AKG K812 Pro
Dec 4, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #181 of 4,825
I notice that the K812 is only using a 3 wire (3 pin mini xlr) system leading out of the earcup instead of 4 like some other headphones. Not that it matters much but then making them balance would be pretty complicated.

Dec 5, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #182 of 4,825

It feels worse than most mid fi cable to be fair.

That's not good. 
frown.gif

Cables, from my experience, do not really change the sound anyway unless they are really, really bad. IMO I'd take an inexpensive cable over that inconvenient thick HD800's.

Only problem is we can't run this headphone balanced without tinkering.

Dec 5, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #183 of 4,825
remember your first experience with the HD800? that feeling of realism and amazement in soundstage? yeah, K812 gives you that same feeling but in a different way. goosebumps....

Dec 5, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #184 of 4,825
My first experience with the HD800 involved a lot of wincing and brow furrowing, so...

Also, I don't know what it is but perforated metal reads to me as cheap...same thing with the prototype Fostex RP

Dec 5, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #185 of 4,825
Also, I don't know what it is but perforated metal reads to me as cheap...

Cheaper than plastic that paint chips?

Dec 5, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #187 of 4,825
  It seems I'm far more impressed by the AKG K812 so far than Tyll is.

I haven't heard the "tizzy" sound Tyll mentioned. That said, the K812 is not a forgiving headphone. I won't comment about how resolving I feel it is vis-à-vis the HD 800, as I don't have that with me now (but will soon). That said, the K812 is, to my ears, capable of very high resolution.

Hi Jude. Just to clarify: I find them a "bit" tizzy. Sounds to me something like there's always a triangle (the instrument) in the treble. I find it modestly fatiguing. I will also say though the I find the overall balance of the K812 better than the HD800, which to me lacks a little warmth in the bass. 

The three-pin cable connector indicates to me that AKG doesn't get, or isn't trying to impress this market yet. 

I still think it's a good effort on their part, lots of things like the aluminum build and novel earpads to admire, and I think these are markedly better sounding than the T1. But I think in the rush to the top (read: building $1000+ headphones) sonic performance in the market is not yet on par with the build quality these companies are putting into the product. I'd lump the HD800 into that category as well; seems like everyone agrees that they're a problematic headphone. Seems to me that the Audeze LCD-X is probably the closest to delivering a high price/performance ratio, but even there I feel we're well onto the steep diminishing returns curve.

In my estimation we're still in the infancy of ultra-high-end ($1000+) headphones, and it will be another 5 years before we really start seeing the performance of these cans strongly better than sub-$1000 headphones. 

In other words: Price still doesn't reflect acoustic performance on the whole, and the K812, T1, HD800, LCD-X, and others have plenty of room for improvement.

Dec 5, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #188 of 4,825
Nomax you rascal, when will the new Sennhieser be released? Will it be planar as the patent filings suggest? Will it replace the Orpheus as recent potentially in the know sales hint? Should current Orpheus owners sell now to avoid a decline in value? Nomax, break away from your vacation to tell us more!!!

Dec 5, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #189 of 4,825

Hi Jude. Just to clarify: I find them a "bit" tizzy. Sounds to me something like there's always a triangle (the instrument) in the treble. I find it modestly fatiguing. I will also say though the I find the overall balance of the K812 better than the HD800, which to me lacks a little warmth in the bass. 

Hi Tyll,
my experience this depend a little from the source.
With my WNA MKII headphone amp (all class A - the OPA too, 15 Ohm output impedance) its a bit more warmth
with GSP Audio Solo (class AB, 33 Ohm output impedance) its a little bit brighter 

You will laugh now, now I changes from my Marantz SA 7001 KI to my old Philips flagship CD 650 (that I self modified). And the sound improved a little bit.

What I would say with, the K812 is a bit analytic, and bring out all bad sounding, reveal weak spots.

The three-pin cable connector indicates to me that AKG doesn't get, or isn't trying to impress this market yet. 

This for the primary market of the K812 - the sound engineers, recording studios.

I still think it's a good effort on their part, lots of things like the aluminum build and novel earpads to admire, and I think these are markedly better sounding than the T1.

Yes, for me, the K812 sounds better than T1 - I could compare both. But I cannot speak for others!

Dec 5, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #190 of 4,825
Nomax you rascal, when will the new Sennhieser be released? Will it be planar as the patent filings suggest? Will it replace the Orpheus as recent potentially in the know sales hint? Should current Orpheus owners sell now to avoid a decline in value? Nomax, break away from your vacation to tell us more!!!

When it's nearer the time NOMAX will give you the the Information!Now its Time to Love the K812!regards NOMAX

Dec 5, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #191 of 4,825
When it's nearer the time NOMAX will give you the the Information!Now its Time to Love the K812!regards NOMAX

Coming home and hear with your K812 - you miss some fun! 
k701smile.gif

popcorn.gif

Dec 5, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #192 of 4,825
Coming home and hear with your K812 - you miss some fun! :k701smile:  :popcorn:

Next WEEK i come back from Holidays!i see fritzS you will Take my Part in the Future!ggggg:):wink::rolleyes: Its TIME FOR you to come and visit me at home!

Dec 5, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #193 of 4,825

Hi Jude. Just to clarify: I find them a "bit" tizzy. Sounds to me something like there's always a triangle (the instrument) in the treble. I find it modestly fatiguing. I will also say though the I find the overall balance of the K812 better than the HD800, which to me lacks a little warmth in the bass

I still think it's a good effort on their part, lots of things like the aluminum build and novel earpads to admire, and I think these are markedly better sounding than the T1. But I think in the rush to the top (read: building $1000+ headphones) sonic performance in the market is not yet on par with the build quality these companies are putting into the product. I'd lump the HD800 into that category as well; seems like everyone agrees that they're a problematic headphone. Seems to me that the Audeze LCD-X is probably the closest to delivering a high price/performance ratio, but even there I feel we're well onto the steep diminishing returns curve.

In my estimation we're still in the infancy of ultra-high-end ($1000+) headphones, and it will be another 5 years before we really start seeing the performance of these cans strongly better than sub-$1000 headphones. 

In other words: Price still doesn't reflect acoustic performance on the whole, and the K812, T1, HD800, LCD-X, and others have plenty of room for improvement.

Thanks for putting things into proper perspective, as I think many would disregard it vs the HD800 simply on your previous post, myself included.  I currently consider the HD800 to be my current personal favorite, though I had to sell mine awhile back for financial reasons and downgrade to a K712.  You've confirmed 2 of my hopes that I've highlighted, it having a warmer tonal balance than the HD800 and it at least technically outperforming the T1.  I've given up on planars for awhile (owned LCD-2 and HE-6) due to weight and to me there is still something akward about the planar soundstage to me vs. even affordable dynamics.

The slight tizziness is interesting.  Makes me thing some will eventually experiment with some felt/foam dampening mods for them.  I'm hoping Purrin will do some CSD measurements on them eventually, unless you also do CSD measurements as well.

I agree that the current uber-flagships are wildly overpriced relative to performance but it's good to see that the K812 at least "fits in" with the current crop of dynamic flagships.  My current K712 does some pretty impressive things relative to it's pricepoint but it still has a few small weaknesses inherent in the 7 series platform in general.

As far as the cable is concerned.  It could possibly go either way.  I'd guess for every person that posts here there is probably 20-50 or more lurkers that actively participate in the "market" and I would wager to guess that many of them don't consider balanced to be a very high priority.  Especially us "Wine taste on a beer budget" folks like myself.  Well designed single ended gear will always be inherently a better performance/value ratio just due to parts cost, unless it is intentionally inflated.  

I've previously done experimentation in the balanced arena but I've since resigned myself to building a very solid single ended rig because at my income level I just can't justify that extra bit myself.  I suspect that there are many others in my situation and the most of the balanced proponents are simply a very vocal and enthusiastic minority in terms of the total headphone market.

Dec 5, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #194 of 4,825
Considered the K812 myself, but no balanced is a no go for me after the purchase of my hdvd800. On a full balanced rig atm V800 > HDVD800 > HD800 with xlr cable and it's a darn shame AKG didn't leave the option in.

Might buy them in the future if I can find a local shop where I can test them, I don't consider the HD800 to be bass light and lacking in the bass area, but I do realise some other headphones have a warmer sound which I might actually enjoy considering I owned the V200 which made the HD800 sound a bit warmer.

Dec 5, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #195 of 4,825
  I notice that the K812 is only using a 3 wire (3 pin mini xlr) system leading out of the earcup instead of 4 like some other headphones. Not that it matters much but then making them balance would be pretty complicated.

Considered the K812 myself, but no balanced is a no go for me after the purchase of my ..........

...........BHA-1.
frown.gif

Dah??

And for the likes of me, why are most manufactures terminating their higher end phones with a mini plug and then a 1/4" adapter, should at least be the other way around?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back