AKG K812 Pro
Nov 17, 2015 at 3:11 AM Post #3,766 of 4,825
  I misspoke. They didn't have more than one company sell more than 50 pairs last year (2014). Their reach is MUCH smaller than that of Sennheiser and the HD800 was my point. And yet despite that smaller reach and more resources, they won't budge on the design. I don't want to put anything more specific than that out in the public domain, but AKG doesn't seem to care that the response to the K812 has been luke warm.

Sorry, I can't relate to that.
For one that 50 pieces count now sounds completely different (given how many distributors they have). Then I would not consider its reception luke warm. Its not universally loved, no question about that. I can understand that... but which headphone is? I, for one, certainly prefer it over the HD800 and many others, even if I would not call it the best headphone I know. And read through this thread... many others feel like that as well.

There are things I would like to see changed (e.g. Mini-XLR instead of Lemo) but I understand thats not going to happen, at least not any time soon. I can live with that. Its a solid product as it is and does many things right.

Nov 19, 2015 at 4:59 AM Post #3,769 of 4,825
  Is this a real concern? I've seen it posted a few various places... I don't seem to have any issues with it but maybe I'm not aware?

Even if it is a concern, replacing the plug is easy as pie.

Some people just hate adapters. :/ I know quite a few of them. LOL 
gs1000.gif

Nov 24, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #3,770 of 4,825
Does AKG's site sell a LEMO cable in various lengths that terminates to an adapter-less 1/4" ?

Would it have been smarter for AKG to have the included cable with the K812 pro, terminate to a 1/4", with a large detachable gold adapter that terminates to 1/8", like the AKG K701 came with ?
I think not.
K812 was designed as TOTL reference headphone for young mobile engineers, producers, and artists.
Most of whom work on high end customized MacBook Pro laptops.
Whom don't always take an Apogee or UA interface with a 1/4" jack them everywhere.
And the K812 Pro sounds absolutely phenomenal directly out of the 1/8" jack, no amp required.
That's it's niche.

Back to the adapter itself........Some people are very OCD and borderline paranoid schizophrenic, and unable to enjoy anything, no matter how great, unless their own flawed brain's sense of idealistic perfection is met at every minute visible or quantifiable point.  The internet has made things infinitely worse for these poor souls.  So much information out there, so many OPINIONS, and schizoid pessimists will spend lots of their own money for literally no gain in actual performance.  But to instead calm their own mind's negativity and increase their confidence in their particular chain.

What a horrible existence that must be.
AKG K812 Pro and Beyerdynamic T90 Jubilee are pretty much Endgame headphones for me.
Only when a closed headphone with comprable soundstage to K812/HD800, and detailed bright signature comes along, will I buy another headphone
I've tried multiple HD800's on tube amps and solid state, Stax SR-009, Abyss, LCD-2&3, Hifiman He-6's, etc.........none of them served my needs better than the Combo of T90 & K812.  Nor were any of them worth the increased price tag for the phones and necessary rig to accompany them to make them sound good/big/their best.

Dec 14, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #3,773 of 4,825
  Did anybody noticed the dreadful measurements of the the new Dharma headphone.
Strangely, everybody seems to rave about those and nobody blinked an eye at the measurements.
I still remember when all the people, most of them not having heard the K812, were crying out loud...
rolleyes.gif

Very strange.

Over the last weeks, managed to read through the entire thread, only to keep seeing the same posters comment again and again just to dump on AKG and these cans, quote Tyll ad nauseam, and swear some people on here are wrong to prefer the K812 over the HD800...

If you don't own them, listened to them and didn't care for them -- or worse, never even listened to them, why dump on them for post after post from 2013 on to 2015? It's like there's something personal invested. 

Just bizarre.

Dec 14, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #3,774 of 4,825
i'd like to give the dharma a fair hearing first.

Good. I guess the keyword is "fair". Looks like many on here refused to do the same for the K812 before dumping on them. "A TOTL hp shouldn't measure that way" blabla...

Dec 14, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #3,775 of 4,825
Very strange.

Over the last weeks, managed to read through the entire thread, only to keep seeing the same posters comment again and again just to dump on AKG and these cans, quote Tyll ad nauseam, and swear some people on here are wrong to prefer the K812 over the HD800...

If you don't own them, listened to them and didn't care for them -- or worse, never even listened to them, why dump on them for post after post from 2013 on to 2015? It's like there's something personal invested. 

Just bizarre.

i'd like to think that i'm not one of those posters. having said that, this is a headphone forum and folks are allowed to express their glowing or critical opinions about them here for whatever reason and as often as they like.

Good. I guess the keyword is "fair". Looks like many on here refused to do the same for the K812 before dumping on them. "A TOTL hp shouldn't measure that way" blabla...

yes, i try to give cans a fair hearing before posting my impressions. folks are free to agree, disagree or disregard them - they're just my opinions.

Dec 14, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #3,776 of 4,825
i'd like to think that i'm not one of those posters. having said that, this is a headphone forum and folks are allowed to express their glowing or critical opinions about them here for whatever reason and as often as they like.

And that you did. Again and again. And again. But there's a positive, I guess. Thanks to your posts on this K812 thread over the years, I've managed to learn more about the HD800!

Dec 14, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #3,778 of 4,825
  Just wanted to say a big THANK YOU to the good folks at AKG, although the RMA took a number of weeks, AKG has decided to replace my spoiled K812 with a brand new one!
beerchug.gif
 Best part is, all I've had to pay is the freight charges, and that was it......thanks AKG! You have reaffirmed my faith and given a good reason to add another AKG can (or two!) to my collection.

Edit - Pics of the new K812....

While my earlier model K812 had 'Made in Austria' printed on it, the new one has a sticker on the inside of the headband stating country of origin...

Really nice! Your comments/reviews were very helpful.

I see that the serial # is in the 12k range. Not bad...

Dec 14, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #3,779 of 4,825
glad to have been of assistance

... yes, helped me pull the trigger on a K812. Always been a fan of AKG's sound signature anyway.

But your concern as an alert consumer is duly appreciated. 
biggrin.gif

Your tireless efforts throughout this thread to prevent potentially unaware customers from making buying mistakes are... well, laudable.  

Dec 14, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #3,780 of 4,825
i think you've misunderstood my motivation for posting here. it certainly wasn't to dissuade folks from buying the k812. clearly my comments haven't deterred you, but you are an akg fan so i guess that's to be expected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back