AKG K812 Pro
Jan 27, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #751 of 4,825
I agree with MuppetFace the HD800 has a very tight hard punch even on trance tracks well amped. Personally though I think the HD 800 sound incredible even on the Fiio X3. Not super heavy bass like TH900 or Sig DJ though. Personally I felt that the k812 was a bit beefier. k812 a tad harsher up top, tube can smooth if that your thing. k812 > t1 is the feeling though

id post more but im using on screen keyboard with mouse

dislaimer is that i'm objective amps/dacs/cable wise.

Jan 27, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #754 of 4,825
Entirely focusing on comfort:

It felt a tad lose and a tad heavy. Clamping force was similar to other AKG (i own a k702 as reference) but due to the weight it almost felt like the headband could easily slip towards the back or the front.

This was very apparent as I tried it in a taiwanese shop and i had to bend over as they did not consider the cable length for european size listeners :).

The headband cushion (reminds me of the fidelio x1) seems to be better than the normal leather strap akg uses and i felt its a clear improvement.
The wonderful leather ear cushions had a fantastic seal (even tho i wear glasses) and a fantastic fit. On long term i would wonder if the ears become too sweaty though.

It is so very tempting but i simply dont dare to buy a headphone in that price class without being confident i could use it for 6-8 hours without discomfort.

Jan 27, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #755 of 4,825
You, too?  Wow, I'm shocked.  I remember you not being a huge fan of the T1 before so even this small concession to the HD800 is a compliment IMO.  The retail price does make it harder to bite since the HD800 has dropped in price.  The HD800 is currently the favorite I've owned, planar or dynamic.  I think I could accept a small concession in soundstage and imaging with the slightly more "musical" and well balanced presentation that has been previously described.

Now I'm curious of how they stack up to the big name planars.
It's not a small concession, but if you are used to the planars, you aren't as sensitive to it as I am.

Jan 27, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #756 of 4,825
It's not a small concession, but if you are used to the planars, you aren't as sensitive to it as I am.

Well, I used to be but that very reason is the why I've moved away from them.  By small, I'm referring more to the degree in which the soundstage presentation may be inferior to the HD800.  If it's only to a slight degree, then it could be a fair compromise for my tastes at least.  But if on the level of most planars, AT's, and grado's then not a chance.  But I would assume it be one of the better headphones in that regard.  

That, and from what I've read from you for awhile, your not exactly one to throw out excessive positive opinions or excess hype, so even the faint praise carries some weight to me.

In fact, my current K712 does very well in soundstage presentation as well as overall balance and it seems they've managed to tweak the 7 series platform to it's limits, and it's an excellent value for the price, albeit not quite on the same level of the top flagships.  I'm hoping the impressions of the HE-560 will yield better in this regard, as their single sided design is supposed to yield a more open and airy sound.

For the time being I think the K812 is now at the top of my must hear list, followed by the HE-560.

Jan 27, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #757 of 4,825
Are you calling me negative? :wink:

If you are satisfied with the K712, the K812 will knock your socks off.

Jan 28, 2014 at 1:03 AM Post #758 of 4,825
Are you calling me negative?
wink.gif

If you are satisfied with the K712, the K812 will knock your socks off.

Ha, not at all.  More like subdued with dealing praise.  Nothing wrong with that of course.  The sanity check is a good thing every now and then around here.  And that's what I'm hoping for with the K812.  Similar tonal balance and presentation, but with a refinement level closer to the HD800.  I'm just hoping I can get it for less than current retail.  

Though, I'm sure a few will pop up for sale used once peoples' initial curiosity has been sated.  I'm just happy a few members that tend to be more skeptical are at least unbiasedly acknowledging positive traits.  My concern is that the AKG skeptics (with good reason) would automatically have a negative bias going into an evaluation.

Jan 28, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #759 of 4,825
Jan 28, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #760 of 4,825
Hi, everybody
I need help,I have AKG K812. I want to change the cable, as I know the connector brand is LEMO, but I don't  what serial # and model do I need to use. Can somebody give this information??
Thanks in advance 
Antonio  

Jan 28, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #761 of 4,825
Here the LEMO contacts

http://www.lemo.de/

http://www.lemo.com/en

Till today AKG dont offers a service manual from K812
http://www.akg.com/k812-1308.html

DHC Molecule SE for AKG K812
http://www.doublehelixcables.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=127

Jan 28, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #764 of 4,825

Everything right and wrong with Head-Fi in one photo. Now that's impressive.

Clarification?  I'm assuming by right you mean a flagship that can be driven well by portable, and by wrong you mean both items are overpriced?  Especially if that is the AK240 in the picture, which from the announcements I've read, has a rather absurd retail price.

Jan 28, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #765 of 4,825
I think...

Right = simply listening and enjoying your music with your headphones.
Wrong = spending absurd amounts of money on $1K+ gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back