipad mini.

Cable is light and not microphonic. I prefer to wear them down as the nozzle is angled in such a way wearing down is most secure and comfortable. Looking forward to hear your impression when they arrived.

These look interesting. Whats the comfort and fit like? Can they be used for running like someone previously suggested? 

Love the fit and comfort. I m still more used to wearing customs but the N20 is one of the more comfortable and well designed (ergonomic wise) universals I had came across. I use it for long conference calls and yes I use them in the gym and running too. I like them for outdoor runs as it sit flush in my ear and avoid wind noise caused by some of my other IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back