AKG K812 Pro
Apr 3, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #2,176 of 4,825
One thing that really confuses me. The K701 has efficiency and sensitivity of 93 dB/mW and 105 dB/V, and the K812 has 96 dB/mW and 110 dB/V, not so different. Yet the K701 is almost mandatory to have amping from what I hear, but the K812 is probably the best headphone out there when powered only by a smartphone. What's the deal with this? Something else at play besides sensitivity and efficiency?

Apr 3, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #2,177 of 4,825
One thing that really confuses me. The K701 has efficiency and sensitivity of 93 dB/mW and 105 dB/V, and the K812 has 96 dB/mW and 110 dB/V, not so different. Yet the K701 is almost mandatory to have amping from what I hear, but the K812 is probably the best headphone out there when powered only by a smartphone. What's the deal with this? Something else at play besides sensitivity and efficiency?

Probably is, not sure what, but going by my listening experience of the previous AKG flagships the K7xx series and K6xx series they are quite picky and harder to drive than they seem. One of the biggest improvements is the bass, when underpowered or with bad synergy they have like no bass slam or physicality but when amped right they can hit really hard in the bass and have a lot of physicality.

Apr 3, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #2,178 of 4,825
Yeah there is no bass anemia problem at all with the K812 through smartphone. Maybe also has something to do with achieving 1.5 Teslas.

Apr 7, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #2,179 of 4,825
Yet the K701 is almost mandatory to have amping from what I hear, but the K812 is probably the best headphone out there when powered only by a smartphone. What's the deal with this? Something else at play besides sensitivity and efficiency?

Thats, what really dissapointed me. I don't know who brought this whisper in, when the K812 came out . . . but its untrue. For me, the K812 is still very hard to drive, like all AKGs of the K Series are. My T90 is  6x louder than my K812. K812 is almost as loud as a K601/701/Q701/K812 etc. and thats not very much and not what I was expecting. To be honest, i was not impressed , i was shocked and dissapointed. You guys should test it if you don't believe it. Almost any headphone I posess (except AKG Phones) plays louder than my K812.

I wonder how these rumors have spread  x____X

Apr 7, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #2,180 of 4,825
Thats, what really dissapointed me. I don't know who brought this whisper in, when the K812 came out . . . but its untrue. For me, the K812 is still very hard to drive, like all AKGs of the K Series are. My T90 is  6x louder than my K812. K812 is almost as loud as a K601/701/Q701/K812 etc. and thats not very much and not what I was expecting. To be honest, i was not impressed , i was shocked and dissapointed. You guys should test it if you don't believe it. Almost any headphone I posess (except AKG Phones) plays louder than my K812.

I wonder how these rumors have spread  x____X

Yeah it doesn't play anywhere as loud as compared to mobile headphones, but I think we're talking more about the frequency response remaining unaltered despite the weak power from a smartphone. It has substantial bass and no thinness unlike some other headphones unamped. Even at max volume on my phone it only reaches 80-85 dB.

Apr 7, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #2,181 of 4,825
The "rumors" aren't 100% true, but they're also not 100% false. The K812 plays well from a modern DAPs like the X3, X5, DX50, DX90, HM-901/802 + plenty others I'm forgetting.

So this is actually good, because full sized cans like the K701 or HD650/600 series are "less than okay" from these DAPs, while the K812 is "more than okay" with these DAPs. I feel like the X3 is a bit too weak for the Q701/HD600 (although "okay" but they sound a little dull/lifeless), while I don't feel this way about the K812 and feel like the X3 drives them with a lot of punch and wide dynamic swings. What needs improvement is the DAC section and the amp refinement/transparency, but certainly does not require more power (for me at least).

I will be placing an order for the DX90 and/or X5 today, so I'll let you guys know how the K812 plays with one or both. Still not sure if I'm gonna get both or just the DX90...

Apr 7, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #2,182 of 4,825
  The "rumors" aren't 100% true, but they're also not 100% false. The K812 plays well from a modern DAPs like the X3, X5, DX50, DX90, HM-901/802 + plenty others I'm forgetting.

So this is actually good, because full sized cans like the K701 or HD650/600 series are "less than okay" from these DAPs, while the K812 is "more than okay" with these DAPs. I feel like the X3 is a bit too weak for the Q701/HD600 (although "okay" but they sound a little dull/lifeless), while I don't feel this way about the K812 and feel like the X3 drives them with a lot of punch and wide dynamic swings. What needs improvement is the DAC section and the amp refinement/transparency, but certainly does not require more power (for me at least).

I will be placing an order for the DX90 and/or X5 today, so I'll let you guys know how the K812 plays with one or both. Still not sure if I'm gonna get both or just the DX90...

Spot on M-13. When I first got my hands on the AKG K812, it was during my lunch break. Being impatient, I played it on my HM-802, which then had the IEM card. And it played nicely. I believed I uploaded the photos of the AKG K812 to this thread.

Since then, I have used it my HM-901 on IEM card and the HM-802 on the classic card with no issue. Unlike the AKG K702 which could only driven when I am using the minibox card, the AKG K812 seemed fine with the HMs.  

I have also used it with the AK 240 with pleasing results. Not optimal as if I drove it with my Bryston BHA-1, but good enough. 
atsmile.gif

Apr 7, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #2,183 of 4,825

Spot on M-13. When I first got my hands on the AKG K812, it was during my lunch break. Being impatient, I played it on my HM-802, which then had the IEM card. And it played nicely. I believed I uploaded the photos of the AKG K812 to this thread.

Since then, I have used it my HM-901 on IEM card and the HM-802 on the classic card with no issue. Unlike the AKG K702 which could only driven when I am using the minibox card, the AKG K812 seemed fine with the HMs.  

I have also used it with the AK 240 with pleasing results. Not optimal as if I drove it with my Bryston BHA-1, but good enough. 
atsmile.gif

Ah, didn't know the backstory behind your first K812 day. Haha. That's nice, if it can be driven from the IEM card, we know it's pretty easy to drive.

I'm assuming you have both the X5 + DX90 enroute to your home pretty soon? I've been very patient resisting the beautiful siren call of the HM901+mini-box card, so I hope my wait for the DX90 has been "worth it".

Apr 7, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #2,184 of 4,825

Ah, didn't know the backstory behind your first K812 day. Haha. That's nice, if it can be driven from the IEM card, we know it's pretty easy to drive.

I'm assuming you have both the X5 + DX90 enroute to your home pretty soon? I've been very patient resisting the beautiful siren call of the HM901+mini-box card, so I hope my wait for the DX90 has been "worth it".

Heheh! The things we find out in moments of necessity. ;p

Uh.... actually no. I think that I have more than enough DAPs. At the moment at least. But you never know....
atsmile.gif

Apr 8, 2014 at 3:24 AM Post #2,185 of 4,825
Uh.... actually no. I think that I have more than enough DAPs. At the moment at least. But you never know....
atsmile.gif

I just placed my order for the DX90. I'll probably be raving about how awesome it is with the K812 by this weekend and it'll push you over the edge to order one.
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 8, 2014 at 3:45 AM Post #2,186 of 4,825
  I just placed my order for the DX90. I'll probably be raving about how awesome it is with the K812 by this weekend and it'll push you over the edge to order one.
evil_smiley.gif

Heheh! We'll see, M-13. 
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 9, 2014 at 3:36 AM Post #2,187 of 4,825
My long awaited Toxic Cables Black Widow has arrived! Can't wait to get home to try them out! :)

Apr 9, 2014 at 4:17 AM Post #2,189 of 4,825
Thanks! The interesting question is whether it will sound as good as I think it should...? :)

Apr 9, 2014 at 7:54 AM Post #2,190 of 4,825
I have had the Toxic Cables BW and AKG K812 on my head for the past hour or so now. Remember that unlike the DHC Fusion iteration of the AKG K812 replacement cable which only has 3 wires, Frank managed to fit in 4 wires into the BW. It looks and is more hefty and sturdy. 

But how does it sound? As posted previously, I was a bit concerned that the DHC Fusion, regardless of any benefits it may bring, made the 812 sound a little thinner than I appreciated (perhaps the silver in the hybrid wire) and the 812 lost a bit of that organic bass which made it sound so attractive.

Well, I am happy to say that with BW, the bass is back. In fact the BW is bringing the mids forward a little thereby giving a sense of a richer sound with more layers and details. There is also an extra sparkle in the sound. That's what I love about the BW: it is organic and musical. 

Thus far, the initial impression is the BW doesn't detract from the stock 812 sound, but enhances it. I am a happy man! 
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back