AKG K812 Pro
Mar 6, 2024 at 10:07 PM Post #4,804 of 4,825
Regarding the description of the AKG K812 being loose on the head, a little adjustment of the vertical sliders will tighten up the fit nicely - have it just a tiny amount less than pushing upwards on your ear lobes. This also seals the phone better to your head and gives a more extended bass response.

Mar 6, 2024 at 10:47 PM Post #4,805 of 4,825
Reading the recent discussions reminded me that I have not had my pair out for a while. Listening to it right now. Sounds as gorgeous as ever. :)

IMG_3561.jpeg

Mar 7, 2024 at 2:21 PM Post #4,807 of 4,825
Reading the recent discussions reminded me that I have not had my pair out for a while. Listening to it right now. Sounds as gorgeous as ever. :)

I know I sound like I absolutely love the K812 - I do - and I want to say that I have absolutely no affiliation with any vendor of anything. The only other AKG headphone I have is the K701.
For some reason, the K812 and the Mysphere 3.2 (oddly enough, produced by ex-AKG employees) sound the best of all my headphones when their minor quirks are "fixed" with Oratory1990 or Soundworks EQ. IIRC, Tyll had modified his Sennheiser HD800 reference (fixed their frequency response) when they were compared with the raw AKG K812, which I'd call an uneven playing field. I've not heard the current crop of TOTL headphones, including any Sennheiser for comparison, but the K812 went from tonally superb (with a slight emphasis to a note or two in piano reproduction in the upper middle registers) to absolutely natural with EQ. Even Tyll said they were a superb headphone when raw, apart from that "eeee" vocal (or piano) emphasis. If it was OK to EQ out problems in the Sennheiser with good results, try the K812 with the above mentioned EQ. It's certainly worth a re-examine. IMHO, the AKG and the Mysphere with EQ sound better than the Utopia OG, either raw or with EQ, IMHO, graphs and distortion be damned.
Flame suit on, ready for the fire-breathing haters.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2024 at 5:55 AM Post #4,809 of 4,825
I know I sound like I absolutely love the K812 - I do - and I want to say that I have absolutely no affiliation with any vendor of anything. The only other AKG headphone I have is the K701.
For some reason, the K812 and the Mysphere 3.2 (oddly enough, produced by ex-AKG employees) sound the best of all my headphones when their minor quirks are "fixed" with Oratory1990 or Soundworks EQ. IIRC, Tyll had modified his Sennheiser HD800 reference (fixed their frequency response) when they were compared with the raw AKG K812, which I'd call an uneven playing field. I've not heard the current crop of TOTL headphones, including any Sennheiser for comparison, but the K812 went from tonally superb (with a slight emphasis to a note or two in piano reproduction in the upper middle registers) to absolutely natural with EQ. Even Tyll said they were a superb headphone when raw, apart from that "eeee" vocal (or piano) emphasis. If it was OK to EQ out problems in the Sennheiser with good results, try the K812 with the above mentioned EQ. It's certainly worth a re-examine. IMHO, the AKG and the Mysphere with EQ sound better than the Utopia OG, either raw or with EQ, IMHO, graphs and distortion be damned.
I am with you there. the K812 and MS 3.2 are great HPs!

Mar 9, 2024 at 8:29 AM Post #4,810 of 4,825

Preamble: I am not an employee of a headphone company!

I had good contacts to AKG Vienna and now to AustrianAudio Vienna, which was clear because it is part of the former AKG team.
Always had the opportunity to take part in pre-tests regarding the final tuning.
Of all the AKG headphones, only the K712 and K812 remain.
K812 is hardware modified, it got the mesh of a K872 (works with a little trick), which tames the peak a bit.

As far as Mysphere is concerned, I've already listened extensively to both versions 3.1 and 3.2 with all the mesh attachments. I know the designer personally. I was able to follow "the development" from the design and first prototypes to the release of these headphones. Even just the fact that the Viennese scene met at the Vienna head-fi meetings at the Vienna University of Technology.

I don't live too far from Vienna, so I know the scene personally.

PS: Oratory1990 also works not too far from me.

Mar 9, 2024 at 2:47 PM Post #4,811 of 4,825
Preamble: I am not an employee of a headphone company!

I had good contacts to AKG Vienna and now to AustrianAudio Vienna, which was clear because it is part of the former AKG team.
Always had the opportunity to take part in pre-tests regarding the final tuning.
Of all the AKG headphones, only the K712 and K812 remain.
K812 is hardware modified, it got the mesh of a K872 (works with a little trick), which tames the peak a bit.

As far as Mysphere is concerned, I've already listened extensively to both versions 3.1 and 3.2 with all the mesh attachments. I know the designer personally. I was able to follow "the development" from the design and first prototypes to the release of these headphones. Even just the fact that the Viennese scene met at the Vienna head-fi meetings at the Vienna University of Technology.

I don't live too far from Vienna, so I know the scene personally.

PS: Oratory1990 also works not too far from me.
I only included my disclaimer because of all the nasty accusations thrown at Nomax.

Mar 19, 2024 at 3:17 AM Post #4,812 of 4,825
Received a second AKG K812 via Amazon at a 2014 price (AUS$1546 new). Sounds just as good as the other one (made in Austria), so being made in Slovakia wasn't any detriment at all. Looks like they have sold at least 21,000 of these. Not bad sales for a previously deemed "overpriced" headphone. It's certainly a bargain now.

Mar 19, 2024 at 11:09 AM Post #4,813 of 4,825
Received a second AKG K812 via Amazon at a 2014 price (AUS$1546 new). Sounds just as good as the other one (made in Austria), so being made in Slovakia wasn't any detriment at all. Looks like they have sold at least 21,000 of these. Not bad sales for a previously deemed "overpriced" headphone. It's certainly a bargain now.
In UK now they are selling for £735 on Amazon. Still I can't think of a better open back headphone at the same price.

Mar 19, 2024 at 11:26 AM Post #4,814 of 4,825
€ 1.177 :flag_at:
https://www.thomann.de/at/akg_k_812.htm

Mine is an early bird made by AKG in Vienna - and I almost wanted to sell it, but I'm still keeping it. Recently compared K812, DT1990, Composer.
Mounted a mesh from the K872 on K812 pads, own 2 sets of pads. Unfortunately, the edges that rest against the skin have become hard over time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back