AKG K812 Pro
Sep 21, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #2,898 of 4,825
I heard the most beautiful music while on u tube, a new record by Elina Garanca of classical/operatic pieces from her new cd, Meditation. So I picked one up today, and this glorious music is thrilling thru the K812. Elina is a mezzo soprano, with one of the most beautiful voices I have ever heard. Check her out on. Phenomenal for the those open to broaden their musical horizons. The entire cd is worth hearing again and again.

Sep 21, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #2,899 of 4,825
I heard the most beautiful music while on u tube, a new record by Elina Garanca of classical/operatic pieces from her new cd, Meditation. So I picked one up today, and this glorious music is thrilling thru the K812. Elina is a mezzo soprano, with one of the most beautiful voices I have ever heard. Check her out on. Phenomenal for the those open to broaden their musical horizons. The entire cd is worth hearing again and again.

Thanks for the recommendation, my friend! I was just looking at her latest album on hdtracks and wondering if that same album was worth buying. :)

Sep 23, 2014 at 7:05 AM Post #2,901 of 4,825
I had my second K812 encounter at the show in Germany last weekend, this time with my own source and music, i.e. an iPhone + CEntrance M8.

For me personally it was the best headphone of the show (though I did not hear all of them, some by choice, some by lack of time) and of those I heard the only one that gave me goose bumps.

I happen to like a rather present treble as long as the presence area does not cut my ears. Plus, adhering to my mobile musical preferences of Electronica, deep reaching, clear and impactful bass without being overdone is important to me (yes, I still like my Sig DJ, but its too much from time to time). The K812 did exactly that, spraying little details around I can't remember to ever have heard before even in quite well known titles. I also liked that its sonic signature did not change with volume.

The HD800 was a bit softer in the 3-5kHz region, but the K812 gave me a more complete musical impression, not picking apart strings / instruments within a title... hard to explain, but while it showed lots of details and made it easy to concentrate on single pieces it did not make you do that, it was just as easy to hear the title as the sum of its parts. And enjoy it as what it was intended: music.

Comfort is really good, the deep cups and large headband adding to that. Went up several steps on my personal to-buy list, together with a V281. Meanwhile its nice to know that it will pair well with my Phonitor 2...

Sep 23, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #2,902 of 4,825
I love my AKG K812pro!!!!   Great headphone!!
Only 2 points I want to complain about it:
1. Picky about sound sources. You will be able to hear all the details in your sound sources, even a slight imperfection ! As a reference headphone, it's good; but it's annoying when you found your favorite tracks actually have recording issues. 
2. Too heavy, and not as comfortable as I thought.    I have never owned any other flagship headphones before. I don't know it's only AKG K812's problem or it happens to other Flagships like HD800; AKG K812 is heavy, and ear pads are not as comfortable as I expected, you can not wear it all day.  My Denon AH-D 600 actually is much more comfortable than K812.

Sep 23, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #2,903 of 4,825
I love my AKG K812pro!!!!   Great headphone!!
Only 2 points I want to complain about it:
1. Picky about sound sources. You will be able to hear all the details in your sound sources, even a slight imperfection ! As a reference headphone, it's good; but it's annoying when you found your favorite tracks actually have recording issues. 
2. Too heavy, and not as comfortable as I thought.    I have never owned any other flagship headphones before. I don't know it's only AKG K812's problem or it happens to other Flagships like HD800; AKG K812 is heavy, and ear pads are not as comfortable as I expected, you can not wear it all day.  My Denon AH-D 600 actually is much more comfortable than K812.

Glad you are enjoying the K812! It is a wonderful headphone.

As for your complaints, the first is the flip side of the transparency of the K812. Sadly, a lot of modern albums are sloppily mastered with digital artifacts left on the final product. In respect of weight, it is actually quite comfortable and light. Wait til you try one of the Audezes. :wink:

Sep 23, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #2,904 of 4,825
Go for it. Seems we have very similar taste in music.
Enjoy my friend.

It was lovely! Btw, HDTracks just released a remastered collection of Maria Callas named Pure. Very good. And lovely on the 812 and Abyss.

Sep 23, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #2,905 of 4,825
Glad you are enjoying the K812! It is a wonderful headphone.

As for your complaints, the first is the flip side of the transparency of the K812. Sadly, a lot of modern albums are sloppily mastered with digital artifacts left on the final product. In respect of weight, it is actually quite comfortable and light. Wait til you try one of the Audezes.
wink.gif

Wow, Audezes LCD-XC weights 650 g.  I suddenly feel the 390 g weight of K812 is very acceptable. 

Sep 23, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #2,906 of 4,825
Wow, Audezes LCD-XC weights 650 g.  I suddenly feel the 390 g weight of K812 is very acceptable. 

Indeed! It's all a question of perspective. :)

Sep 24, 2014 at 1:00 AM Post #2,908 of 4,825
I haven't noticed the Abyss on your list till you mentioned it. In fact,my our whole lineup is chock full of heavy hitters.,it must be hard to choose which set up to use.

Heheh! You may remember that I once said that the 812 only lags behind the Abyss in my collection. :)

I try to be disciplined about rotation. But the abyss and the 812 are always out as they are the default cans. :)

Sep 24, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #2,909 of 4,825
I heard the most beautiful music while on u tube, a new record by Elina Garanca of classical/operatic pieces from her new cd, Meditation. ...

Thanks, I listened and...bought it right away.   Great find !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back