AKG K812 Pro
Aug 16, 2014 at 6:34 AM Post #2,836 of 4,825
maybe those folks who find the k3003's highs a bit sharp should give it some burn in time.
wink.gif
don't think that it sounds like a mini hd800 fwiw.

changing the filter would probably be the better solution

Aug 16, 2014 at 6:53 AM Post #2,837 of 4,825
shame you can't do that with the ie800. :wink: but seriously - i get the comparison with the hd800's fr but that's where the similarity ends imo.

Aug 16, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #2,838 of 4,825
shame you can't do that with the ie800.
wink.gif
but seriously - i get the comparison with the hd800's fr but that's where the similarity ends imo.

Sorry I wasn't clear before. I was only speaking of the FR. I tend to focus on tonality more than anything initially because I REALLY hate coloration.

Anyway all of the earphones/headphones we're talking about are within the range of "neutral enough" that I find them acceptable on most days and when they're not acceptable I've got the FSP as my palate cleanser

Aug 16, 2014 at 8:09 AM Post #2,839 of 4,825
no worries. like i've said in the k3003 thread it's the most balanced phone i own and the clarity is second to none.

Aug 16, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #2,840 of 4,825
As far as burn in goes, I've never really heard it myself, I'm not really a believer in things like burn in and many other things in this hobby. I find arguing about it pointless though, I prefer to stay my hand when its comes to commenting on things like that - people are entitled to hear and believe what they want, as it does not affect me I do feel like I should argue for either side. 

Anywhoo, I have seen some people saying that this headphone was not a success or something of the like - regardless of what opinions may be out there, I'd like to try it out eventually myself. Is there any serious concerns about this headphones build quality, design or consistency that I should be worried about? I apologise in advance if this question has been done to death or already answered.

Aug 16, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #2,842 of 4,825
I still have my cx300 that o seldom use, only like 50 hrs in many years, and my father in law cx300 that he use almost everyday for like 5 years so maybe about 1000 hrs.
I compared both last week, they still sound identical.
Maybe this cx300 really does not change with burn in? ... I am just sayin.

Aug 20, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #2,844 of 4,825

Anywhoo, I have seen some people saying that this headphone was not a success or something of the like - regardless of what opinions may be out there, I'd like to try it out eventually myself. Is there any serious concerns about this headphones build quality, design or consistency that I should be worried about? I apologise in advance if this question has been done to death or already answered.

It's best to let your own ears--rather than someone else's--be the judges.
No build/quality issues with my pair.  I got my foot tangled in the cable and yanked the K812 onto the floor the other day.  No problem.

Aug 20, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #2,845 of 4,825

the headphones were criticized in some reviews for supposedly sibiliant/harsh treble.  i've never heard it, but i suppose it might possibly be there if i were listening to some other kinds of music.  i listen to classical and jazz, and the 'phones have been wonderful: airy, great separation along with great tone across the full frequency range, right out of the box.

Aug 20, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #2,846 of 4,825
Personally and subjectively I find the HD800 more sibilant. The K812 can sound down right dark sometimes with certain songs. It's very neutral or slightly dark/netural for me. Definitely not bright or bright/neutral. I would say the HD800 is bright/neutral or neutral for me depending on the song I'm listening to. The K812 also sounds more detailed, micro/macro detail/ more textured etc etc revealing all shades of the tone when it hits. This is at odds with some really experienced/expert reviewers so I'm kind of confused about my conclusions/ears as that's how I hear it. Maybe I need to hear the HD800 on the Vahalla 2 or some other worthy amp. I've most recently heard it off the Beyerdynamic A1 amp so who knows what's going on right?

This is just one man's ears of course so take it as a small data point.

Aug 20, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #2,847 of 4,825
  Personally and subjectively I find the HD800 more sibilant. The K812 can sound down right dark sometimes with certain songs. It's very neutral or slightly dark/netural for me. Definitely not bright or bright/neutral. I would say the HD800 is bright/neutral or neutral for me depending on the song I'm listening to. The K812 also sounds more detailed, micro/macro detail/ more textured etc etc revealing all shades of the tone when it hits. This is at odds with some really experienced/expert reviewers so I'm kind of confused about my conclusions/ears as that's how I hear it. Maybe I need to hear the HD800 on the Vahalla 2 or some other worthy amp. I've most recently heard it off the Beyerdynamic A1 amp so who knows what's going on right?

This is just one man's ears of course so take it as a small data point.

Yeah, I found it interesting with my experience with both the HD 800 and K812 it was at odds with the experienced reviewers as well, I thought the K812 was a little better overall and this is on high-end gear, maybe my friend's gear is simply more tuned to the K812 than the HD 800 or something of the sort. You're not the only one who finds the K812 the more detailed and overall better headphone. The K812 could simply be very picky with gear and maybe some peoples ears simply don't agree with the headphone. Maybe one's state of mind and/or perception of things changes things. There are so many variables to consider it makes it hard to truly know.

Aug 20, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #2,848 of 4,825
Not to forget quality issues. We assume that all headphones from the same manufacturer sound identically. That may be true in general, but obviously, there are exceptions. Sennheiser for example provides Certificates for Frequency Response for each single HD800 headphone they make. I guess that there is a good reason for this.

Aug 22, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #2,849 of 4,825
  the headphones were criticized in some reviews for supposedly sibiliant/harsh treble.  i've never heard it, but i suppose it might possibly be there if i were listening to some other kinds of music.  i listen to classical and jazz, and the 'phones have been wonderful: airy, great separation along with great tone across the full frequency range, right out of the box.

Same here.
The K812 have done justice to every genre I have tried them with so far.
Had a great listen to some old Electric Light Orchestra the other night: a huge, detailed, 3D and MUSICAL soundstage, without a hint of harshness to be heard anywhere.
I am very happy with the AKGs.

Aug 24, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #2,850 of 4,825
Groovin' on the John Scofield cd, Uberjam. Sounding mighty fine on the K812. Very deep, articulated bass, drums, snare and cymbal work all nicely accounted for. Great slam and presence. Scofield's guitar work just burns up everything, yet always tasty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back