AKG K812 Pro
Feb 15, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #1,171 of 4,825
So....three people definitely like them. Any other 812 owners want to chime in? I like AKG cans but really want a general consensus before shelling out that kind of dough.

No chance of you having a listen yourself? That will be trumps any impression we may have.

Feb 15, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #1,172 of 4,825
Not really, unless I travel to Montreal. Might be a good idea though
biggrin.gif

Feb 15, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #1,173 of 4,825
Not really, unless I travel to Montreal. Might be a good idea though :D

Yes, yes. We are twisting your arm. ;p Just do bring along your own source: just in case the source provided by the store doesn't quite do headphones justice.

Have fun! :)

Feb 15, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #1,174 of 4,825
  Not really, unless I travel to Montreal. Might be a good idea though
biggrin.gif

Only a few hours away Dave...then you can stop off for some smoked meat and Montreal style bagels...mmmm. 

I'm still very eager to hear these cans...if I don't get to hear them soon, I may just crack and pick them up in a month or two.

Feb 16, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #1,175 of 4,825
Hey M-13 and MacBob, I'm now past 100 hours and creeping up to the 150 hour mark. What I can say is that the 812 will hold true to its early promise: what it does introduce now as part of the incremental improvement is that the details are more nuanced, the imaging more precise and the layering more clearly delineated. :)

That's fantastic. I'm 30 plus hours in on my replacements, and they sound fabulous. I'm listening to a classic ECM cd by Thomas Stanko, From the Green Hill, and it sounds the best I've ever heard it. The trumpet and horns sound rich and burnished, with excellent layering and separation. The drums are spot on, and the cymbal work shimmers. The acoustic bass sounds very deep and full. The overall presentation is very solid and coherent, like a pair of great speakers finely tuned to the perfect room.
Earlier I enjoyed Chris's Issack's Greatest Hits cd, and it really punched hard. Vocals were spot on, the guitars were just stunning. Again the cohesiveness of the sound from the K812 was not only just right, but perfectly balanced from top to bottom. These phones sound thrilling to me. You and M-13 are well ahead of me on burn in, but I look forward to catching up to you guys.
I would like to find a really good amp/Dac combo to synergiize properly with these. I've been using the Lyr, but it's not really a good match. Any suggestions?

Feb 16, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #1,176 of 4,825
Purchased mine K812 week ago and after 2 days replaced the cable.
They sound much better now, improved resolution, depth, bass.

Cable I bought: HYBRID SERIES
http://forzaaudioworks.com/en/#

For me, so far, best dynamic HP ever heard :)

Feb 16, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #1,177 of 4,825
A review of the K812 by Headfonics, if I may add. http://headfonics.com/2014/02/the-k812-by-akg/4/ 

Feb 16, 2014 at 1:19 AM Post #1,178 of 4,825
That's fantastic. I'm 30 plus hours in on my replacements, and they sound fabulous. I'm listening to a classic ECM cd by Thomas Stanko, From the Green Hill, and it sounds the best I've ever heard it. The trumpet and horns sound rich and burnished, with excellent layering and separation. The drums are spot on, and the cymbal work shimmers. The acoustic bass sounds very deep and full. The overall presentation is very solid and coherent, like a pair of great speakers finely tuned to the perfect room.
Earlier I enjoyed Chris's Issack's Greatest Hits cd, and it really punched hard. Vocals were spot on, the guitars were just stunning. Again the cohesiveness of the sound from the K812 was not only just right, but perfectly balanced from top to bottom. These phones sound thrilling to me. You and M-13 are well ahead of me on burn in, but I look forward to catching up to you guys.
I would like to find a really good amp/Dac combo to synergiize properly with these. I've been using the Lyr, but it's not really a good match. Any suggestions?

Glad to hear that, MacBob! Hmm... insofar as desktop rig is concerned, I find that it has the best synergy running out of my Benchmark DAC1 (as DAC) and Otomatsu BDR-HPA02 (as amp). I'm not sure how readily Otomastsu is available elsewhere. Off the Graham Slee Solo UL, I get pretty good results, as I do out of the Benchmark DAC1.

Hope that helps! Listen on! :)

Feb 16, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #1,179 of 4,825
  A review of the K812 by Headfonics, if I may add. http://headfonics.com/2014/02/the-k812-by-akg/4/ 

I disagree with the reviewer, but to each their own right. :)

I recently received the new SPL Phonitor2 and NOMAX was right about the K812 being a great pairing.  Gotta spend more time with the combo before wrapping up the review.  

Feb 16, 2014 at 4:38 AM Post #1,181 of 4,825
Feb 16, 2014 at 5:03 AM Post #1,183 of 4,825
Hmmm... Not sure if the reviewer and I have been listening to the same cans...

It's not as if the impressions here have been consistent, ranging from studio neutral to a more fun at-home sound (the majority of reports have said the latter).

One non-persuasive aspect is his preference for darker sounds, which leads him to make some peculiar comparisons. Besides that, he seems to have trouble separating the question of how good it sounds from how much it costs, which is quite silly in an audio review.

Feb 16, 2014 at 5:31 AM Post #1,184 of 4,825
The whole review is very bad and inconsistent with weird comparisons and resulting conclusions (K712's much much better bass), however it's ok not to like this headphone.
Quote:
It's not as if the impressions here have been consistent, ranging from studio neutral to a more fun at-home sound (the majority of reports have said the latter).

Actually most conclusions are rather that despite it's revealing nature and balance it's still "musical" or has a bit euphony, especially in the mids(!)/bass. 

Feb 16, 2014 at 5:42 AM Post #1,185 of 4,825
Actually most conclusions are rather that despite it's revealing nature and balance it's still "musical" or has a bit euphony, especially in the mids(!)/bass. 

Either this is another example of trying to have it both ways, or you really can have it both ways. Maybe AKG decided to compromise, so either they hit the sweet spot or they end up short-sheeted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back