AKG K812 Pro
Jan 28, 2015 at 7:29 AM Post #3,286 of 4,825
Wow, I always assumed the HD800 has the best soundstage of any headphone, so this is new to me.
So would you say the holographic soundstage is worth the loss of transparency?

I did not say the K812 has bigger soundstage than the HD800, the HD800 is still the king of soundstage and imaging. But the K812 presents vocals in such holographic way it is very captivating and addictive to listen to.

I cannot say whether the holographic soundstage worth the loss of transparency or not, but what I can say is this: after listening to the K812 for a while, I miss the HD800. After listening to the HD800 for a while, I miss the K812.

Jan 28, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #3,289 of 4,825
  @Sorrodje: for me the HD800 and K812 are in the same league. Both have a fantastic level of details.
I cannot hear that the K812 lacks of details, dynamic or whatever. Okay the bass punch is slightly faster with the HD800 but thats all. On the other hand the sub bass and bass quantity is higher on K812.

I owned the HD800 for one year and some weeks ago I changed to K812 and I did not miss any type of details or whatever. And the K812 is definitely the better allrounder.
The K812 sounds "straighter" and the listener is more involved and the sound out of the HD800 is more distant but there is nothing that you can listen with HD800 but not with K812.

Last week I got again an Audeze LCD-X. Very nice headphone but not my cup of tea. I like the sound of K812 and HD800 as well.

I am going to have to give the HD800 another shot.  To be honest I didn't care for the sound signature but I love the K812.   I also had both the LCD-X and the K812 at the same time.  After much comparing and also having a professional musician compare the two, I chose to keep the K812 over the LCD-x.  I know that statement is heresy around here :)   .

Jan 28, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #3,290 of 4,825
  I know that statement is heresy around here :)   .

You are absolutely right. Maybe because of Audeze is an american manufacturer :wink:.
I don't know. I really like the sound from LCD-X but I like the sound from K812 more.

Jan 29, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #3,293 of 4,825
Yep

Jan 29, 2015 at 3:29 AM Post #3,294 of 4,825

I am going to have to give the HD800 another shot.  To be honest I didn't care for the sound signature but I love the K812.   I also had both the LCD-X and the K812 at the same time.  After much comparing and also having a professional musician compare the two, I chose to keep the K812 over the LCD-x.  I know that statement is heresy around here :)   .

No, why heresy?
At 812, the potential is much more than the LCD-X. Resources design LCD greatly exhausted, and in this regard, 812 look more promising.
Besides, the LCD were and still are problems with quality headphones. But I never heard about quality problems at 812

Jan 29, 2015 at 4:02 AM Post #3,295 of 4,825
Heresy because sometimes the objectivity seems lost when you post some critical comments about the stuff from Audeze or Schiit.
For example Schiit. I know a lot of people which have serious problems with its stuff and returned or sold it because of quality problems. Same for Audeze and the driver failures. Okay it has gotten better but not as good as other companies like Sennheiser, Beyer, AKG, etc.
But that's a different story 
wink.gif

Let's talk about the K812
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 29, 2015 at 6:52 AM Post #3,296 of 4,825
In addition to that they follow rather different design goals (I'm not talking about the goal to make them 'sound good' :wink: so its actually more a matter of taste if one likes some Audeze headphone or the K812 better. Regarding build quality: I think its extremely complex and manufacturers like AKG, Beyerdynamic and Sennheiser simply have much more experience in that field.

Yes, there is definitely a large audience here enjoying Audeze and Schiit stuff, both of which are not exactly to my taste, but I still can understand someone longing for their products.

Jan 29, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #3,299 of 4,825
AKG just should re-make the K1000.

I think they get that request rather often :wink:
Unfortunately I heard it would not be viable to just reproduce the original as the moulds are lost or something like that. And they seem not to be convinced that a new development based upon that model would actually be worth it. Too bad...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back