AKG K812 Pro
Feb 22, 2014 at 9:11 AM Post #1,351 of 4,825
Mind linking to a store in Poland that might ship to the rest of Europe?

Feb 22, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #1,352 of 4,825
LA,

below is the link but I do not know whether they will ship anywhere to Europe. Must contact 'em.
Unfortunately, I can not help you - I am abroad right now.

http://www.musiccenter.pl/akg-k812-pro/5973/

Of course the price is given in Polish zloty :)

Feb 22, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #1,353 of 4,825
It's about £100 cheaper than from thomann.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/akg_k_812_pro.htm

Feb 22, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #1,354 of 4,825
Lowest I can get them in Europe seems 1350 euro from a German store :x

Feb 22, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #1,356 of 4,825
Jeez, 1425 Euro at Thomann... That is one nasty hit in the groin! The hassle is, most dealers here are nothing but "order takers" and to them the term "an audition" is alien. Buying a pair headphones on faith is not a particularly good prospect. 

Feb 22, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #1,357 of 4,825
  Here are my impressions from the AKG K812 Pro with different amps in order of prefer:

Lehmann Audio Linear SE (7 ohm output):
positiv:
- very good strong bass
- huge soundstage on similar level as the BMC Pure Dac
- very beautiful tone colours
- very good mid- presentation
- at no time annoying treble or sibilants
negative:
- at this time nothing

B.M.C. Pure Dac (100 ohm output):
positiv:
- at no time annoying treble or sibilants
- huge soundstage
- airy treble reproduction
- beautiful tone colours
negative:
- low mid- presentation ( 100 ohms ? )
- bass less pronounced than with the other amps

SPL Phonitor 2 (0 ohm output):
positiv:
- nice balanced treble and mid- range
- very direct style of play
- very good strong bass
- generally seems to be a very powerful and controlled sound as if he has the AKG full control
negative:
- soundstage compared rather average
- tone colours not quite as nice as the B.M.C and the Lehmann
- not quite as airy height representation as the BMC and the Lehmann

Meier Audio Corda Jazz (0 ohm output):
positiv:
- slightly accentuated nice mid range
- good soundstage
- good strong bass
negative:
- minimum slightly annoying in the heights but no comparison to the Burson or Lake People
- not quite as airy height representation as the BMC and the Lehmann

Burson Soloist SL (0 ohm output):
positiv:
- beautiful contoured strong bass
- very direct style of play
negative:
- partially but annoying and borderline heights or sibilants
- soundstage rather poor
- airiness in the heights None

Lake People G100 (0 ohm output):
positiv:
- similar Burson beautiful contoured strong bass
negative:
- partially also annoying and borderline heights or sibilants
- soundstage rather poor
- airiness in the heights None

I'm thinking of buying these to pair with my Burson Conductor, but I'm a little worried about this comment regarding the soloist SL and K812 pairing. The conductor is essentially a regular soloist, so these observations may not apply, but worrying none-the-less.

Has anyone tried the K812 with a soloist or conductor who can confirm these observations? It seems odd the soundstage, transparency, and treble region would potentially be so poor considering these are the conductors/soloists main strengths.

Feb 22, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #1,360 of 4,825
Has anyone had a chance to game with the k812. If so are they compared to the hd800?

I have compared them extensivly in my review here http://www.head-fi.org/products/akg-k812/reviews/10312

But short HD800 wins in Soundstage and Neutrality, I likec the bass and PRAT of the K812 more.

Feb 22, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #1,361 of 4,825
I have compared them extensivly in my review here http://www.head-fi.org/products/akg-k812/reviews/10312

But short HD800 wins in Soundstage and Neutrality, I likec the bass and PRAT of the K812 more.

Thanks! Your review deals with the question on most people's minds. I have both the HD800 and the AKG K812 and generally agree with you. The only departure would be in respect of tizzy trebles. Heheh! Maybe I'm losing my hearing but I honestly can't hear that one.

It's almost 200 hours burn in for me now and I am still gobsmacked by it. I was listening to Mercy by Duffy and I'll amazed by how real and organic the percussion sounds. :)

In another note, I received news that my DHC fusion replacement cable should be shipping next Tuesday. Joy oh joy!

Feb 22, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #1,363 of 4,825
Thanks! Your review deals with the question on most people's minds. I have both the HD800 and the AKG K812 and generally agree with you. The only departure would be in respect of tizzy trebles. Heheh! Maybe I'm losing my hearing but I honestly can't hear that one.

It's almost 200 hours burn in for me now and I am still gobsmacked by it. I was listening to Mercy by Duffy and I'll amazed by how real and organic the percussion sounds. :)

In another note, I received news that my DHC fusion replacement cable should be shipping next Tuesday. Joy oh joy!

Great news on the cables. I'm well over 100 hours in on my 812's, and I have yet to hear anything tizzy yet. I've been burning them in with a borrowed Asgard2. I slipped them on this morning and sure enough the burn in is paying off. The sound continues to get better, more open and detailed. I played a classic jazz trio recording by super bassist Brian Bomberg, his all acoustic Wood cd. Whew! Sounded live out of the phones. The slap on the bass had great body and the woody tone of the big bass was all there. This morning I've been playing the new Chick Corea cd, The Vigil, which is an all electric band and it sounds fantastic. Now that I've gotten used to the Asgard2 with the 812, I must say it has grown on me. It's really quite good, but I'm hoping to get the Phonitor2 by the end of next week.

Feb 22, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #1,365 of 4,825
Great news on the cables. I'm well over 100 hours in on my 812's, and I have yet to hear anything tizzy yet. I've been burning them in with a borrowed Asgard2. I slipped them on this morning and sure enough the burn in is paying off. The sound continues to get better, more open and detailed. I played a classic jazz trio recording by super bassist Brian Bomberg, his all acoustic Wood cd. Whew! Sounded live out of the phones. The slap on the bass had great body and the woody tone of the big bass was all there. This morning I've been playing the new Chick Corea cd, The Vigil, which is an all electric band and it sounds fantastic. Now that I've gotten used to the Asgard2 with the 812, I must say it has grown on me. It's really quite good, but I'm hoping to get the Phonitor2 by the end of next week.

I am glad that I am not the only one who doesn't hear the tizzy trebles. ;p

With regard to the Phonitor, all I will say is I am very jealous! Heheh! If you lived nearby, I would jump into the car and drive over when it arrives. :) Look forward to hearing about how it pairs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back