AKG K812 Pro
Aug 10, 2014 at 4:05 AM Post #2,808 of 4,825
I just posted this on the HD800 thread:

How is the Beyerdynamic A1 amp with the HD800?

I had a very extended session with the HD800 on the A1 amp yesterday and came away kind of not impressed. I was using my DX90 as the source and my own music and to my ears my K812 sounded better straight out of the DX90 headphone out.

The HD800 was okay and probably would have been impressive if I had not come to know the K812 for the last few months. My guess is that the A1 wasn't up to the task of showing me what the H800 can really do but my impression was that the K812 has better resolution across the board, including bass resolution/texture and more even sounding/neutral overall. The HD800 sounded a little peaky/sibillant at times (very minor though) but was also quite even sounding/neutral. The HD800 sounded quite similar to the K812, well balanced except that that slight peakiness and the bass lacked a little definition/slam compared to the K812. I do feel like I would have been a lot more impressed coming straight from the LCD-2/HE-500 instead of months with the K812.

Aug 12, 2014 at 3:39 AM Post #2,813 of 4,825
  Well???
What's the verdict?

Very positive , but to compare it to stock cable i need more time to burn in. 
Problem that I get this cable in the same time with 6n23p russian tubes so I installed cable + tubes so i dont really know what exactly makes changes tubes or cable :) I Will try to compare stock cable vs Noir hybrid hpc cable head to head in a few days or so.

Aug 12, 2014 at 7:31 AM Post #2,814 of 4,825
  Well???
What's the verdict?

After around 24+ hours of warming tubes and Cable I can say:
FAW Noir hybrid hpc cable(450$) + 6n23p russian tubes(35$ each) =520$
                         Vs 
Stock cable(0$) + cv2492mullard tubes(100$ each) = 200$

I feel that sound now much bigger . For me its hard to explain due to my bad english but its like sound "Size" increased in all frequencies.
For example Bass size increased as well as bass punch! .
I was worried that i will loose bass punch because of silver in Noir Hybrid  but bass punch increased as well

High frequencies increased in size but they not sharp they just bigger which is very pleasant.
For example Highs now very clear and textured but in the same time not sharp. I think its called Warm.  Just pleasure!

Soundstage are noticeably increased as well , everything feels much more louder/bigger/textured.

I am not 100% sure if all those improvements happened due to the cable or tubes swap. I think due to the cable but to be sure I need to test cable vs cable on same setup. I think I will do this after 100+ hours. At this moment i am very happy with the sound

Aug 13, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #2,815 of 4,825
Thank you and congratulations!
Sounds like a nice, well-implemented silver cable doing everything silver should do to improve the sonics.
Right now, I am trying to get a LEMO-to-1/8" Female adapter made for the K812.  That way I can use either a 1/8"-to-1/8" UPOCC silver or copper cable [already on hand] with the AKGs.
All other things being equal, I have ALWAYS preferred silver to copper cable.

Aug 13, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #2,816 of 4,825
Sorry if I have missed any developments, but how is MacBob doing with his replacement 812s?

Aug 14, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #2,817 of 4,825
Sorry if I have missed any developments, but how is MacBob doing with his replacement 812s?

Evidently inquiring minds want to know! Just kidding. Thanks for asking brother. I tried them after approx 55 hours of burn in, and although they sounded good, they were not up to par quite yet. They will need more burn in for the desired effect. So I've been burning them up with my iPod. Haven't tried them for several days so I've been laying low.
So far my rivets are type and everything else appears good. I'm hoping the 3rd's time the charm.
How about you, any new musical treasures you care to share that shine on the 812?

Aug 14, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #2,818 of 4,825
Evidently inquiring minds want to know! Just kidding. Thanks for asking brother. I tried them after approx 55 hours of burn in, and although they sounded good, they were not up to par quite yet. They will need more burn in for the desired effect. So I've been burning them up with my iPod. Haven't tried them for several days so I've been laying low.

So far my rivets are type and everything else appears good. I'm hoping the 3rd's time the charm.

How about you, any new musical treasures you care to share that shine on the 812?

I had to put up with a similar, lengthy burn-in problem with the new HiFiMAN HE-560.

The manufacturer recommends 150 hours before their cans can sound their best (Can Can?).

I think headphones should sound the way they are going to sound when you buy them. How are you to know that you like what you bought if you have to wait after 100 hours of use or burn-in? Often, you have to spend more money buying a pink-noise generator and/or use up 100 hours of the life of you own equipment. I listen to one of my headphones may be 30 minutres a day so that is almost a year of my headphones's life I use up just to burn them in.

I think the manufacturers should do whatever it takes to make their product ready to perform their best, NEW, out of the box.

If they can't, I would accept one of the two compromises:

They can provide whatever devices I need to burn-in these headphones without using up the life of my own equipment.

As a second compromise, they can pay me for my time, and the wear and tear on the product, say around minimum wages ($10 per hour) for the length of the burn-in period. OK, $10 x 100 = $1,000 and subtract that amount from the cost of the headphones.

That would be acceptable.

Sorry to derail your K812 threads. But I think the burn-in issue is germane to many headphones iuncluding the K812.

Cheers!

PS: Sometimes I have the sneaky suspiscion that they simply want you to hang on to the product that you don't quite like until it is too late to return it :)

Aug 14, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #2,820 of 4,825
I agree that the burn-in period on some headphones is ridiculous.  I think they should be burned in as part of the QA process.
there's also mental burn in to get used to the sound signature... So you should listen to the cans for a day or two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back