AKG K812 Pro
Feb 1, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #886 of 4,825
can't help wondering if folks don't exaggerate how much they hear these variations between the same model cans especially if they're not comparing them at the same time. guess measurements would be the way to go coz memory can be pretty unreliable.

Feb 1, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #887 of 4,825
can't help wondering if folks don't exaggerate how much they hear these variations between the same model cans especially if they're not comparing them at the same time. guess measurements would be the way to go coz memory can be pretty unreliable.

Can't speak for others, but my lcd3's are a little darker than the demo pair. And my hd800's are nowhere near as bright/sharp as the demos either. I always lug my own cans to my local hifi shoppe unless i'm going by train.

Feb 1, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #891 of 4,825
Posted a small update to my impressions.

The Black Diamond prototype from ECP Audio is an amazing companion to the K812. Provides a bit more sense of weight at the expense of a little air, but keeps the sound wide open.

So YOU bought the prototype? I thought it was going to spawn some new product or kit at some point? Seems similar in concept to what steve (eddy) is doing (or at least keeps teasing us with cases). I re-read the ecp article and he said the gain is x4. Do I take it that that's about right for the 812?

Feb 1, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #892 of 4,825
So YOU bought the prototype? I thought it was going to spawn some new product or kit at some point? Seems similar in concept to what steve (eddy) is doing (or at least keeps teasing us with cases). I re-read the ecp article and he said the gain is x4. Do I take it that that's about right for the 812?

I have one of the first two prototypes that use Lundahl transformers. A third prototype was made at some point that uses Cinemags. There were some boards sold too, so there might be another DIY version or two floating around out there. Incidentally, mine has multi-layered plywood edges that match the K812's Omega stand perfectly, so it's really a great pair in both sound and looks.

Last I heard Doug from ECP was working on a production version of the Black Diamond, but I don't know any more details. I definitely recommend K812 owners look into it though whenever it materializes.

The Electro Magnetic Amp Co. 515SE (Steve Eddy's amp) is somewhat similar in that it uses transformers instead of transistors or tubes, just like the Black Diamond. I think the BD is meant to be an entry-level product for ECP Audio however, while the EMAC 515SE is a flagship that costs significantly more.

The gain settings on the BD are perfect for the K812. It's absolutely silent, and there's a good level of volume play.

Feb 2, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #893 of 4,825
^ One crack does not represent the entire production line, i hope.

Early products specially of these low volume headphones will inevitably suffer from variations which include defects. Porosities in pieces of plastic can be ironed out in the process. It's not the happiest thing to happen but it doesn't mean all 812's will suffer.

If you're worried about the materials used, wait till you see them in the flesh and have them on your head. There's cost-cutting and these's weight saving. I'm sure mahogany, leather and brass would be awesome but they do work against your neck muscles.

Feb 2, 2014 at 4:33 AM Post #894 of 4,825
So what? The HD800 have terrible build quality, the coating is actually very bad and if you put them on public display, after 2 years you can see the bare plastic below it.

For me the important part is that those go for studio monitor instead of "audiophile". I want the equivalent of a high end Dynaudio studio speaker, not whatever preference the designer has/thinks we as the headphone community have.

Feb 2, 2014 at 4:39 AM Post #895 of 4,825
Two of my friends had the chance to test it, they told me K812 is made for listening, its sound is musical and those who want a HD800 performance should simply get a HD800. I wouldnt mind getting the K812, problem is tax return is 5 months away. 

What I am interested to know is how much Dr Olive research had influence on the final tuning of the K812?

Feb 2, 2014 at 4:52 AM Post #896 of 4,825
  So what? The HD800 have terrible build quality, the coating is actually very bad and if you put them on public display, after 2 years you can see the bare plastic below it.

For me the important part is that those go for studio monitor instead of "audiophile". I want the equivalent of a high end Dynaudio studio speaker, not whatever preference the designer has/thinks we as the headphone community have.

I used to strive for the best "build quality" and resent anything made of plastic. But now, regarding headphones I actually preferred pastic/fiber, because that way the headphones would be lighter. Lighter = more comfortable.

Feb 2, 2014 at 5:03 AM Post #897 of 4,825
Build quality is very important. You don't want your EUR 1500 headphones to fall a part in few years, right? I just wonder, if you going to use them, in studio, on daily base, what is going to happened to them in few years?

Feb 2, 2014 at 5:12 AM Post #898 of 4,825
  Build quality is very important. You don't want your EUR 1500 headphones to fall a part in few years, right? I just wonder, if you going to use them, in studio, on daily base, what is going to happened to them in few years?

Personally, if I have an option to get a heavy headphone with impeccable build quality, I may reject it. Lightness contributes significantly to the level of comfort of a headphone.

That said, I concede to the point that K812's build quality > HD800. It also looks much better IMO.

Feb 2, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #899 of 4,825

I actually agree with you about the measurements being off, but I don't trust measurements as much as that yet.

measurements are too scientific I guess...

I'd have considered buying the headphone if it was priced 500€ MSRP lower, like other flagships in its class. 1500€ is just too much for a headphones that measures worse than other flagships which it's trying to compete against.

Don't look only to the measurements, i think only focus to the measurements is the wrong way. Headphones must made to enjoy the music with musicality at a high resolution level like the AKG K812 Pro has!

See also this discussion about audio gear and measurements:

http://youtu.be/iRyUOpFt1jI

Feb 2, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #900 of 4,825
What I am interested to know is how much Dr Olive research had influence on the final tuning of the K812?

As someone else pointed out, based on the measurements probably not much to none.

Their notions are interesting, but I doubt one can discover the good by taking a poll, however sophisticated. Maybe there's a neuroscientific explanation for sound preferences, but it can't explain what we love in our souls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back