AKG K812 Pro
Jul 15, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #2,720 of 4,825
I'm sorry to report that my replacement pair of K812's had to be returned to AKG for replacement. I sent them in early last week with their RMA# attached, and I have yet to hear anything from them. Unfortunatly the the problem started in the left earcup whenever I put them on. Just touching the cup or headband would cause the sound to intermittently cut in and out. After 2 weeks of that the right earcup would cut out whenever I adjusted the headband to fit over my ears. Just touching the headband would then cause both drivers to cut in and out. Just prior to the return, both drivers were either not working or the sound would be very weak. Since this was my second pair, I personally would not recommend the K812 to any prospective buyers until they do a redesign. Since I'm under factory warranty, I'm now stuck having to wait out the factory return process as well as stuck with these obviously poorly designed cans. If the 3rd pair fails, I guess I'll just toss them in the trash and write off a $1500.00 loss. BUYER BEWARE.

Jul 15, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #2,721 of 4,825
I'm sorry to report that my replacement pair of K812's had to be returned to AKG for replacement. I sent them in early last week with their RMA# attached, and I have yet to hear anything from them. Unfortunatly the the problem started in the left earcup whenever I put them on. Just touching the cup or headband would cause the sound to intermittently cut in and out. After 2 weeks of that the right earcup would cut out whenever I adjusted the headband to fit over my ears. Just touching the headband would then cause both drivers to cut in and out. Just prior to the return, both drivers were either not working or the sound would be very weak. Since this was my second pair, I personally would not recommend the K812 to any prospective buyers until they do a redesign. Since I'm under factory warranty, I'm now stuck having to wait out the factory return process as well as stuck with these obviously poorly designed cans. If the 3rd pair fails, I guess I'll just toss them in the trash and write off a $1500.00 loss. BUYER BEWARE.

Thanks for the update -- I had these on my short list.... I will hold off until they get the cable issue figured out.

Sorry to hear you are having troubles!  I have been enjoying my last 2 headphone purchases a lot lately, so I was in no hurry to get the K812 anyway... The Oppo PM-1 and Hifiman HE-560 are both very good. Hopefully you get a chance to listed to one of them... they may be a good replacement.

Jul 15, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #2,723 of 4,825
Those issues made me sell my pair. I liked these phones but that QA is not acceptable.

Jul 15, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #2,725 of 4,825
Very sorry to hear that macbob, now I'm very cautious about putting my k812 on my head everytime, especially to try and readjust them.

For my 1st pair when I sent it in for repairs, it took about 3 weeks for them deliver a new one to me. I had to call them to ask for an update though.

Now I'm having 2nd thoughts in keeping these cans...:frowning2:

Jul 15, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #2,726 of 4,825

This is quite depressing. Hopefully the third time's the charm. I absolutely love the sound of the K812 myself but it seems they have some serious reliability issues that really need to be ironed out before I take a risk with them. None of the other current high-end dynamics really appeal to me much except maybe the T1. My favorite dynamic ever, the R10 is discontinued and way too expensive. The HD 800 fatigues my ears sadly otherwise I would of considered them. I may consider just going the ortho route instead. I'll most likely will just wait until the K812s issues are sorted out though.

Jul 15, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #2,727 of 4,825

Sorry to hear that the 812 continues to give you trouble, my friend... Hope the next pair is more sturdy.

Jul 15, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #2,728 of 4,825
Sorry to hear that the 812 continues to give you trouble, my friend... Hope the next pair is more sturdy.[/quote

When the first pair failed, my confidence was shaken.,but when the new ones and worked well and sounded great all was forgiven. Since that time, we have all read the numerous posts about quality and I was hoping this was just a random occurrence. But now with 2 pairs having had the same issue, I've lost all confidence in this wiring design. This would be unacceptable in a $20.00 pair, let alone a flagship model from one of the biggest headphone companies on the planet.
Does anyone know if there is a lemon law that covers headphones? I'd love to get my money back.

Jul 15, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #2,729 of 4,825
bummer. sorry to see that guys. tyll identified a potential design flaw in his review. wonder if it's the cause of these problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back