AKG K812 Pro
Jun 5, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #2,461 of 4,825
The resistors in the headphone output jack circuit do change the sound of the headphones.

It was designed for headphones, and from my personal expirence just a month ago with the C376BEE Integrated Amp it sounded fantastic. So much so that I was beginning to look at my headphone amps as unnessary. Unfortunatly, the amp failed after only 3 days of use and I shipped it back to Crutchfield. (When the box arrived it was clearly damaged, but the unit looked fine).

Jun 7, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #2,462 of 4,825
It was designed for headphones, and from my personal expirence just a month ago with the C376BEE Integrated Amp it sounded fantastic. So much so that I was beginning to look at my headphone amps as unnessary. Unfortunatly, the amp failed after only 3 days of use and I shipped it back to Crutchfield. (When the box arrived it was clearly damaged, but the unit looked fine).

Correction; Should have said NAD C375BEE.

Jun 7, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #2,464 of 4,825

There’s something about the combination of the open spacious sound and bass impact that makes the 812 highly engaging to listen to. It sounds completely natural with genres the LCD-X and HD 800 can have problems with. The soundstage is the biggest I’ve heard outside of the HD 800, easily beating the LCD-X. The bass with the 812 rolls off earlier than the LCD-X in the very deepest bass notes, but the bass the 812 can play comes across with considerably more physical impact. Listening to orchestral recordings you get a huge open sound like the HD 800, except now with drums that hit with a force you can feel against your ear. I’ve never heard a headphone do EDM as well as the 812. The sound feels neutral and natural, but not at the cost of fun. The LCD-X obviously does a great job playing bass, but it can feel a bit detached with some tracks. Like you can hear the artist wanting you to feel the bass, but the headphone is restrained because it wants to act like a proper studio monitor. The 812 lets the bass go wild and makes you hear and feel it, but it’s not completely out of control like some mediocre closed headphone with booming bass.

I currently have K812 listening to them right now. I went into the store today with the intention of buying LCD-Xs (I used to own them and now I don't). They were not in stock so I bought these and will be listening to them for at least the next week. Then the plan is to go listen to the LCD-X and decide which I like better. 

All I listen to is EDM. Mostly trance, some hard dance, some hard style, and some speedcore.

anyone who has listened to both which would you think is best for my musical preference?

Jun 8, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #2,469 of 4,825
I think they would be a very sweet pairing.
schiit Valhalla 2 is coming out or something? I'll be reading the FAQ for that... Lol. Schiit always has the funniest FAQ sections on their website I've ever seen.

Jun 8, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #2,470 of 4,825
I'm listening to some classical music right now straight out of my iPad. No amp or DAC, using PandoraOne. Sounds unbelievably good. Huge soundstage, pretty good detail, plenty of slam. These K812's are truly amazing headphones. They will scale up as high as you want to go, but basically sound fabulous with everything.

Jun 8, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #2,474 of 4,825
I think I'll settle on an objective 2... For mobile use. Yes, I am crazy... And lucky the objective 2 has a built in battery. My goal this summer is 2,000$ for the objective 2, k812's, and JVC SZ2000's... Sz2000 for portable, k812 for home. I would use the k812 for portable, but its a tad too expensive to be carried around. (I don't even care that its open either. Its just the price.)

Jun 8, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #2,475 of 4,825
I'm not familar with the Project Ember, tell me about it.

The Project Ember is a high output hybrid tube amp meant to drive basically any headphone from low to high ohm including orthos. It can either be sold as a DIY kit($290) or pre-made($340). It has 3 different gain settings. I haven't heard the amp, but I have heard it described compared to the Schiit Lyr saying that the Ember is a little brighter, clearer, and a bit more detailed than the Lyr as well as having more tube rolling options to allow it to be fine tuned a bit more for whatever headphone. It doesn't quite have the raw power of the Lyr and the Lyr is a bit warmer in terms of sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back